• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AF Fine Tune-D-300 (1 Viewer)

redtail7

Hi Guys
I've had my D-300 for about nine months now and have been using the 70-200 f2.8 VR lens and also the 18-200 f5.6 VR lens. When I use the 70-200 more times than not the pictures are just ever so slightly out of focus or really soft looking, I seem to get better pictures with the 18-200. What I want to know is can I fine tune the 70-200 lens in the menu section called AF Fine Tune, and if so how do I go about it? Do you go plus or minus and how do you know how much? I do get some fairly sharp photos at times with the 70-200 but like I said the most are poor quality for a reputable lens. The photos are always taken in good light and at the 200mm setting. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. I will add my latest examples. The dark Swainson is my concern and the light juvie looks OK. Both were taken within minutes of each other. Thanks Redtail7

Attachments

• DSC_2614.jpg
    DSC_2614.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_2615.jpg
    DSC_2615.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_2630.jpg
    DSC_2630.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 142
Hi I have the same set up and found that the 70-200vr produces some of the sharpest images I've seen.
I assume that these are heavily cropped shots? can't find the exif data so not sure how these were taken or if you use the TC20, what focussing pattern are you using? (not really found a use for the 3d metering yet)
I have bought and sold a TC 20 twice now but get so pee'd off with the results its just excess baggage in my bag, far prefer the 1.7 or 1.4.
What image settings have you configured?
I would look at all these before looking at AF-fine tune, but if you do wish to try it, download a test card, mount you're camera on a really solid tripod or better still a workmate, set up the shot and try adjusting the fine tune.
Hope it helps

Hi Steve
Thanks for your time. Yes I've cropped these in PictureProject all three were done at 66% crop. I have tried many different settings with the same result, that is why I'm seeking some advice. I will resend the original uncropped and you may get the exif. data

Attachments

• DSC_2614.JPG
    DSC_2614.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_2615.JPG
    DSC_2615.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_2630.JPG
    DSC_2630.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 93
Hi had a look at the data on the pictures, you seem to be taking these shots in the basic jpeg setting so quality of a cropped shot may be poor, you also use 1600iso and are shooting at f4 @1/8000 of a second, I would recommend bringing the iso down to no more than 800 or preferably 400 to remove noise and either shoot in highest quality jpeg or raw, funnily enough I went to check the 1st 2 images and I am no longer able to see the exif data? looks like a network issue.
Hope it helps

can see all the data now, a couple of the shots were taken with an aperture of 7.1 but still in a low res jpeg 1024x680 pixels with iso 1600

I use a Canon but have a friend with a Nikon D300 and 80-400.
I visited him and helped him do the fine focus adjust. You must use a good tripod with VR off and a high resolution target at >15', shooting at each +\-, then crop and inspect closely. (We used a $20 but dont use Photoshop to process as it rejects currency.) His adjustment of -2 was worthwhile and he is satisfied with the results. I have another friend with the same combo. He has adjusted to -12 and is still very disapointed in the lens, but very happy with his 18-200 lens.

Hi, redtail . do you have the auto iso switched off? I dont have no trouble with my lens on d300, is that why you are shooting with high iso settings.....

Redtail,

I also have the 70-200VR; this is a very sharp lens, one of the very best.

I agree with Steve with his analysis, I use the distance limiter as well on this lens.

I do find that even with the VR on, you have to be ‘deliberate’ with the shutter and be smooth with the pressure applied when shooting.

I tend to hold the lens from below on the foot, with my arm vertical, tucked in tight against my chest, this gives a solid platform. Not a comfortable position for long periods.

Hi redtail,
Did you take the high res photos to do the fine focus adjust?
I'm surprise no one talks about this since I have seen that it can help in cases like yours?

Hi had a look at the data on the pictures, you seem to be taking these shots in the basic jpeg setting so quality of a cropped shot may be poor, you also use 1600iso and are shooting at f4 @1/8000 of a second, I would recommend bringing the iso down to no more than 800 or preferably 400 to remove noise and either shoot in highest quality jpeg or raw, funnily enough I went to check the 1st 2 images and I am no longer able to see the exif data? looks like a network issue.
Hope it helps
I agree with this with the exception of the jpeg vs raw part. You don't need to shoot in raw seriously. Highest jpeg with quality priority or whatever it's called. The D300 tends to soften images at high ISO's. That's the one Achilles heel about this camera. For that lens, about F/8 will probably be your sharpest, or around there as most lenses are sharpest around two stops below their minimum aperture. I had the exact same issue until I learned this. I always shot wide open. Slowly, all but my favorite of my old gallery pics will be replaced now that I know the right technique (thanks in no small part to the experts on BF). Auto ISO on the D300 works like a dream I'd set it for 1/3 stop increments for the most accurate adjustments. I personally use it most of the time and with a lens like the 70-200 VR just set your shutter and aperture. In good light like that, try that lens at F7.1 or F8 and if the bird is still I'd go with 1/250 or so shutter speed.

EDIT: I just realize my mistake here. I was writing in terms of the 70-300mm VR. F4 or F5 should be good with your lens. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
until redtail posts some shots at a lower iso shot in the highest quality jpeg, probably not a lot else to discuss

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back