Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Help With Badgers

Old Tuesday 27th September 2005, 06:10   #1
Ridge Walker

Help With Badgers

I had a lovley lawn until one morning when I got up. It looked as someone had been there with a rotivator, The top had been dug and turned. I was told it was Badgers. How do you stop them ie. putting something on the lawn to keep them off. I don't want to resort to drastic measures. There may be just one but it keeps coming back This is now 5 nights on the trot and its getting worse. HELP!
Old Tuesday 27th September 2005, 07:13   #2
saluki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Walker
I had a lovley lawn until one morning when I got up. It looked as someone had been there with a rotivator, The top had been dug and turned. I was told it was Badgers. How do you stop them ie. putting something on the lawn to keep them off. I don't want to resort to drastic measures. There may be just one but it keeps coming back This is now 5 nights on the trot and its getting worse. HELP!
Your best bet's an electric fence:

http://www.badgers.org.uk/badgerpage...badger-61.html

You shouldn't have to use it every night - try it for a week or so and just the presence of it should keep them away. It won't hurt the badgers, just give them a nasty sting on the nose. The one you require is only low and fairly inconspicuous, explain your problem to the manufacturers and they should advise you.

Other methods are Reynardine and creosolt - but they're messy and smelly!

Hope this helps.

saluki
Old Tuesday 27th September 2005, 07:45   #3
Susy

Are you sure it's badgers digging? I have known of badgers in my garden for over 10 years and the damage they do is limited to occasional snuffle holes. Most neighbours were unaware of the badgers visiting their gardens each night and any snuffle holes were attributed to grey squirrels. Having said this I know some places do have trouble with them digging under houses and sheds! Several people round here feed them so perhaps that minimises the damage to lawns etc. as, after all, they would be looking for worms. I know that feeding them is frowned on in some circles.

I think it would be illegal to use creosote now as a deterrent even if you could get hold of it.
Old Tuesday 27th September 2005, 08:34   #4
saluki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susy
Are you sure it's badgers digging? I have known of badgers in my garden for over 10 years and the damage they do is limited to occasional snuffle holes. Most neighbours were unaware of the badgers visiting their gardens each night and any snuffle holes were attributed to grey squirrels. Having said this I know some places do have trouble with them digging under houses and sheds! Several people round here feed them so perhaps that minimises the damage to lawns etc. as, after all, they would be looking for worms. I know that feeding them is frowned on in some circles.

I think it would be illegal to use creosote now as a deterrent even if you could get hold of it.
You're quite right Susy. In fact I've just found out that, as from March this year, Reynardine has also been banned - though I'm not quite sure why.

If the damage is occuring at night I doubt it's squirrels that are causing it - the only other mammal I can think of is Wild Boar, don't know if there's a feral population in the area? Foxes eat a great many worms but don't tend to dig for them as Badgers do, simply taking them off the surface on wet nights.

saluki
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: