• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Puerto Rica and Souther Caribbean Cruise - December 2010 (1 Viewer)

Grant, Excellent reports. I can't wait to go in March, even though I know I won't be able to bird as much as you did. If you only had one day where would you have gone?
Lisa

Thanks!

I was mostly in the southwestern corner, but that's a long way from San Juan unless you're headed down that way anyway. If you're going to be around San Juan, I think I'd do El Yunque if I only had a day. I didn't get there this time, but definitely plan to if I go back. You can get many endemics there, and there's always a shot at the parrot (though very much a long shot).

If you're going to be in the southwest area, you could easily do Guanica (in the morning for the best general birding, and if you get there before dawn you've got a shot at the nightjar and screech-owl), Laguna Cartagena, and the Yellow-shouldered Blackbirds in Parguera in a day. Guanica and Cartagena are each less than 30 minutes from Parguera, though in opposite directions.

Last edited:
I think I would prefer the Guanica area (combined with surrounding as Grant states above), but it is a long drive from San Juan, as has been said.

I also agree that El Yunque might be the best bet for a single day outing from San Juan without excessive driving. However, if you get into contact with a local guide, there could be an alternative in going west and combining (lowland) forest (I believe the one I am thinking of is Cambalache) with the wetlands just north of that forest (I think that is called the Tiburones area).

Niels

Grant and Niels, thanks so much for the information. We are staying in a house in old San Juan for the week. Definitely will be doing as much walking in any "birdy" area that I can. And I do plan on trying to get a guide for a day. Will let you know how it goes.
Lisa

Cruise part one - US Virgin Islands

I'm just a little bit behind on these reports. I'll try to catch up. Here are the first two days of the cruise itself, in the US Virgin Islands.

St. John’s – December 12, 2010

Our cruise’s first port of call was the island of St. Thomas, of the U.S. Virgin Islands. But we pretty much skipped it, and took the ferry to the neighboring St. John’s. St. John’s is relatively undeveloped since the majority of the island is protected in the Virgin Islands National Park. The plan was to do some snorkeling along the coral reefs, with just a little birding.

You can do a good bit here without a car, but since there were some out of the way places I wanted to go and we were on a strict schedule, we rented a car for the day. The only cars available are four wheel drive Jeeps. After just a few minutes of driving I could see why. These were the steepest, craziest roads I had ever driven. I think a 4×4 high clearance vehicle was necessary to make it up some of the hills!

The first stop was the Cinnamon Bay loop trail for a token shot at Bridled Quail-dove. This is a short loop through the forest. It’s probably not the best place on the island for the dove, but it was the most convenient for us. It was not very birdy at all; I only recorded a couple Pearly-eyed Thrashers and Bananaquits.

The rest of the day was spent driving around exploring the island and some snorkeling at world-famous Trunk Bay, considered one of the world’s most beautiful beaches. The snorkeling was fine, given the number of people around. There were a good many fish, and some coral. But it was a good thing we did this first, as it paled in comparison to the snorkeling later in the trip. The highlight for me was my lifer of the day – Brown Booby. Three of them were perched on the rocks above the snorkeling area.

The only other birds seen on St. John’s were Brown Pelican, Red-tailed Hawk, Zenaida Dove, Common Ground-dove, and Gray Kingbird.

St. Croix – December 13, 2010

Day two saw us in St. Croix, the largest of the U.S. Virgin Islands. The plan was much the same as the day before – snorkeling and a little exploring and shopping in town. Any birding would be incidental.

About a month before our trip, I had booked a trip to Buck Island Reef National Monument (direct with Big Beard’s). We took a boat to the pristine offshore island where we snorkeled among a much larger and diverse coral reef. There were a few birds around, such as an Osprey, Brown Boobies, and several Magnificent Frigatebirds. While frigatebirds are very common in the Caribbean, I don’t think I could ever get tired of seeing them overhead. But the most exciting views were decidedly aquatic rather than aerial. I didn’t see any hoped-for sea turtles, but a sting ray, several Barracuda, and many kinds of coral were ample compensation.

We had lunch along the water’s edge in Christiansted. Rock Pigeons and House Sparrows were expected, but a small group of Ruddy Turnstones foraging near the tables was not. One of them was even banded. From what I could find online, the light green flag means that it was banded in Suriname. I reported the sighting, but haven’t heard anything back yet on the origin of the bird.

I got my lifer-of-the-day at the cruise ship pier at nearly the last minute. A hummingbird put in a brief appearance. From what I could see, along with the location, it had to be a Green-throated Carib.

Also at the pier I recorded both Caspian and Royal Terns. While Royal is to be expected, it seems that Caspian is regarded as a vagrant outside the Greater Antilles and Barbados. I remember the purported Caspians flying right overhead, and I didn’t have much doubt about them. But I’d be grateful if anyone knows the current status of any Caspians in the Virgin Islands.

Overall, it was a very pleasant two days. Not much in the way of birds, but some great snorkeling and I got to add several ticks to my national parks, not to mention bird, life list.

The turnstone was the only decent bird picture I got, but there are a couple scenery shots on my blog post.

Attachments

• Ruddy Turnstone St Croix.jpg
    Ruddy Turnstone St Croix.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 58
Cruise part 2 - Antigua

December 14, 2010

Antigua was the one port-of-call on our cruise where there wasn’t anything that my wife and I really wanted to do. This island is known for its beaches, but we aren’t really “beach people”. And for me, there were no birds that couldn’t be found elsewhere. So we decided to check what excursions the cruise line offered. We decided on one that would take us kayaking among mangroves and then snorkeling off of Great Bird Island. Great Bird Island sounded promising!

On the bus ride from the cruise ship pier to the kayak docks it was obvious that little native vegetation is left on the island, at least in the interior. But I still spotted a couple birds, including my first Carib Grackles. Birds weren’t that plentiful in the mangroves, either. The only ones I saw were an Osprey and White-crowned Pigeon (though it would be the only one seen on the trip).

After kayaking for a little while, some motorboats took us offshore to Great Bird Island, where we could snorkel the coral reef. But before jumping in the water, we took a short (but steep!) trail up to the top of the island. What a view!

The view got infinitely better when I spotted two white birds cavorting over the far end of the island – a pair of Red-billed Tropicbirds! These two, my first tropicbirds, were utterly magnificent and worth coming all this way to see.

Singing Yellow Warblers made me wonder if they were the local breeding “Golden” Warblers, or wintering birds. But the only look I got was one in flight. Otherwise, the only birds on this small island were a Brown Pelican, and the ever-present Gray Kingbird, and Bananaquit. The snorkeling, however, was pretty good. There wasn’t the variety of coral as Buck Island, but more fish.

While loading up the bus for the return trip, we noticed a Bananaquit building a nest right next to us. I also got a brief look at a small, plain brown bird with some red highlights on the wings. Not immediately recognizing it, I passed it off as an exotic. But while looking through the field guide later that night, I realized it was a female Lesser Antillean Bullfinch – very much a native, and a lifer to boot.

It was a good day, overall. The tropicbirds alone made up for the otherwise relative dearth of birds. And while the interior of the island doesn’t look all that appealing, the mangroves and offshore islands were very nice.

Coming up next is the Caribbean’s “Nature Island”, Dominica…

Bird Island is not half bad, I have also had sooty terns out there

In antigua, my favorite spot are the salt ponds (name of which escapes me at the moment): the big one n of St Johns usually holds Little Egret and also often West Indian Whistling Duck in addition to more common species like Wilson's Plover. Further south on the island, I have seen masked duck.

Niels

Good report, Grant. I hope to spend some birding time in the Caribbean some day. I wonder if you (or anyone else out there) has read "A Birder's West Indies" by Roland H. Wauer from 1996. It stirred my interest in a place that's seldom reported. I'd like to hear from someone who lives in the Caribbean, say Dominica or someplace like it, about the birds they see on a regular basis in any season.

Steve

I'll have to check out the salt ponds if we get back. Little Egret would be nice!

Steve, I haven't read that book, but have enjoyed his US National Parks books. I'll have to check it out.

Good report, Grant. I hope to spend some birding time in the Caribbean some day. I wonder if you (or anyone else out there) has read "A Birder's West Indies" by Roland H. Wauer from 1996. It stirred my interest in a place that's seldom reported. I'd like to hear from someone who lives in the Caribbean, say Dominica or someplace like it, about the birds they see on a regular basis in any season.

Steve

I think that might be a hint ;) I would say that at any season, a two week visitor should get between 45 and 55 species in Dominica (but no house sparrows!). My first season here, I got 80 species in 12 month, a feat I have not risen to since. I am currently at about 106 for the island, and considerably more for Caribbean overall; Dominica miss the salt ponds and similar habitat that makes shorebirds very exiting on a lot of our neighbor islands, but we have a relatively high number of the regional endemics.

I have had several rare visitors to Dominica, which tell me that there is much to be discovered that none of us see!

Niels

PS: yes, I got Wauer's book at about the same time I moved here and read it with pleasure. In a place with lots of pressure from development and hurricanes, not everything is realistic any more.

I think that might be a hint ;)
Niels

PS: yes, I got Wauer's book at about the same time I moved here and read it with pleasure. In a place with lots of pressure from development and hurricanes, not everything is realistic any more.

Well taken, Niels :-O 1996 was 15 years ago, wasn't it?

Steve

Well taken, Niels :-O 1996 was 15 years ago, wasn't it?

Steve

The pools in Antigua are Mc Kinnons pools.
We too did a Carribean cruise and had a great time birdwatching.
Dom Rep,Dominica and Antigua were brilliant.St Maarten wasn't bad neither.
There is a complex of pools behind the main shopping area.Grenada was great for birdwatching near to the cruise terminal
Here is my report from McKinnons Pools.This was walkable from the cruise ship.It was unforgetable.

St John’s Antigua:

Harbour: Brown Pelican, Magnificent Frigatebird, Royal Tern, Peregine Falcon, Laughing Gull, Greater Black-backed Gull, Cattle Egret,

Walk from St Johns to Dickinson Bay; McKinnons Salt Pools at Dickinson Bay were amazing.It is well worth the 3 mile walk from the ship through the car park as you turn left out of the cruise terminal. Then walk through the less than charming housing area before taking a parallel course to the cruise ships.You will soon reach either a roundabout or a road going north past the old football stadium and a school. Once you get away from the more densely housed area there are lots of birds to see. Aim first for the big sea inlet lagoon type area.[If you want to avoid this walk simply take a taxi direct to Dickonson Bay]: Yellow Warbler, Antillean Crested Hummingbird, Green-throated Carib, House Sparrow, White Crowned Pigeon, Carib Grackle,
Ground Dove, Zenaida Dove, Black-bellied Plover, Black-necked Stilt,

Mckinnon’s Pools: Brown Pelican, Magnificent Frigatebird, Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Cattle Egret, Green Heron,Tri coloured Heron, Little Blue Heron, Laughing Gull, Sandwich Tern, White-cheeked Pintail, American Coot, Common Moorhen, Ruddy Turnstone, Black-necked Stilt, Spotted Sandpiper, Semipalmated Plover, Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, Black-bellied Plover, Bananaquit, Green-throated Carib.

Steve

Steve, I forgot to link to the Opus page for Dominica, where I have tried to collect some information

Niels

Congrats to the Elfins-Wood Warbler, and in head hight aswell! I did a try in February without luck. Windy and some fog in the early morning made it hard. Didn't exactly know where to go, not many trails around the visitors center. Did find some trails in the end of the day from some other part of the park, had during mid-day been wasting time at a coffee festival in Maricao (it was fun though!), but later it was not much activity among the birds. Acctually asked a worker at the visitor center but they had no clue and seemed not to know what bird it was even though I showed a picture. I wish I had seen these posts to ask before for some better advice. Except for this, and a friend catching dengue, the trip was a success. Got up to 95 species in 2,5 weeks on PR (and Culebra) even though first week in San Juan was work.

Another park that is not spoken of so much in birding reports from PR is Susua state forest where one can see most of the things aswell, not the wood warbler though. Camped there for 3 nights and every night I fell a sleep to the sound of owls and nightjars.

/Peter

Sorry about the missed warbler, Peter. The directions in the books I had weren't very clear, and it took asking one of the workers (who only spoke Spanish, but my wife was able to converse with him, luckily) to figure out where the trails were. Definitely an easy bird to miss.

I did make a quick stop by Susua, but it was the middle of the day, and the gate was closed. So we didn't get very far. If I ever go back, I'll have to make a point to try for the owl and nightjar there.

Thanks, Niels

Grant: Thats true, Susua is hard to get to during night unless one is staying in the park over night or want to walk down the valley. Maybe one wouldn't need to walk all the way down to get them. Usually one have to book in advance, we where lucky since we hadn't booked. We met the owners and they let us stay anyway, really nice people. Stayed for 3 days and made daytrips from there. If hot showers and TV is required, don't stay there :), no electricity to the small cottages yet. Tenting is not allowed for the moment (which we wanted to do) but they plan to open up an area for that.

/Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back