• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

McKinleys versus Hawthorns (1 Viewer)

It is clearly one step down maybe even two considering it is Made in Japan (higher labor $?).

All leupold bx- binoculars are Chinese, they have a deal with a Chinese firm to produce everything.

IIRC the last Leupold binos made in Japan were by light optical and the Pinnacles and Katmai. They also made the Cabela's Alaskan Guide which I thought was nice when I looked at it, like a Vortex Viper, but not as nice as the Cabelas branded Meostars which are brilliant binoculars.

edit: this does not mean that Chinese binos are junk just point of fact. A lot of optics companies are outsourcing to China now, even Zeiss has jumped on the bandwagon.

Last edited:
OpticsNerd,

Though you mentioned that they are all MIC, my BX3 clearly state MIJ. Also, the Hawthorne's I have seen, while not 'BX' also state they are MIJ.

The Leupold Cascade BX-2 binoculars are manufactured in Japan as is the Hawthorne 7 x 42.

A Leupold Cascade BX-2 7 x 42 which I purchased on 12/27/2011 was made in Japan. It says so in large print on the bottom of the left objective tube at the hinge.

It is fully coated rather than FMC.

I bought it from Eagle Optics at a close out price of $229.99 which I consider to be a great bargain because it is a very good binocular. There are still 8x42 and 10x42 BX-2 Cascades being sold at E.O. for $279.99 and they have excellent reviews. They are listed as having MC lenses rather than FMC.

The 7x42 BX-2 Cascade was replaced by the FMC 7x42 Hawthorne which sells for $349.99. Eagle optics notes that they are FMC. In exterior appearance it is only cosmetically different from the BX-2 Cascade. The focus wheel and the diopter mechanism integrated with it and the eye cups are identical. Even the Leupold logos are in the same places.

Examine them here:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/leupold?page=1&sort=best-selling&specials=all

Bob

Last edited:
OpticsNerd,

Though you mentioned that they are all MIC, my BX3 clearly state MIJ. Also, the Hawthorne's I have seen, while not 'BX' also state they are MIJ.

That's interesting. I recently went through this with a dealer I buy from and one of the things he mentioned was that Leupold was moving everything to China. The BX-2 Acadia and Mckinley were the ones he mentioned, the Hawthorne I thought was LOW Phillipines factory but who knows.

Really that is just a detour though eventually it is about how well it works for you.

It seems that the BX-2 Cascades and Hawthornes still stocked by Eagle Optics are made in Japan.

I don't know about the BX-2 Acadia's. (The 10x42 and 12x50 are out of stock--EO still lists the 8x42). These BX-2 Acadias are very inexpensive binoculars and the 32mm versions have differently designed coverings, eye cups, focusing and diopter adjustments than the 42mm versions do which are similar to the Cascades in those respects. (See the EO link above in thread 23 which pictures them.)

If you get a chance to see them in person look under the objective tubes near the hinge to see where they are made.

Bob

My wife got me 7x42 hawthorne's for Christmas (I asked for them), and I tried them over the weekend. They say made in Japan.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back