Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cropping.

Old Saturday 24th August 2019, 18:33   #1
Neil G.

Cropping.

Does anybody know if you can crop your images in an A6000 as i can't find any way of doing this.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 24th August 2019, 18:53   #2
Neil G.

Just found out you cant crop your photos in camera.........how ridiculous,camera now being returned.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 25th August 2019, 06:29   #3
nikonmike

Genuinely interested question why would you want to crop in camera?
Old Sunday 25th August 2019, 07:13   #4
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike View Post
Genuinely interested question why would you want to crop in camera?
The reasons I do it (1.3 in-camera crop) in my Nikon D7200 are severalfold:
* More reach (though I concede that doing so post has the same effect and may even save a wingtip or two, but since I am using a zoom lens - Tamron G2 150-600 - if I am on the ball I can zoom out and this shouldn't happen too often)
* Speed - I get an extra fps to take it from 6 up to 7 when in the 1.3 in-camera crop mode.
* Greater 'effective' focus point coverage over more of the (smaller active part of the) screen. In practice it just places a line border around the cropped area. Theoretically better AF.
* Smaller file sizes - beneficial on the camera's SD card, and in the amount of computer memory taken up.
* Metering - more options in practice in certain situations.

I may be crazy but I wouldn't be without it :)
I wish all cameras did it - it's such a simple thing to do.

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 25th August 2019, 08:24   #5
Dave Williams

I think the poster is referring to PP in-camera, not a crop sensor. I'm curious as to why as well!!
Old Sunday 25th August 2019, 19:22   #6
nikonmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
The reasons I do it (1.3 in-camera crop) in my Nikon D7200 are severalfold:
* More reach (though I concede that doing so post has the same effect and may even save a wingtip or two, but since I am using a zoom lens - Tamron G2 150-600 - if I am on the ball I can zoom out and this shouldn't happen too often)
* Speed - I get an extra fps to take it from 6 up to 7 when in the 1.3 in-camera crop mode.
* Greater 'effective' focus point coverage over more of the (smaller active part of the) screen. In practice it just places a line border around the cropped area. Theoretically better AF.
* Smaller file sizes - beneficial on the camera's SD card, and in the amount of computer memory taken up.
* Metering - more options in practice in certain situations.

I may be crazy but I wouldn't be without it :)
I wish all cameras did it - it's such a simple thing to do.

Chosun
A lot of what you say covers how i felt moving to m4/3 after finding DX and the 150-600 zoom too heavy,in the D7200 you have a camera that crops well.
Old Monday 26th August 2019, 13:55   #7
Zackiedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil G. View Post
Just found out you cant crop your photos in camera.........how ridiculous,camera now being returned.
You do have a crop mode available in the camera - you can't POST PROCESS crop in camera, but you can set the camera to shoot in a zoom/crop mode like you described with your Nikon. Sony calls theirs 'smart zoom'...you enable it in the menu, and then set the resolution down accordingly (ie: Image Size: L - no crop, image-size M - 1.4 crop, image-size S - 2 crop).

There is also an up-rez zoom mode called Clear Image Zoom - this does an internal crop but then restores the resolution of the final product through uprezzing - for this mode, Image size L has a 2 crop, M has a 2.8 crop, and S has a 4 crop.

The third zoom option is standard digital zooming, which doesn't use any sensor-based cropping...it just digitally zooms into the photo like a typical smartphone.

The different zoom modes are enabled or disabled in the menu - you can choose which ones you want to use.

Zackiedawg's Photography Gallery
Old Monday 26th August 2019, 13:59   #8
etudiant
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackiedawg View Post
You do have a crop mode available in the camera - you can't POST PROCESS crop in camera, but you can set the camera to shoot in a zoom/crop mode like you described with your Nikon. Sony calls theirs 'smart zoom'...you enable it in the menu, and then set the resolution down accordingly (ie: Image Size: L - no crop, image-size M - 1.4 crop, image-size S - 2 crop).

There is also an up-rez zoom mode called Clear Image Zoom - this does an internal crop but then restores the resolution of the final product through uprezzing - for this mode, Image size L has a 2 crop, M has a 2.8 crop, and S has a 4 crop.

The third zoom option is standard digital zooming, which doesn't use any sensor-based cropping...it just digitally zooms into the photo like a typical smartphone.

The different zoom modes are enabled or disabled in the menu - you can choose which ones you want to use.
Thank you for this.
It is just the kind of useful insight that is hard to extract from the Sony menus or user manuals.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: