• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Computer doodles for those that can't paint! (1 Viewer)

desgreene said:
This is my first go with the pen tablet I got for Christmas...

Hi Des

Very nice - the picture and the person who gave you the tablet!

Meanwhile I am still doodling with my mouse. It's very slow, but I take it a few feathers at a time!

It occurred to me that some might be interested to see the picture in process as well as, hopefully, the end result some time this year!

A friend who has a tablet and pen compares drawing with a mouse to trying to write with a rock!

Dave

Attachments

• Malaysian Plover head 3.jpg
    Malaysian Plover head 3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
ed keeble said:
Congratulations- is that done using photoshop + the 6x4 graphire tablet?

Ed K

Hi Ed,
I ended up getting an A4 size one made by Trust. I've heard loads about the quality of the Wacom tablets, but I wanted the A4 size and couldn't justify the expense of the Wacom at the moment.

Software wise I used Artweaver, which is freeware at the moment. However, it does lock up occassionally and then will not let you save your work. You just need to get into the habit of saving every few minutes.

Regards,
Des.

Dave B said:
Hi Des

Very nice - the picture and the person who gave you the tablet!

Meanwhile I am still doodling with my mouse. It's very slow, but I take it a few feathers at a time!

It occurred to me that some might be interested to see the picture in process as well as, hopefully, the end result some time this year!

A friend who has a tablet and pen compares drawing with a mouse to trying to write with a rock!

Dave

Hi Dave,
that is coming along beautifully. It's a lovely piece of work leaving aside the fact that you're using a mouse!

All the best,
Des.

A landscape for a change. Showing the springtime wildflowers in Southern Spain.

Attachments

• Web SpanishLandscape1.jpg
    Web SpanishLandscape1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 136
Dave - That is absolutely ******g amazing!!!! - I'd love to see it in high res (cheeky suggestion that you might mail it me - ha ha!)

and - Des you're certainly getting to grips with this medium - well done!

desgreene said:
A landscape for a change. Showing the springtime wildflowers in Southern Spain.

Hi Des

That's beautiful. Has an earthy sketchbook quality about it - very fresh.

Which raises a question. How soon might we using these things in the field instead of paper and paint???!

Dave

Dave B said:
Hi Des

That's beautiful. Has an earthy sketchbook quality about it - very fresh.

Which raises a question. How soon might we using these things in the field instead of paper and paint???!

Dave

Hi Dave,
to answer your question, in my case it will probably be when they invent a "colour dropper" tool that you can point at real objects! ;)

Dave B.

That is fantastic!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Two questions:
1. What resolution and size is the original?
2. How long from starting do you think it'll take, actual hands on mouse time?

Hi all, just cottened onto this thread and some of the images are stunning, I'm well impressed and so is my wife. Where or how do you start in Photoshop (CS2) to do this we are both just learning to use it.

Stewart :clap:

Stewart J. said:
Hi all, just cottened onto this thread and some of the images are stunning, I'm well impressed and so is my wife. Where or how do you start in Photoshop (CS2) to do this we are both just learning to use it.

Stewart :clap:

There are some tips around posts #34-39 above. The main thing unless you have Dave B's particular blend of skill and determination is to get your hands on a graphics pen and tablet.

Ed K

PWG said:
Dave B.

That is fantastic!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Two questions:
1. What resolution and size is the original?
2. How long from starting do you think it'll take, actual hands on mouse time?

Hi PWG

Thanks! The original size is 1000x1000 pixels at 72 pixels/inch - not that big really.

How long? I've no idea, since it's not being done to a deadline. I just have a go most evenings after work. Some people do Sudoku, I do this! Sometimes I'll leave it for a few days and then go back to it.

Dave B

Thanks for your reply, I'll have to learn to be more patient. I think it's a bit of a cheat putting your stuff in this thread looking at the title. Perhaps you should start your own masterclass thread.

PWG said:
Dave B

Thanks for your reply, I'll have to learn to be more patient. I think it's a bit of a cheat putting your stuff in this thread looking at the title. Perhaps you should start your own masterclass thread.

Well, thanks again PWG, but I am just learning this Photoshop stuff. Yesterday I became the proud owner of an Intuos3 tablet and pen, and I had a go this afternoon and evening - it's addictive! SO MUCH faster than using a mouse!

Attached is my first effort, which I did in a couple of hours. It's a Kelp Gull which I saw in Australia last October.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Gull, Kelp3 copy.jpg
    Gull, Kelp3 copy.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 146
Dave B said:
Well, thanks again PWG, but I am just learning this Photoshop stuff. Yesterday I became the proud owner of an Intuos3 tablet and pen, and I had a go this afternoon and evening - it's addictive! SO MUCH faster than using a mouse!

Attached is my first effort, which I did in a couple of hours. It's a Kelp Gull which I saw in Australia last October.

Cheers

Dave

very congrats on both the tablet acquisition and the resultant gull

out of interest, is the water done with a spattery brush, or with a filter?

Ed K

Dave B said:

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,
love the gull! I've not had a chance to do any doodling for the past few days because of job interviews, but that is a really inspiring effort!

Des.

You're outdoing yourself, Dave!!!! (But then again, electrons are cheaper than paint ;) ). Good luck with the job interviews, Des. Look forward to your next doodle!

If I see any more work of THIS standard on this thread USING THIS GODFORSAKEN MEDIA, I shall simply have to burn my bra, er, brushes!!!! (What the heck, I'll burn both) - It's just NOT fair, so stoppit!

Er, um . . . .how much . . er . . does one of these tablettey thingy and er the whachamacallit . . the . . .er . .. pencil thingy . . . cost, exactly - ish? . . please.

Beautiful work Dave - and here's to beautiful work (note the clever change of context) for Des. Rootin' for you, mate.

Dave B

Another masterpiece.

Reading these threads I've gone through a gamut of emotions ranging from inspiration to desperation. Thanks to everyone who has posted their work and the story behind them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back