• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kites in India (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members

Now I have a second question about Raptors. I wonder if anyone can be so kind to help out.

New Deli is full of Kites. The two first pictures is from Deli in January. I have put down this bird as a Black Kite

The other picture sis from the Botanical Garden in Kolkata 2 days ago. I think it is a Red Kite, but I'm not sure of anyone of them as I cannot see the difference between the Red and Black Kite. Maybe someone that knows

Thank you and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• Black Kite.jpg
    Black Kite.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 38
  • Black Kite2.jpg
    Black Kite2.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Red-Kite.jpg
    Red-Kite.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Red-Kite2.jpg
    Red-Kite2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Red-Kite3.jpg
    Red-Kite3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 27
Thank you

Thank you very much!

I was told that they had the red kite as well. And on this picture that I could not upload yesterday the bird have a FORK tail and on the picture from yesterday we can see that the tail is different

But after your answers I think that this bird is not FANNING (or what it is called) the tail as the other bird

Again thank you very much!

Attachments

• Red-Kite-Out-of-focus.jpg
    Red-Kite-Out-of-focus.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 18
They do have two types of similar kites - the typical breeding subspecies govinda of lowland India, also called Pariah Kite and in winter also subspecies lineatus breeding along the Himalaya and more to the north, also called Black-eared Kite. These are govinda, like others already stated, one first-year and the other is adult. There are some sight records of Red Kite from South Asia, but as far as I know, now photographic or specimen evidence.

They do have two types of similar kites - the typical breeding subspecies govinda of lowland India, also called Pariah Kite and in winter also subspecies lineatus breeding along the Himalaya and more to the north, also called Black-eared Kite. These are govinda, like others already stated, one first-year and the other is adult. There are some sight records of Red Kite from South Asia, but as far as I know, now photographic or specimen evidence.

Thank you! I'm new to the birding and all the different subspecies are very interesting, but also very confusing. Identify birds can be very hard for me, especially Raptors and Shorebirds.

Cheers
Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back