• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Daffy's Studio... (1 Viewer)

Daffyduck

Hi, I've just gone back to painting watercolours after a break of about 2 yrs. Ive had no formal training, just attended a couple of saturday workshops on drawing birds and of course I do bird watch.

I would be really grateful if you could let me know what you think of these as I am too scared to show them to family incase they laugh!

I started out with the Willet, and found that i was going into alot of detail so then i did the yellow throat and the barn owl, working alot looser. I was amazed at how the paint seem to run on the page and leave great marks.

Would be good to hear what you think? And any advice as to what to improve on. I must admit I fear washes and so tend to steer clear of heavy background stuff...

Thanks again
Tina

Attachments

• Art Willet rs.jpg
    Art Willet rs.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Art Common Yellow throat rs.jpg
    Art Common Yellow throat rs.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Art barn owl rs.jpg
    Art barn owl rs.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 88
Welcome to the best part of the forum Tina, you've done the hardest part of saying hello, now don't be a stranger - we're all a very friendly bunch on here and it's allways great to have somebody new. These are very nice indeed, I adore the subtle colours on the yellowthroat, and the superb expression on the willet, beautifully done. As you ask for advice on improvement, I'll just say, I imagine these are done from photos, so my advice would be to get the sketchbook out with you when out birding and scribble away whilst watching - even the simplest few lines can turn into an exciting picture. Looking forward to seeing more - oh, and DO share these with your family, never be worried that people may laugh, they may, but in this case they shouldn't! You can be proud of these.

Welcome along Tina! Can't beat Nick's advice on the sketching really, it helps you to paint what you see rather than what you know to be there. I'd also say, experiment some, try washes and backgrounds, after all, it's only paper, and you may well surprise yourself!

Mike

Hi Tina - welcome aboard.
The willet shows some very strong drawing, beautiful posture nd very nicely painted too. A super piece of work, all round. I really like the simple design of the yellowthroat - very reminiscent of the grand tradition of the pioneers of bird portrayal.
Great stuff - look forward to seeing more.

Just beautiful, all three, any one of them deserve to be popped into a frame right as they are. And you've got one of my absolute favourite warblers there, too (so much character in those little birds ... sigh, spring can't come soon enough!).

The great thing about washes is that they're the first thing you lay on the page, so if you're not happy with it, you've invested nothing. Play around with it, throw on some salt or create spatter with a toothbrush (great ways to add interest and texture if you're not that into big involved backgrounds).

Thanks folks for your kind comments - its amazing how it gives you a bit more confidence especially when you are painting by yourself and a bit shy to share!

Okay so next time i go birding, will carry telescope, camera, lunch and now Sketchbook - so if you see a lady laden down with gear in the field - its ME!

Will also have a go at a few washes....and lets see what happens!

thanks again for the encouragement - so much appreciated.
Tina

that's the spirit! you'll have a lot of fun (and also quite a few 'grr' moments) but it will all be worth it. You'll see how drawing a moving bird really gets you to look at it in a different light.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back