• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Channel Islands - egret (1 Viewer)

Nightranger

Senior Moment
Does anyone have an opinion on the recent egret sighting from Guernsey? There is some dispute with the recorder and a resident by all accounts. The recorder is saying little egret but the resident suggests cattle egret. I have seen images of this bird and the argument could be made for either possibility. Any ideas?

These two are not THAT similar that a good short view would not separate them. Was it a flyover or distant sight?

James

Hi Ian,
Presuming that the photographs are better than a white dot in the sky,it should be easy to seperate these two species.I'd be interested in seeing any pics.
Harry

"Does anyone have an opinion on the recent egret sighting from Guernsey? There is some dispute with the recorder and a resident by all accounts. The recorder is saying little egret but the resident suggests cattle egret. I have seen images of this bird and the argument could be made for either possibility. Any ideas?"

Hi Ian. We had a sighting of Cattle Egret in February. I did not see it but take a look at this Guernseybirding website.

http://www.geocities.com/mplawlorgue/Guernseybirdnews.html

We have many Little Egrets here, the sighting of a Cattle Egret was unusual.

Nerine

Harry Hussey said:
Hi Ian,
Presuming that the photographs are better than a white dot in the sky,it should be easy to seperate these two species.I'd be interested in seeing any pics.
Harry

Unfortunately, the only image I have seen would not be easily rendered for posting here (translation: I do not have the time or the permission ;) ). The image had the general appearance of a little egret but the leg colour of a cattle egret. I think the question has been partly anwered anyway because there WAS a cattle egret and I just wondered about a disingenious claim in this case. After all, the image may not have been taken of the 'claimed' bird. Sadly, it does happen. The problem arose because the Guernsey recorder said the claimed bird was a little egret and my colleague was not so convinced when he saw the image. I was suspicious because the image almost (I am being generous here) had the appearance of being taken under artificial conditions. I am afraid that this infers the resident was aware of the presence of the cattle egret and (perhaps) was making the case for the bird he saw. An interesting debate nonetheless. Thanks guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back