• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leupold Cascade Porro Prism Binoculars (2 Viewers)

Hi Chad, It is not that I didn't want to purchase any glass, I don't think my wife would of been happy if I came home with binoculars instead of boots.:) If you want to purchase excellent optics this is THE place to go in Central Pa.

I forgot to say, yes they do take Visa and other cards. These people might be Amish and make money in a business, but what is wrong with that? They are birders for sure and very nice people at this place.
Regards,Steve

Can someone compare Leupold Cascade Porro with Nikon Action EX for sharpness & contrast ?
(My friend wants to buy 8x porro..)

Please also consider adding the Bushnell Legend porro, the Celestron Ultima DX porro and the Orion Ultraview porro to that list for comparison.

I own all of them. The Cascade displays the least amount of CA of any but the Orion. It has the best edge sharpness (but with a subsequently narrower field of view) and the best depth of field of any of the models in question. It is also the lightest by a significant margin and has the best handling in my humble opinion. Throw in the fact that it is the only internal focus model and therefore has, theoretically, the best waterproofing (the Ultraviews are not advertised as waterproof).

That is the short of it. If you are looking for something more specific then just ask.

It has the best edge sharpness (but with a subsequently narrower field of view) and the best depth of field of any of the models in question. It is also the lightest by a significant margin and has the best handling in my humble opinion.

Cascade's depth of field and colors - better, than ZR Summit ?

Better depth of field = almost assuredly yes, because of the Porro prism design.

I don't know about any comparison of colors.

I own both the ZRS HD and the Cascade porro(both 8x). To me, the Cascade displays better color representation, has a little less CA, and seems to be a little sharper. Greater depth of field in the Cascade as well.

But I like them both.:t::D

And thanks to all for all the helpful information I find on this forum.

Last edited:
Today I looked at store some binoculars, Cascades 10x42 (not 8x 8-( ), Yosemite 8x30, Mesa 10x50, Bushnell Legend 8x32.
Yosemite 8x30 is some dark and has small ER for me. (with glasses).
Surprise - but Legend 8x32 roof has slightly more sharpness and contrast (center, not edges), that Cascades 10x42.
Hmm, 16 mm ER of Legend is bigger, that 16mm of some others..
(Perhaps, it was defective Cascades.)

mmx,

I do not doubt your observations. Quality control at this price point can sometimes be hit or miss...and we all see things slightly differently when we look through binoculars.

I recently tried another pair of the 8x32 Legends and thought just the opposite. Once I got over the faster focus I tried to objectively evaluate the optics alone. They certainly are fine for a $200 roof but in direct comparison to the 8x42 Cascade porro I did not think there was a comparison.

Still, this is the type of discussion that makes binoculars so much fun.

Today I looked at store some binoculars, Cascades 10x42 (not 8x 8-( ), Yosemite 8x30, Mesa 10x50, Bushnell Legend 8x32.
Yosemite 8x30 is some dark and has small ER for me. (with glasses).
Surprise - but Legend 8x32 roof has slightly more sharpness and contrast (center, not edges), that Cascades 10x42.
Hmm, 16 mm ER of Legend is bigger, that 16mm of some others..
(Perhaps, it was defective Cascades.)

I would assume you tested a porro 10x42 Cascade and not the roof.
Regards,Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back