• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bought a pair of the new Wind River Cascades Today.... (1 Viewer)

To my eyes, nothing beats a Leica Trinovid 8x42. To me they are FAR superior to anything Zeiss or Swarovski makes, and slightly better than Leica Ultravid. I honestly don't think there is any other binocular in the world that is as good as a Trinovid.

What makes it good for me is the ease of viewing. I have a lot of trouble with most binoculars with not having one solid image. Most give me two overlapping images that strain my eyes. The Leupold Cascades 8x42 has a slight bit of this overlap issue, but I have seen far worse. Most Steiner binoculars have an easy view for me, but their sharpness is not that great.

When I lift my Leica to my eyes, I can just forget about the binocular and enjoy the view. The binocular becomes a tool to enhance my eyes, and is not a device I am struggling with like so many other binos. There is a certain lamp post outside my house, and with every other bino I have tried, I can pick out this certain screw on it. With Leica Trinovid I can see the cross in the screw where you stick the driver in.

I know I am mentioning Leica a lot, and others have as well, and I wish Old Pirate had looked through them just so we could hear his opinion on them. He certainly seems to be a well-rounded individual with his priorities straight. The thing is, if he is happy with Leupold, I am glad and am not trying to convince him that he made some kind of mistake, or can't tell the difference in binos, I just wish he had tried Leica to see if they struck him as obviously better than the Leupold, something the other big two failed to do.

I PROMISE I'll find someone selling Leica's in the next few weeks and try them.

I PROMISE to be both objective and honest! But...unless they are appreciably better I'm not going to buy a pair, but I PROMISE I'll acknowledge how I rate them in relation to what I bought.

Is that fair enough?

bodromarsh said:
To my eyes, nothing beats a Leica Trinovid 8x42. To me they are FAR superior to anything Zeiss or Swarovski makes, and slightly better than Leica Ultravid. I honestly don't think there is any other binocular in the world that is as good as a Trinovid.

What makes it good for me is the ease of viewing. I have a lot of trouble with most binoculars with not having one solid image. Most give me two overlapping images that strain my eyes. The Leupold Cascades 8x42 has a slight bit of this overlap issue, but I have seen far worse. Most Steiner binoculars have an easy view for me, but their sharpness is not that great.

When I lift my Leica to my eyes, I can just forget about the binocular and enjoy the view. The binocular becomes a tool to enhance my eyes, and is not a device I am struggling with like so many other binos. There is a certain lamp post outside my house, and with every other bino I have tried, I can pick out this certain screw on it. With Leica Trinovid I can see the cross in the screw where you stick the driver in.

I know I am mentioning Leica a lot, and others have as well, and I wish Old Pirate had looked through them just so we could hear his opinion on them. He certainly seems to be a well-rounded individual with his priorities straight. The thing is, if he is happy with Leupold, I am glad and am not trying to convince him that he made some kind of mistake, or can't tell the difference in binos, I just wish he had tried Leica to see if they struck him as obviously better than the Leupold, something the other big two failed to do.

I will have to second that! I have tried every binocular out there and I have Trinovid's too. Except in the 7x42 BN. Best I have every looked through. I agree with you in tha it is an easy natural view with totally stunning contrast.

Dennis

Old Pirate said:
I PROMISE I'll find someone selling Leica's in the next few weeks and try them.

I PROMISE to be both objective and honest! But...unless they are appreciably better I'm not going to buy a pair, but I PROMISE I'll acknowledge how I rate them in relation to what I bought.

Is that fair enough?

Pirate, I think I agree your assessment. Based on my experience, I do notice some subtle improvement on Swaroski, Leica or Zeiss priced over $1000 over $300 Leupold or Bushnell. It is really a personal choice whether that $1000 is worthy it. For some people, they must go for that extra mile to gain the last few percentage of improvement, which is totally justifiable. But we should refrain from convincing other people that $1000 is worthy every penny, because value is a subjective matter that varies from one perseon to another.

It is just like when my friend tried to convince me to buy a Canon 30D dSLR instead of the 20D that is on sale for some subtle improvement. That decision would have caused me extra $500, which I don't think I will ever use for those added features. Hence, I decided to go with 20D and still very happy with it.

BTW, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Leupold.

Although they were heavy and I ruled them out very early there was another pair I tried called Meopta Meostar (a couple hundred more than Leupold's) that seemed to be the brightest of the bunch,

I am glad to see the Meostars mentioned in this discussion. :)

I read this thread on my phone while waiting in the car for the Mrs. I wanted to respond then but typing a post with that device would test the patience of anyone. ;)

This is a great discussion. I look forward to reading further comments.

I actually stood with three pair of binoculars in front of me and tried them all at the same time.

Zeiss

Swarovski

Leupold

$1,300, $1,070, and $299 respectively.

Ok...the first two were really bright and clear...but so was the third one.

I focused on the same object over and over.

I looked hard for justification for me to pay the top dollar which I was prepared to do. I couldn't see it so I asked the shop owner and long time friend which was the best value.

He said..."if you want to see in the last light of day and the first light of morning then dig deep, but if you are going to use them in the other 95% of daylight then except for name flaunting I can't see the difference either."

I'm happy....except I bought the 10's instead of the 8's. The word is I'm too old to be using 10's.

Supposedly, Swarovski spent a lot of money studying what people should use, and in the end the answer has to do with the date on your birth certificate. Swarovski found after spending nearly a quarter million dollars that we all get tremors as we get older and after age 40 most people can't hold anything more than an eight for a long period of time steady. That of course is a "rule of thumb".

I see a lot of people on all these threads recommending 8's.

If the 10's start to shake too bad I can go back and get 8's and still not have spent half of what I could if I wanted form and not function.

If you want the top end and can afford it..then by all means, but is it truly necessary for what we as hobbyist do? Personally I didn't think so when I had them all in hand.
Wise choice Leupolds are excellent binoculars and optics these top line are all hype and high price I too could not tell any difference except the price and name these"Status" symbols binoculars are way over rated and over priced they are not so perfect Leicas have focus problems from what I have read on the forums ,Swarovskis too heavy for many and sticky eyecups on the 8x30 swarovskis what is so perfect about these? it seems all hype and bragging rights but what about ? your eyes only can tell you what is a clear image there is only so much clarity and perfection that an optic can have that means ANY optic a mid priced Leupold, Kowa, and YES the U.S. Bushnell Legends I looked through have optics as clear and good as these overpriced Zeiss,Leica, and Swarovskis I have good eyesight and looking through these they are all the same image wise it makes no sense spending thousands of dollars what you can do for $250- $400 be smart as a buyer I suggest anyone view through some pair of Leupold 8x42s Pinnacle,Olympic or Cascades the Bushnell "Legend" and the Kowa 8x32s and 8x42s then decide for yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back