• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

15x50 or 18x50 Canon IS (1 Viewer)

spatter

Hi All, what what's the difference between the 18x50 and the 15x50?
is it hard to hold the 18x50 stable enough free hands with the IS on?
please give me the pros and cons between the 2 of them so i can decide,
thanks,

Tried the 15x and 18x a couple of years ago at a show. Three models were on display and use think the other was 12x. The 12x and 15x were equally good the 18x seemed not quite so good.

Someone else at the time was trying them and we were swapping models, we both agreed that the 15x were the best. Everything was equal between the 12x and 15x but there was the slightly better magnification on the 15's. May as well have it as everything else was the same.

The 18's were a bit bulkier and the image seemed not quite as good, also the stabilisation had to handle the 18x magnification and I suspect that 18x was just getting a bit near the limit.

The 18x50 are exactly the same size as the 15x50, so they can't be bulkier,
but i agree that the 18x are harder to hold stable, thanks for the help, i think the 18x aren't as bright as well,

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back