• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm out of the Alpha club. (1 Viewer)

You must be a near pauper, given the amount of dicretion in your posts 8-P
H

You got that right. I have no retirement from anywhere. Being put out to pasture is not the same as being retired. I have the right to place “Ret.” after my Navy rank but I certainly don’t get any of the money that should come with it. And, although most of my week is spent in writing I still keep BF in the corner of my screen. If anyone wants a piece I just did on night-vision gear for Cruising Outpost, just send your real email address—[email protected] And, yes, I did recognize being slammed.

And Gunut: I only figured my book would keep me in hamburgers. It’s still doing that ... barely! :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Try writing "Optics In Space" Sci fi novels with lots of alien sex. I'll be your agent.

On another note I got paid finally for the sale of the 8x50B and they liked them so much they gave me an extra $100 smackers. I had reduced the price $100 because I knew them. It pays to sell things to rich people. They also bought my Oberwerk monopod which I used with those monsters. Now I can by a new Mini Mac and keep posting. Yipee!

For 1/2 the cost of the "A-list" bino you can have 95% of its performance. I bought my "A-list" bino before the crowd came to accept it as an A-lister. Some people feel the need to fit into the A-list crowd. I choose to be thought of as a fellow with more discretion than money. I must work hard on the prior because I certainly fall short on the latter. :cat:

Bill

I couldn't agree more, and the reason I only have one "A-lister" left. Haven't missed a thing as far as I can tell.

I too agree. I'm glad to see some others feel similar. I think optics are so good today that for $150 to $500 you can have something that is fully capable of wowing your eyeballs and you need never feel deprived at not having spent $1-3000. And another thing is if my $300 binocular gets busted or stolen I won't shed many tears, nor will I worry too much about protecting it from every scratch or bump in the field. That's a major consideration for me. I don't want to be worrying about my jewel. I want to play hard with it. If I spent more than a grand I'd be too protective of it to just forget about it. That comes from growing up lower middle class and others may not experience that fear.

that's a phrase that loses in translantic translation...
I don't know the meaning.
It was purely lightly jocular in a warm way, from me.:t:
Best
Harry

Harry:

How many times has using humor (okay ... humour) gotten me in trouble? But, that's okay, too; I'll let you live ... this time. Becides, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :cat:

Bill

PS And if the above offends you, talk to Lee about it. I think after 15 years he has figured me out.
PPS I din't know they were into humour: I thought they were into pudding and dogs.

Last edited:
I too agree. I'm glad to see some others feel similar. I think optics are so good today that for $150 to $500 you can have something that is fully capable of wowing your eyeballs and you need never feel deprived at not having spent $1-3000. And another thing is if my $300 binocular gets busted or stolen I won't shed many tears, nor will I worry too much about protecting it from every scratch or bump in the field. That's a major consideration for me. I don't want to be worrying about my jewel. I want to play hard with it. If I spent more than a grand I'd be too protective of it to just forget about it. That comes from growing up lower middle class and others may not experience that fear.

I've noticed a disturbing trend in my binocular obsession. As a binobolic, I have a morbid fear of finding myself without a binocular, and so I keep a binocular (OK sometimes 2) in the car for just such an emergency. At first it was a $60 reverse Poro 8x25, and when I went on a road trip with no birding or astronomy events I wouldn't "risk" my regular $179 binoculars. As I started spending more on my regular binoculars, my risk threshold increased, so that the $179 binocular became my emergency backup in the car.

The impact of a $60 or $200 or $500 loss is no different than it was before, but my sense of the tragedy of such a loss is somehow tempered by what I think it is worth paying for my regular binocular. Or maybe it is just that the $179 binocular is a sunk cost, and it has more utility in the car than the closet. And when I do find myself unexpectedly in a great birding spot with a little time on my hands, I am both thankful to have that binocular in the car and pleasantly surprised at how well it serves me.

BTW, not long ago I spent $150 to put a better quality emergency binocular in my wife's car though I rarely drive it. My name is Alan and ...

Sadly, I've never been in the Alpha Club. I've considered it. I've handled and admired plenty, but from a pure enthusiasts standpoint, I guess I'd rather have 3-4 sets of different sized $500-800 glass at near Alpha quality than one single Alpha.

I find the best deals on what I call Beta level glass that can actually be had on the slightly-used market or discontinued market for a much bigger discount than used Alpha glass.

It's not that I can't afford Alpha, it's just a matter of principle. Nothing makes me happier than finding a great deal on quality glass.

The closest I've come to Alpha is almost buying a set of discontinued Swaro companion 10x30's on sale at Cabela's for $849 last month. Yes, I know the Companions still are not considered 'Alpha' by some folks. (I was going to use $100 gift card acquired on ebay when they are discounted to $80 each. They would have only cost $680 plus tax, which is a bit over half their retail, but I spent money on a spotting scope and tripod instead.)

Last edited:
Harry:

How many times has using humor (okay ... humour) gotten me in trouble?
to quote Reverend Jim.... 7?

Was I right?

But, that's okay, too; I'll let you live ... this time.
Most gracious

Becides, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones
but they do
. :cat:

Bill

PS And if the above offends you, talk to Lee about it. I think after 15 years he has figured me out. genuinely fail to see how it could offend anyone

PPS I din't know they were into humour: I thought they were into pudding and dogs.

Now I am baffled by this one.

I am always oversensitive to offending people on forums, I ve seen the most innocent remarks turn into WWIII

Cheers
Harry:t:

I am always oversensitive to offending people on forums, I ve seen the most innocent remarks turn into WWIII

Cheers

Hi, Harry:

That's because you can't see the forest for the trees ...

Yorkshire pudding and Yorkies. :cat:

Bill

Hi, Harry:

That's because you can't see the forest for the trees ...

Yorkshire pudding and Yorkies. :cat:

Bill

thank goodness for that, my mind is so warped i had imagined other horrific things
like new zealanders and sheep (wooly jumpers)
and i couldnt see how to knit dog products ...

Cheers

I was once not very kindly urged to not post any more because I suggested that there were too many sensitive "snowflakes" here.

A nice member PM'd me and encouraged me to ignore the suggestion ......... so here I am.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back