• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common or lesser kestrel, Segovia, Spain, June (1 Viewer)

GKSwamy

I am confused even after reading some articles about this. Please help. Thanks

Attachments

• GKS_7620-A-small.JPG
    GKS_7620-A-small.JPG
    577.4 KB · Views: 140
One rule that is best used if you have a whole series of images rather than a single is this:
Also look at the wing tip: if outermost primary (p10) and the one three in (p7) are equal length, then you are looking at Common Kestrel, if p7 is shorter, then it is Lesser Kestrel.

Niels

It's often tricky to judge wing formulae on a flying bird from a single photo but in this case, it looks spot-on for a Common Kestrel. The tail shape, however, isn't a consistent guide (particularly in females which, given the brown crown, sullied cheeks and strongly marked underparts I think this to be).

On initial look i would have said not pale enough on the underwing coverts and not enough Blue in the Grey head for male Lesser...

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back