• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpen Apex XP 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Upland

My local sporting goods store has these on clearance at $149 due to Alpen going out of business. Spent some time outdoors with them and the optics and build quality are both quite nice. I’d like to buy them but am nervous since there is no warranty. Is anyone familiar with this model? Any thoughts on Alpen quality in general would also be appreciated. Thanks

I am not familiar with the Apex model, but I had a couple of Alpen Wings binoculars: excellent optics and very good build quality for the money. I do not think you can go wrong with the Apex at the price that you mentioned: they have a FoV (6*) that's a bit on the smaller side, but all the other specs look fine.

I just returned from the store empty handed. I had gone there intending to buy the Alpens but after comparing to my Cabela’s Guide 8x32 I decided against. The Apex weren’t as sharp and combined with the narrow field of view and lack of warranty I decided against buying. They did have a very nice build quality though. Actually the best I’ve seen in a Chinese made Bino. I’m sure they would have been fine for the price but i decided to pass.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back