• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good general European butterfly book (1 Viewer)

markgrubb

Leading a life of quiet desperation
I'm looking for a decent not too large European butterfly guide. Not to big and portable for holidays-something to help me identify butterflies when abroad. I've had a quick look through Amazon and nothing leaps out at me. The Collins guide seems a possibility but gets poorish reviews. Any one have a good recommendation?

Personally, I think many of the complaints vis a vis the Collins butterfly guide were of the nitpicking variety and that if you simply want a book to ID what you see it's still the best in my opinion. However, the new photo-guide "Butterflies of Britain and Europe" by Tari Haahtela et al is smaller, looks user friendly and should do the trick. See http://www.nhbs.com/butterflies_of_britain_and_europe_bkfno_186680.html

However, I'm a birder not a butterfly man so wait for an expert view!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back