Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

I'm sore.

Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 15:54   #1
Danielbirdwatcher
Danielbirdwatcher

I'm sore.

I have taken too many photos of late and to my surprise, I am actually sore on my left shoulder, left pec, and left forearm. I have been physical all my life with weight lifting, cardio workouts and it took me a couple of days to realize what exactly is wrong after visiting my chiropractor. So I own a Nikon Coolpix P900 and I'm never really sore or just don't realize when I'm enjoying taking pictures of nature and birds and so forth. Interestingly I think my camera weighs almost or five pounds or two something kilos in European talk. So hopefully my muscles will calm down a bit in the next few weeks. Being a senior I'm used to living with pain. It happens when your parts exceed normal expectations after so much you have done in your life it eventually catches up with you. For one I broke my collar bone in my twenties and my skeleton is not exactly the same on both sides. Being flat-footed did me no favors too for laughing out loud. Oh well, I'm standing on a Soap Box here so I like to know is there anyone else in the photography world that has this happened to them?
of the tunnel has been turned off.
Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 16:21   #2
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Welcome to my world Daniel

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 16:28   #3
opisska
Jan Ebr

Inspired by the well-known "tennis elbow", I call my usual condition "birding elbow". I carry around the most lightweight DSLR+400mm lens combination in existence, which is less than 2 kg, but when I am out, I carry it all for days - and if any night-time activity is included, I dress it up with a flash, magbeam and an extra light ... It actually has a negative effect on my ability to play volleyball, but what would I not do for birds!
Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 16:32   #4
Danielbirdwatcher
Danielbirdwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Foggin View Post
Welcome to my world Daniel

Laughing out loud. If I only was I once was but smarter from life experiences I would be better off. Thanks, KC it always feels good to know you are not alone even though I'm a loner. lol.
Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 16:33   #5
Danielbirdwatcher
Danielbirdwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by opisska View Post
Inspired by the well-known "tennis elbow", I call my usual condition "birding elbow". I carry around the most lightweight DSLR+400mm lens combination in existence, which is less than 2 kg, but when I am out, I carry it all for days - and if any night-time activity is included, I dress it up with a flash, magbeam and an extra light ... It actually has a negative effect on my ability to play volleyball, but what would I not do for birds!
Yes, the constant mechanical movement that isn't in agreement with your whole body or maybe just one side can be a conflict lol.
Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 17:57   #6
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbirdwatcher View Post
I have taken too many photos of late and to my surprise, I am actually sore on my left shoulder, left pec, and left forearm. I have been physical all my life with weight lifting, cardio workouts and it took me a couple of days to realize what exactly is wrong after visiting my chiropractor. So I own a Nikon Coolpix P900 and I'm never really sore or just don't realize when I'm enjoying taking pictures of nature and birds and so forth. Interestingly I think my camera weighs almost or five pounds or two something kilos in European talk. So hopefully my muscles will calm down a bit in the next few weeks. Being a senior I'm used to living with pain. It happens when your parts exceed normal expectations after so much you have done in your life it eventually catches up with you. For one I broke my collar bone in my twenties and my skeleton is not exactly the same on both sides. Being flat-footed did me no favors too for laughing out loud. Oh well, I'm standing on a Soap Box here so I like to know is there anyone else in the photography world that has this happened to them?
Dan...I ache getting out of bed and on the go! that's why I shoot with a 1.83lbs Lumix FZ1000 bridge, but then I'm just a hack!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300312.jpeg  Yellow-Billed Cuckoo 10..jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	717997  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1560184.jpeg  Def.Yellow 9..jpg
Views:	37
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	717998  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1760665.jpeg  Osp.90..jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	717999  
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 00:52   #7
Danielbirdwatcher
Danielbirdwatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Dan...I ache getting out of bed and on the go! that's why I shoot with a 1.83lbs Lumix FZ1000 bridge, but then I'm just a hack!
Beautiful pictures. I used to have a lot of sciatica pain in my right leg. My Chiropractor has the machine DRX-9000 man that machine saved my life. I use to hurt just walking. If you are serious you should check into it.
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 05:54   #8
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Opisska

I hesitate to think of the weight of my set up with a heavy Sigma but intend to reduce it before my next trip. I may weigh it later....

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 08:02   #9
andyadcock

My wife carries and hand holds a Nikon D810 with a Sigma sport 150-600 lens amounting to about 4.5 kgs. After a day usiing that it hurts and when we come back from a trip of several weeks duration, such is the damage to the tendons in her wrist and hand, she has to employ a full hand and lower arm brace for several weeks,
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 09:24   #10
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbirdwatcher View Post
So I own a Nikon Coolpix P900 and I'm never really sore or just don't realize when I'm enjoying taking pictures of nature and birds and so forth. Interestingly I think my camera weighs almost or five pounds or two something kilos in European talk.
Did you get sore from your P900, or a different camera? A P900 weighs just under 2 pounds.

My TZ80 weighs about 1/3 of that. I'm tired of lugging cameras around.
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 09:35   #11
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
My wife carries and hand holds a Nikon D810 with a Sigma sport 150-600 lens amounting to about 4.5 kgs. After a day usiing that it hurts and when we come back from a trip of several weeks duration, such is the damage to the tendons in her wrist and hand, she has to employ a full hand and lower arm brace for several weeks,
That woman’s a saint!
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 12:21   #12
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
That woman’s a saint!
I know that, hence she's not a 'ex-wife'...................yet
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 14:14   #13
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
This sounds quite serious to me, are you sure it's a good idea to continue doing that?
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 18:15   #14
andyadcock

Quote:
This sounds quite serious to me, are you sure it's a good idea to continue doing that?
I do allow her to take time off for good behaviour....

The other option would be to lump a tripod around which she doesn't want to do and is just impractical most of the time.

Seriously though, it did become a problem but since we have the new baby we haven't done much birding and her wrist has recovered fully.
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 18:36   #15
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
I do allow her to take time off for good behaviour....

The other option would be to lump a tripod around which she doesn't want to do and is just impractical most of the time.

Seriously though, it did become a problem but since we have the new baby we haven't done much birding and her wrist has recovered fully.
Wait till baby starts getting heavier but insisting to still be carried ( how well I remember.....)
My camera and Sigma lens weigh in at 2.55 kilos but I carry them bandolier style rather than in my hand (at my age I too would end up suffering with strained hand and wrist pain). How we “suffer for our art” as someone once said (probably Shakespeare, it’s usually him).
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 18:55   #16
MJB

Quote:
How we “suffer for our art” as someone once said (probably Shakespeare, it’s usually him).
The phrase may have derived from Aldous Huxley's 1923 play Antic Hay:

“Perhaps it's good for one to suffer. Can an artist do anything if he's happy? Would he ever want to do anything? What is art, after all, but a protest against the horrible inclemency of life?”

However, that's far from certain.
MJB
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 19:31   #17
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
The phrase may have derived from Aldous Huxley's 1923 play Antic Hay:

“Perhaps it's good for one to suffer. Can an artist do anything if he's happy? Would he ever want to do anything? What is art, after all, but a protest against the horrible inclemency of life?”

However, that's far from certain.
MJB
Ah yes, Huxley, I like this one of his:
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.”
Old Friday 14th February 2020, 10:03   #18
MJB

Quote:
Ah yes, Huxley, I like this one of his:
“Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards.”
That could well be the motto of British Governments since the 1960s....!

Oh, I just realised I got the medium wrong: it's a comic novel, not a play, but perhaps there has been a theatre version?
MJB
Old Friday 14th February 2020, 10:49   #19
andyadcock

Quote:

Oh, I just realised I got the medium wrong: it's a comic novel, not a play, but perhaps there has been a theatre version?
MJB
Had JC got in it would have led to a very real 'Greek tragedy' but we digress Sir..............
Old Friday 14th February 2020, 11:04   #20
Farnboro John

Quote:

MJB
RAF VC10?

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: