• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have $2K burning a hole in my pocket what binocular should I buy? (1 Viewer)

Leica 8x42 UVHD+ or why not try the 7x42 version? A 7x bins is always a pleasure to use and you don't seem to have one in your collection.
I have tried a lot of different 7x binoculars in the past and I always found 7x too weak for me despite it's advantages like DOF and easy eye placement. I like 8x the best and I like 10x IF it has IS like the Canon 10x42 IS-L. I have trouble holding 10x steady.

I just like trying different binoculars. When I was into astronomy I liked trying different telescopes just to see how they performed. Same with binoculars.

Same here, it's a kind of sickness. I balance it with actually hiking around outside and looking at SOMETHING INTERESTING in the binoculars.

Since I've been back here (just a few weeks) I've bought 6 or 7 new binos. I was on the wagon but you "fine folk" have dragged me back down into the muck to keep you all company. Or something like that.

Same here, it's a kind of sickness. I balance it with actually hiking around outside and looking at SOMETHING INTERESTING in the binoculars.

Since I've been back here (just a few weeks) I've bought 6 or 7 new binos. I was on the wagon but you "fine folk" have dragged me back down into the muck to keep you all company. Or something like that.
I have a small travel trailer and when the weather warms up I park it up in Rocky Mountain National Park and hike around the mountains looking at birds and wildlife.

Last edited:
Zoom

This reminds me of the topic in Bill Cooks book describing the advertisers selling this junk, because folks still buy the stuff. I used to think that it was from when I was 10 years old I would see advertisements like that but it looks like it still sells, unbelievable. The best one was the self collimating one. I got a great laugh out of that one.

A.W.

A<W<

I just got back from the Yucatan birding. I have money for trips. This $2K is burning a hole in my pocket. It needs to be spent on binoculars. If I don't spend it soon my wife will.

Is that why you've posted over 175 times in the past 30 days? One can only imagine how much you could increase your 5.8 posts/day average if you actually stay home! ;)

Also, since I lived in Denver for a good long while, I'm not sure I'd classify going to the "Yucatan" as a big trip. A few hours direct flight from DIA for $400 RT or less. I was thinking more like going to Christmas Island, South Georgia Island, Antarctica, PNG, Fiji, Africa, or wherever else you might not have been to where there's something you'd like to see. Unless of course you've been to all those places. Then in that case, have fun buying more glass.

Find some more burning bucks and get yourself a Swaro 12x50 EL. If necessary a few lessons in archery to gain some steadiness, new experience and fun (the bino and the bow!).

Cocco (who thinks that 12x50 is really hot for birding at the waterfront. Dream on, Cocco...)

Is that why you've posted over 175 times in the past 30 days? One can only imagine how much you could increase your 5.8 posts/day average if you actually stay home! ;)

Also, since I lived in Denver for a good long while, I'm not sure I'd classify going to the "Yucatan" as a big trip. A few hours direct flight from DIA for $400 RT or less. I was thinking more like going to Christmas Island, South Georgia Island, Antarctica, PNG, Fiji, Africa, or wherever else you might not have been to where there's something you'd like to see. Unless of course you've been to all those places. Then in that case, have fun buying more glass.
My wife and I are not really big travelers. We don't really enjoy the hassle of going through the airport, renting a car, checking into a hotel, etc. I don't really consider the Yucatan a big trip either. A trip for two to Antartica or Africa I am sure would cost a lot more than $2K anyway if we wanted to go there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back