• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Russian shrooms (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Foraging is very big here in Russia and people are coming back from the forest 'bagged up' so I thought I'd give it a go. The only problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing!

The last two days, I've come back with about 2kgs of fungi with very little effort, however, after scrutiny by my wife who is a third or fourth gen forager, I ended up with about 100g of edible stuff but it is fun.

Here's the most interesting thing I found today Purple Webcap Cortinarius violaceus. Edible but not a favourite and said to turn anything else cooked with it, purple.

Attachments

• 4766239654253401314.jpg
    4766239654253401314.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 14
  • rsz_1694397375724034839.jpg
    rsz_1694397375724034839.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 10
Hi Andy,

Please be careful! These are obviously not Cortinarius violaceus, which is easily identifiable by its scaly, deep purple cap.

No Cortinarius species should be eaten IMO, there are some fatally poisonous ones.

Best regards,
Nick

Hi Andy,

Please be careful! These are obviously not Cortinarius violaceus, which is easily identifiable by its scaly, deep purple cap.

No Cortinarius species should be eaten IMO, there are some fatally poisonous ones.

Best regards,
Nick

Many thanks again Nick,
we don't eat anything that my wife isn't absolutely certain is edible but thanks for the waning!

Perfectly illustrated my incompetence, ID was based on Josephine Bacon's 'ID guide to Mushrooms of Britain and Northern Europe', they are purple, pale admittedly and they have the 'veil'?

Hi Andy,

I would look in the area of Cortinarius traganus for this (I believe species in this group can be toxic).

I don't have access to the book you mention, but beware there are mistakes even in popular guides :eek!:

Cheers,
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back