• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juncos (1 Viewer)

emc

Do juncos ever eat from bird feeders? I've noticed them foraging on the ground under the feeder but they never feed from it.

Juncos occasionally fly up to the large seed tray I have beneath my sunflower feeder. They never go to the perches.

What do you use for the seed tray? I was thinking of putting some kind of tray under the feeder because the lawn under the feeder has turned into a mess but not sure how to go about attaching it or what to use. My feeder hangs from a clothes line.

By the way, for the first time ever I saw some juncos perched at the feeder today.

The Juncos here will go to a hanging sunflower feeder when the seed on the ground gets hard to find. It is a Yankee Dome type feeder with a suspended drywall bucket lid underneath to catch the spillage. Kind of ugly but this not only keeps much of the seed off the ground but a good many birds use it like a platform feeder.
We also have Juncos going to a covered platform feeder regularly and occasionally will take a few nibbles of our peanut butter log.

Steve

Attachments

• Feeder.jpg
    Feeder.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 47
I use one of these. Worth noting that it doesn't actually keep all the hulls off the ground (they blow/bounce out of it), but it at least cuts down on the waste, and gives cardinals and juncos a place to feed. You need to clean it regularly so food doesn't mix with bird droppings.

The Juncos have been very brazen in my yard this winter. Usually they just feed from the ground, but this year they were swarming the tray feeder, and I even saw one or two perching on a hanging thistle tube feeder, eating among the Goldfinches.

I have lots of dark eyed juncos. Though they eat seed directly under my bird feeder, I have NEVER seen one eat from the feeder. I leave seeds on the ground for them anyway! ;)

Overwintering here, juncos will jump up on the thistle (tube) feeder on still, windless days. Any movement on the feeder and they seem reluctant to get up there. I set up a camera trap to catch what birds eat walnuts in my yard. Small makeshift table feeder, set above the ground well over 1.5 meters has juncos hop up. Goldfinch, hawks, and owls so far, the only regulars to not take walnut pieces.

Attachments

• IMGP9975_junco.jpg
    IMGP9975_junco.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 32
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back