• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

yosemites 6x30 vs 8x30? (1 Viewer)

It's possible that the Yosemites' actual magnifications may not be quite as specified. I evaluated an 8x30 back in June ( http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=116600 ), but unfortunately didn't bother to measure the true magnification.

The effective eye relief of the 8x30 model could be longer. It's limited by the design of the eyepiece housing rather than the optics because the eyelens is recessed more than necessary.

Henry,

If I recall correct Ed Zarenski (EdZ) measured the true magnification of the Yosemite 6x30 to be 5,8x.

Regards, Patric

I had a chance to test the Yosemite 8x30 today in a store. I had the Eagle Oprics SRT 8x32 with me, and the store had a Leupold Mesa 8x42 porro. The latter tow were easy to use and focus. The Yosemite had nearly the same resolution but I spent more time fiddling with focus and diopter to get it to some optimum.

They were marked to 80 dollars in the store, still had to pass. I guess I have too many choices to use, this does not add much. And not as good as my Legend 8x42s optically.

Last edited:
Is flare control the same, terrible, on 8x30 as it is on 6x30?

See my comments here:

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1339443#post1339443

I found that within 20 or 30 degrees of low sun (fall/winter) and brightly lit clouds do induce really bad stray light issues for Yosemite even when viewing "horizontally". This is the one time I've seen it "fall apart" with veiling glare.

The other time (not quite fall apart but be rather annoying) was lloking at tree tops with a bright sky behind.

It's rather worse than some of the other 8x30ish (roofs) I have here.

I checked out the Leupold Yosemite 8x30 (and also had a 7x35 Nikon Action to side by side with.

Cant say as I like the Actions too much at all. The Yosemite were superior in many ways.....not least of all was feel in the hands.

Ill be getting some 8x30 Yosemites. I dont care for the optical illusion of better sharpness in a smaller AFOV that the 6x Yosemites give....the slight superior brightness or the marginally larger real FOV. Ill take the larger AFOV and slightly higher power, with slightly decreased apparent sharpness/ brightness/ real FOV.

Im really not a fan of the 50 degree AFOV.

Did I say how great these felt in the hand? The eyepieces were a joy as well.

Last edited:
Well, there is something a little odd with the 7x35s. I would prefer 8x40 Actions for optics. But I never liked them overall, so my 8x40 Actions are gone too.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back