Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Finding cuckoos?

Old Friday 25th May 2007, 08:52   #1
Pete Mella
Getting there...

Finding cuckoos?

Not a sniff this year, and time's racing on. Anyone got any tips?

And yes, I know to listen for them going "cuckoo".
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 13:52   #2
abagguley

I'd just hang around a reed bed with Reed Warblers in it (assuming you have one nearby) - there are still cuckoos knocking around the reed beds near here this week. I've been seeing them in the early morning, but I don't think time of day is that important.

Adrian
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 14:13   #3
Gill Osborne

I've still got to find one this year - been stuck working six days a week since early March so not much spare time left for birding

I have a week off starting next Saturday *2nd June* so am planning on getting out and about as much as possible - it's not too late to hear the cuckoo is it?

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th May 2007, 14:54   #4
Henstooth

No it's not too late to see them. I heard some only two days ago. As for seeing them it's so frustrating. I got lucky and saw one as it moved over water from one reed bed to another. I would suggest getting to some lakes near to you with a reed bed, and getting to a place where you can see down onto them. then wait till you hear the blighters and zero in on the sound. If no lakes near you then tougher still is the woods. Here they can hide a lot but you could be lucky if you get to a clearing or better still the wood edge over feilds. They tend to sit at the top of bushes / trees, so scanning might help. Good luck.
Henstooth
Old Friday 25th May 2007, 16:31   #5
mattie
matt

i heard one last night and saw 2 seperate cuckoos 1 was near the mill at flatford and one along the sea wall at brantham
Old Wednesday 30th May 2007, 11:34   #6
birdieboy123
All The Gear, No Idea

As your in Yorkshire try North Cliffe woods near North Cave. I saw one there about a month ago and he was still there on saturday when I visited again. It's on the heath at the back of the woods

My Flickr Photos
My Twitter @jpsadler
Old Wednesday 30th May 2007, 11:38   #7
bitterntwisted
Graham Howard Shortt

When you see one, Pete, you'll see more soon after. I've seen twenty-four different cuckoos now this year. Remember they often 'cuckoo' in flight, so have a scan as soon as you hear the call. As well as Reed Warbler, they also parasitise Meadow Pipit, so moorland edge can be a good place to look for you.

Graham

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 30th May 2007, 12:20   #8
NickPatel92

Had a male at Hornsea mere, showing and calling well on southern side at the reeds last Saturday.

Nick.
Old Wednesday 30th May 2007, 14:12   #9
Gill Osborne

Just like buses eh? None for nigh on two/three years then THREE at once!!!

I was on the coast at Druridge Pools on Sunday (and Monday & Tuesday!) looking for the elusive pair of Lesser Scaup *got them eventually!* and had a male fly over my head closely followed by a rather angry Meadow Pipit!!!
Then further on had cracking views of another male flying over the pools towards the reed beds

It's been FABULOUS hearing and seeing them after so many years Before Sunday I hadn't heard any for two or three years and hadn't seen one since the late 80's

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 30th May 2007, 14:31   #10
djwa11y
wally

Cuckoos on Mull

We were on the Isle of Mull during their recent Wildisles Week. Whilst cycling down the forest track to view the famous Sea Eagles I heard and the spotted two cuckoos, male and female presumably, calling and displaying on the wing. I had only seen, my first, solitary cuckoo the previous week in Ireland so I was excited and impressed at the same time by this unexpected treat. We hadn't gone looking for cuckoos so I guess luck will always play a part. Hope you are as lucky as wew were.

Dave
Old Wednesday 30th May 2007, 14:37   #11
Gill Osborne

They ARE fabulous birds aren't they Dave

And, seeing as it's your first post on BF, welcome to the site

Best warn you though....it's terribly addictive and you'll end up like the rest of us - tapping away on the pc instead of out birding!!!

Old Wednesday 30th May 2007, 23:11   #12
The Valley Walker

Saw my 1st ever cuckoos last Friday....they were perched on a fence on the edge of a clearing in a forrest, it was nearly dusk.
Old Friday 1st June 2007, 01:24   #13
Sue Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Osborne View Post
it's not too late to hear the cuckoo is it?
Hi Gill,

To answer the above question; no you've still around another month to find them and relish in the changed song with that beautiful bubbling sound. We have them on the Levels and always see and hear them in Scotland. Anywhere near water are usually the best places, but we've seen them perched on fences and low trees on moorland. Keep scanning and watch for in-flight ones, singing as they go. I adore that haunting sound and just wish their numbers would pick up.

Good luck all,

Sue.

Old Thursday 7th June 2007, 19:18   #14
Nikon Kid
Love them Sula Bassana

We have had a few Cuckoo's in Crown Lakes Farcet Peterborough
They have been around for A Few Weeks only saw them in flight
once ............

My Images http://www.pbase.com/canon_boy

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 7th June 2007, 19:27   #15
Barred Wobbler

There was a cuckoo flying round in front of the White-tailed Lapwing this afternoon.
Old Friday 8th June 2007, 06:53   #16
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Wright View Post
Hi Gill,

To answer the above question; no you've still around another month to find them and relish in the changed song with that beautiful bubbling sound. We have them on the Levels and always see and hear them in Scotland. Anywhere near water are usually the best places, but we've seen them perched on fences and low trees on moorland. Keep scanning and watch for in-flight ones, singing as they go. I adore that haunting sound and just wish their numbers would pick up.

Good luck all,

Sue.
Agree the Levels are a good place, during my otterless fifteen hours in teh Meare Heath hide last week I saw 2 males and a female that was sitting in a bush on an island in front of the hide looking for Reed Warbler nests.

John
Old Friday 8th June 2007, 15:44   #17
javva
Caffeine fiend.

I saw my first Cuckoos' last Saturday morning at RSPB's Stumpstaw Fen near Norwich. It's an ideal site for 'Cuckooing' having read the posts above. Prime Reed Warbler country!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 8th June 2007, 17:39   #18
rosbifs

One hanging around Lourdes golf club. Seen it twice - my last two rounds. A real treat shame not too many birdies on the course (sorry).
Other birds on the gold course - Squacco Heron(!), Booted Eagle, Griffon Vulture, Serin, Red and Black Kites, Black Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, GS Woodpecker, Common Sandpiper etc........
Old Friday 8th June 2007, 17:57   #19
Gill Osborne

Had FANTASTIC views of a male flying by at Harthope Valley today

Crazy.....I don't see them for years and now I've had FIVE in the past fortnight!!! Perhaps I'm just getting my 'eye' in on what jizz to look out for

Old Saturday 9th June 2007, 22:12   #20
Londontel

Showing well at Spurn Point which is not too far from you. This was last Tuesday 05 June.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 9th June 2007, 22:22   #21
bitterntwisted
Graham Howard Shortt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill Osborne View Post
Had FANTASTIC views of a male flying by at Harthope Valley today

Crazy.....I don't see them for years and now I've had FIVE in the past fortnight!!! Perhaps I'm just getting my 'eye' in on what jizz to look out for
It's weird that, isn't, but so true. Once you get a new or unfamiliar bird your eye is in and you get a run of them. What I don't understand is why it then ends for no apparent reason. I've only had two peregrines and no Lesser Whitethroats in the last few weeks after great runs on both. And since getting to my 28th seen Cuckoo of the year in Scotland I've heard another seven but seen none of them. Perhaps each species behaviour changes subtly through the year in ways that make them more or less visible? Apart from the obvious changes in song, amount of foliage and migratory movements there could be more subtle differences in how wary they are, how they forage etc. Certainly subtle things like Chaffinch call notes change week to week through the year.

Graham

Old Wednesday 13th June 2007, 22:55   #22
J Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterntwisted View Post
It's weird that, isn't, but so true. Once you get a new or unfamiliar bird your eye is in and you get a run of them. What I don't understand is why it then ends for no apparent reason. I've only had two peregrines and no Lesser Whitethroats in the last few weeks after great runs on both. And since getting to my 28th seen Cuckoo of the year in Scotland I've heard another seven but seen none of them. Perhaps each species behaviour changes subtly through the year in ways that make them more or less visible? Apart from the obvious changes in song, amount of foliage and migratory movements there could be more subtle differences in how wary they are, how they forage etc. Certainly subtle things like Chaffinch call notes change week to week through the year.

Graham

I find I tend to put less effort into looking for the less obtrusive birds once I've seen them a few times in a short period. You always get the occasional urge to re-see these birds, but sometimes just a call is enough for me. Means i can cover more ground, seeing more of a range of birds, or something.

Jason
Old Friday 15th June 2007, 10:26   #23
HarassedDad
Norfolk County Butterfly Recorder

There's always one in the car park that leads to the south bank of braydon Water in Great yarmouth, for anyone in Norfolk. Also Wheatfen (opposite bank of the river to Strumpshaw) appears to share the same cuckoo as strumpshaw.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: