• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pale looking Lesser Whitethroat.....? (1 Viewer)

KenM

First image taken two years ago in September (N.E.London) taken to be nominate S.curruca. the rest of the images are of a different bird, taken last week in the same place. Because the 2nd bird was brightly lit, I've darkened it a touch, however it is still quite Pallid. Comments please.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1160007 (2) A Grdn. Lesser Whitethroat 18.9.15 for comp..jpg
    P1160007 (2) A Grdn. Lesser Whitethroat 18.9.15 for comp..jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 151
  • P1570486.jpeg  Grdn.LW 3..jpeg
    P1570486.jpeg Grdn.LW 3..jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 148
  • P1570498.jpeg  Grdn.LW 1. comp..jpeg
    P1570498.jpeg Grdn.LW 1. comp..jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 145
  • P1570502.jpeg  Grdn.LW.7..jpeg
    P1570502.jpeg Grdn.LW.7..jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 62
The first image is over saturated so its richness of tone isn't reliable for comparison. FWIW the rest look like subsp. curruca to me - as I remember them anyway ;)

It didn't call, here is another shot of last weeks bird if it's of any help?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1570490.jpeg  Grdn.LW.2..jpeg
    P1570490.jpeg Grdn.LW.2..jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 70
Its a very nice bird Ken - and I'm waiting to find one down here where they are very rare indeed - only 5/6 records. IIRC the other races have a paler nape comparing with the crown.

Yes thanks Simon, I seem to be attracting odd looking Lesser Whitethroat sps, particularly over the last few years between mid-September and the beginning of October. This (last weeks) bird struck me as looking somewhat paler than most.

cheers

You need the tail pattern to do them from photos. Blythi are now known to be pretty regular from mid-autumn onward with halimodendri a rare vagrant.

You need the tail pattern to do them from photos. Blythi are now known to be pretty regular from mid-autumn onward with halimodendri a rare vagrant.

Yes, FWIW here's one from the same site last year, I believe the tail pattern supports ''Eastern'' Lesser Whitethroat (white margins to the 1st/2nd and white tip to 3rd rectrice). Don't know whether this form is occurring more frequently because of increased observer coverage, or a real surge from the East during this period, I also had a ''Desert'' type during Oct '14 (basically looked like a Desert Warbler with a grey cap), and this is in a land locked county....strange times!

Cheers

Attachments

• P1410231.jpeg  LW tail 1..jpeg
    P1410231.jpeg LW tail 1..jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 32
  • P1410232.jpeg  LW tail 2..jpeg
    P1410232.jpeg LW tail 2..jpeg
    314.1 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back