• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A review of the CL Companion 8x30 (1 Viewer)

oetzi

This is the BF-version of a review written in german and to be found on my website http://www.outdoor-professionell.de...cl-companion-8x30-fernglas-reise-spitzbergen/

Evaluating a product for a review is a bit like selling it to a customer. A good salesman tries to understand the product´s features and the idea behind its construction. So understanding a binocular prior to buying it is a very important thing for anyone shelling out a load of money.

Reading the specs of a complex product like a binocular gives you an idea of its designated application. Lets do so with the Swarpovski CL Companion 8x30.

Its selling for € 980,- at the Swarovski online shop, thats half of what the EL 8x32 WB Swarovision will cost and that gives a very rough idea of its optical properties. The Cl is not on the same level. It cant be, since its so much cheaper. No need to complain about that, there is no free lunch.

Furthermore, the CL is quite lightweight. At 500gr, its considerably less heavy than the above mentioned El at 580gr.

Weight and the 30mm lens (as compared to the more usual 32 or 33mm) imply a certain slenderness of the body and the overall appearance confirms that. The CL is very slim, compared to other 8x binoculars. Slim tubes mean smaller prism inside and this will have an impact on its optical performance, too. Looking at the specs, which give a FOV of 124m, confirms that thought. The Cl sits halfway between the 8x compacts and the full-size binoculars.

Then take the name. „Companion“ might imply that its a binocular specifically designed to be carried along. All binoculars can be carried by the user, but emphesizing this might lead to certain expectations about portability.

You are with my so far? Well, then I will tell you why I wouldnt have choosen the Cl for a review in the first place. Back when I looked up Swarovski´s line of binoculars, before I actually asked them for one to be reviewed.

I only review what I like and the CL Companion I didnt like because of my personal preferences
What I need in a binocular is a balanced (and biased) combination of
-low weight
-small dimensions
-big FOV.
The CL provides the first two, but not the last one. So it was not of interest for me at all. That doesnt mean its a bad binocular by default, but it doesnt fulfill my needs right from the beginning.

So when Swarovski agreed to send me an EL 8x32 WB for review, also offereing me the Cl Companion to have a look at a later time, I wasnt that interested at first.

Enter a close friend of mine. We know each other for about twenty years and it was her who introduced me to bird watching. When I told her about Swarovski´s offer, she was very enthusiastic.

Because the Cl Companion is a binocular she has put her eyes on for quite a long time. Her main bino is the El 10x42 WB Swarovision and it suits her needs very well. She goes birding on purpose. That means donning the Swaro bino suspender plus 10x and heading for her birding area, which is a rather large area with swamps and lakes.

On the other hand, when being out and about for other reasons, she only carries one of her compact Leica Trinovid. The offer light weight and very small dimensions at the cost of handling and optical performance. So the CL Companion, in her eyes, could prove to be a good choice. That was fine for me, too, because i value her experience and opinion. I would use and compare it a bit with other binoculars to get an idea of it, but she would do the bulk.

When and where did she use the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30? Well, this summer she travelled through scandinavia for eight weeks, hiking, canoeing and general sightseeing. In between there was one week of work at Svalbard scheduled.

Since about four years, my friend works as photographer, lecturer, guide and Zodiac-pilot at arctic and antarctic cruises. That means being on your feet the whole day and carrying a lot of gear. Heavy clothing, life vest, Dslr, Rifle, binoculars, etc.

There is no place for a big one like her 10x and so she usually takes a compact along. These have their shortcomings, too and so the in-between CL Companion was chosen for the occassion.

Here is what she has to say about it (The quotes were translated with Google translate and polished up a bit here and there):

“For such a small, lightweight binoculars, it feels very good in the (gloved) hand and is much easier to handle than my pocket binoculars. I always had the feeling of holding a real binocular in my hands. Compared to my previously used compacts, the relatively large field of view came in very handy, too.

The large focus wheel can also be easily operated with one hand (even with gloves), which in the Arctic was a major plus. But I would have liked the focussing wheel to feel a bit more responsive, it lacked some sensitivity under the test conditions. However, it is very grippy and thats a big plus in my book. Ease of view was as good as with my big ones.

In the field, the binocular was part of a lot of other equipment. It is here that I experienced the advantages of its low weight, without having to give up a high optical quality.

The view through the Cl Companion is wonderfully clear and bright under normal light conditions. But, alas, it shows its weaknesses in bad weather or at dusk. Colors get dull and gray, it lacks brightness and is more difficult to adjust to the optimum sharpness. Compared to its bigger brother of the EL series, the focus falls off on the edge, but this can be neglected in the field. Because in the center polar bears or other interesting objects are in focus, perfectly sharpness and clear.

The textured coating provides a smooth, slip-free grip even with wet hands. In daily use in the cold arctic climate and harsh conditions, or when running around with the equipment (rifle, life vest, radio ...) banging on each other, the binoculars have proven to be extremely robust. This and the unavoidable salt water showers, it survived everything easily and without damage.

For the frequent traveler who does not want to miss out on a decent pair of binoculars is an absolute recommendation. Fits with its handy size still somewhere in the suitcase or carry-on luggage and you wont feel its weight.

There you are. She definitely liked it and would recommend it to any one looking for a compact full-sized binocular. Which is what I do, too. Even though its definitly not my cup of tea.

In all I used the CL Companion for about two weeks, compared it to the Kowa Genesis 8x33 and a Minox HG 8x33 and thats what I think about it:

I still wouldnt buy it. The FOV is too narrow for my liking and I need more brightness in my binoculars. Shadows which are “lightened up” and highlights not blown out, thats what I need. With the CL, the shadows were far too dark for my old eyes. A bit of a punch in the colour department is what I rave and the Cl couldnt deliver this to me.

On the other hand, I never used a more slender and pocketable regular sized 8x binocular than this Swaro. Due to its slim shape it fits in about every jacket´s pocket with ease and the reduced weight was very noticeable. 500gr makes quite a difference to 580gr (EL 8x32), 590gr (Genesis 8x33) and 654gr (Minox HG 8x33). Much more of a difference then I expected.

Taking the comparisons one step further, how does the CL Companion compare to the 8x binoculars mentioned above? After all, the latter two are in a similar bracket, price-wise, give or take € 100,-.

Optically, this Swaro is not on thesame level. Kowa and Minox give you a brighter image, larger FOV, more vibrant colours, better penetration of the shadows. They also feel heavy, clumsy, unwieldy and not pocketable by comparison.

So we are back to square one:
You want „the best“ optically, around € 1000,-, dont buy the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30.
You want a slim, handy binocular of very good quality, as pocketable as possible, not bothering you with its weight and size, get the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30.

Its your choice, so choose wisely.

Attachments

• In voller Montur auf der Arbeit.jpg
    In voller Montur auf der Arbeit.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,640
  • Mit dem Zodiac zwischen die Eisberge.jpg
    Mit dem Zodiac zwischen die Eisberge.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 403
  • Mit dem Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B auf Spitzbergen.jpg
    Mit dem Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B auf Spitzbergen.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 2,344
  • Tools of the trade.jpg
    Tools of the trade.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 1,225
  • Ein Eisbär hält Mahlzeit.jpg
    Ein Eisbär hält Mahlzeit.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
The main appeal of the CL (for me) is its fit/ergonomics, small size and light weight. I find the optics to be quite good and quite bright for a 30mm. I think it's a job very well done on a small (almost compact size) bin. The new Monarch7 8x30 looks to be a direct competitor to the CL and has a wider FOV. I wonder if the optics are as nice.

nice review btw !

The new Monarch7 8x30 looks to be a direct competitor to the CL and has a wider FOV. I wonder if the optics are as nice.

That's the $64k question, IMO. It will be very interesting to see just how nice the new Monarch's view is compared to the CL and it's (few) competitors.

I would love to have an 8x30/32 that is lighter in weight than my Conquest HD, but yet afford a better view than my Sightron SII Blue Sky (not that it's bad), all at a price that doesn't push a grand.

Good luck with that search. ;)

There aren't many bins under a grand that better the Sightron overall. Maybe the Viper HD? A used Meopta Meostar 8x32? Maybe the Nikon SE? All are better in some areas but not all.

I am holding out for the Nikon Monarch 7 which has ED Glass and Nikon construction and warranty. The 10X30 weighs under a pound. With a reasonable price tag of $400 I am going to give them a try.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/910872-REG/nikon_7580_10x30_monarch_7.html

I had a brief view of some Broadwing hawks on Wildcat Ridge this past weekend with the 8X42 Monarch 7. They looked good enough for me to try a pair of the 10X30s (which are back ordered). I certainly did not get a chance to use them much. My 20 second impression is the color was good! No chance to do any back lighting testing. When the Broadwing kettles are over head its a mad rush for your own bins.

Last edited:
Oetzi,

I'm glad you reviewed the CL Companion even if you didn't like it right off because it has a moderate FOV. A reviewer has to write about whatever bin is out, particularly ones made by the Fab Four because readers will be very interested in them. Okay, it's your Website so you can control the content, but don't expect people to read it if the only bins you review are the ones you like.

From reading your review, it was clear that there were other things that you didn't like about the CL besides the moderate FOV, for example, you didn't find the CL's "optics to be quite good and quite bright for a 30mm," in fact, you panned its performance in these areas. Your chief praises relate to the size of the bin rather than its optics, namely, "Small, light and handy."

You wrote: "Now here come the weaknesses of the optical-priced binoculars-a-days. Maximum brilliance and eye-catching image sharpness under the most adverse conditions are not the outstanding features of the CL Companion."

After reading your review, I expected your conclusion to be at best a cautious recommendation, but instead you concluded:

"The best binoculars is still the one that you like. For the Swarovski CL Companion 8 x 30 B you really still finds a place. Be it at the Sunday hike or really on the great journey., It is a travel binoculars par excellence."

The conclusion you wrote on BF would have been a more honest appraisal from your POV:

"The rather harsh verdict is, it cant hold a candle, optically. Kowa and Minox give you a brighter image, larger FOV, more vibrant colours, better penetration of the shadows. They also feel heavy, clumsy, unwieldy and not pocketable by comparison."

Perhaps too brutally honest for an online publication you want to sell ads in, but you could have toned it done a bit and added the positive points about the CL being good for a hike or taking on a "great journey" w/out sounding like a commercial at the end.

I guess a clue to the conclusion in your article comes from what you said about in reviewing a bin, you have to sell it to the customer. I disagree. To be a good reviewer, you have to try and be as unbiased as possible, otherwise, it's not a review, it's an advertorial. Your honest evaluation and how it's based on your extensive experience with optics is the best way to win over a reader.

A difficulty that reviewers have who get bins from stores is what they are going to say if they think it stinks? Don't buy this POS? I don't think so. Otherwise, that's the last bin you'll get sent to review. So you have to balance the good with the bad, but not swing too far in either direction unless the bin is really a stinker or really a winner. Then you have no choice but to keep it real.

Also, a store is likely to send you a "cherry" sample. Better to ask someone you know to order one anonymously and then send the bin back before the end of the return period. You get a random sample, and there's no obligation to "sell" the bin for the store.

The other thing that might have influenced your conclusion is that you apparently included quotes from your readers. Well, if your readers are saying that they really like the bin, are you going to conclude you don't? Or vice versa? It puts you at odds. Notice that allbinos also has reader reviews, but they keep them separate from Arek's reviews.

You dismissed the shortcomings you outlined in the article due to the fact that the CL costs half the price of the SV EL. I wouldn't if I felt that way about it. I haven't tried it, so as Michael Vick likes to say, "I got no dog in this fight."

However, there is a growing segment of bins in the second-tier for about a 1000 USD, you mentioned the midsized Kowa and Minox roofs as examples, and there are others such as the 8x32 Meopta Meostar and the 8x32 Conquest HD, both of which have gotten good reviews. Granted, they aren't as compact as the CL, though the Meopta is fairly compact, but I disagree that you can't have it all in one package, because it "only" costs a $1,000.

Okay, it won't equal an alpha, but there's no reason why it can't have a sharp image, an ample sweet spot, be bright, and have good ergonomics, a smooth focuser, at least 60* AFOV, and a decent close focus for $1,000. Unless you have money to burn, I don't think you should expect any less at this price point.

To update the review, now that the Swar 8x25 CL is out,it's hard to imagine why someone looking for a traveling companion would buy the Companion over the pocket bin.

For nature hikes, well, if you want a bin that's compact, buy a compact! ;)

Okay, I'm talking out of school, and the usual critics will be swooping in with their poison pens (although I don't think they have tried a CL compact either), but speaking strictly as a Greek sophist, now that Swaro has come out with an oversized compact, the logic of a compact 8x30 seems to be neither here nor there.

I speak only for myself, not for the entire Peripatetic school.

Brockophrastus

P.S. I really like the photos, are they from your readers? I'm wondering why the faces were blotted out? It's kind of spooky.

Last edited:
Hello Brock, thank you for the detailed satement. Some poins I would like to clarify before heading of to work this morning.

In the shop, I had to sell gear I didnt like. That didnt mean automatically, it was bad gear, just thatb itb wouldnt have been my choice. If the customer wants it, he can part with his money for it but I always told, if I thought there were restrictions to the intended use. Basically, a good salesman tries to make a difference between his needs (and opinion) and that of a customer.

With the website, I dont have to compromise. I dont want to spend time writing about things that are not of interest to me, I pre-select. I dont need to sell ad, since my main income is from a different source. The website is part hobby, part getting a bit pocket money. Comparing the time in front of the PC to the income, its defi itlynot worth doing it, money-wise. But I want it that way, because it keeps my independent. I like to try out gear and thats an opportunity to do it.

I do write in very different styles on my website and here on BF. The readers are different and I tend to think differently in the two languages. The verdict being the same, there may be a difference in emphesizing certain details. In fact, I thorougly enjoy to write in english ahere, because I can do it so different. But its not my mother tongue and so I occassionaly dont get it right.

The people in the pictures of my website always have blotched faces, if they want to remain anonymus. Only if they dont mind, I show their faces.

In retrospective, it was worth doing the review. My friend enjoyed using the bino vey much and I learned from her point-of-view to open my eyes to (for me) less interesting gear. My personal preferences are still different and the CL cant fulfill them. But someone with different needs can make a good purchase and be happy with it.

(Written before the first coffee, so please excuse the spellings;))

Last edited:
Oetzi,

To update the review, now that the Swar 8x25 CL is out,it's hard to imagine why someone looking for a traveling companion would buy the Companion over the pocket bin.

Brockophrastus

QUOTE]

The CL is a nice size in-between the tiny pocket bins and the chunky 32mm mid-size bins. I flirted with the idea of using a pocket/compact binocular as primary binocular, but I feel they are a bit tedious for full-time use. I use the little Olympus PCIII (which I store in my handbag) for use on lunch breaks, etc. (short periods of time).

The CL could be a good primary binocular for someone who wants a smaller, lighter bin compared to the larger, heavier offerings among mid-sized bins. The Ultravid is another super small 'mid-sized' bin, but there aren't too many of high quality this small.

Oetzi's friend explains how she appreciated the more substantial physical size and FOV of the CL over her pocket binoculars. The view is easier to step into compared to pocket bins yet the bin is still relatively portable and light. The CL is also ergonomically pleasing due in large part to the thin bridge.
Nikon's new Monarch 8x30 provides some evidence that this physical format is desirable. It's probably based on the success of the CL.

Last edited:
CL in the wilds of North Uist

Recently, we were walking on the exposed western coast of North Uist in the Outer Hebrides when we encountered a lady walker with backpack, heavy boots, an all-weather jacket and a determined expression.

Her bins of choice as she walked north along the mind-bogglingly fractured and tortured coast were a pair of Swaro CLs.

It's not hard to see why. They may not match up to the standards set by the ELs and SLCs but not so many years ago they would have been considered top rank instruments, and when there portability is factored in they are an attractive package for those who value what they are looking at, rather than what they are looking through.

Lee

The CL is a nice size in-between the tiny pocket bins and the chunky 32mm mid-size bins.

The CL could be a good primary binocular for someone who wants a smaller, lighter bin compared to the larger, heavier offerings among mid-sized bins.

Oetzi's friend explains how she appreciated the more substantial physical size and FOV of the CL over her pocket binoculars. The view is easier to step into compared to pocket bins yet the bin is still relatively portable and light.

Nicely summarized, Annabeth!
There are more than enough bino-user out there, who can benefit from something like the CL. Bino-nuts are a different breed.;)

...Okay, I'm talking out of school, and the usual critics will be swooping in with their poison pens (although I don't think they have tried a CL compact either), but speaking strictly as a Greek sophist, now that Swaro has come out with an oversized compact, the logic of a compact 8x30 seems to be neither here nor there...

Brock, I really enjoyed your review of the review. I enjoy very critical reviews that measure products (especially products from brands that specialize in high performance designs) against ideals, not that judge them by the (very weak) test of whether they might be useful to some users (i.e. whether they are marketable). But I don't understand the fuss over the 8x30 CL. It's a nice product from a prestige brand. Will it work as a binocular? Sure. Is is competitively priced compared to other products with the same label? Yes. Will it sell? Sure. Is the same true of the 8x25 CL. Yep. Is it worthwhile for Swarovski to have multiple offerings in the relatively small size and low price range (for their brand)? I'd say yes, because lots of casual binocular users who are affluent enough to go for a luxury brand will find those sorts of models most appealing. Do the styles of the two products potentially appeal to different buyers? Yes. Is the 8x30 CL a binocular designed to impress binocular aficionados who are hoping to see opical improvement in every new model from the design innovators? I'd say no. If you are looking for top-end optics, there are already choices of comparable weight and size that are better (Leica 8x32 Ultravid, Zeiss 8x32 FL), and if all you want is a bin with decent optics and low weight, there are plenty of 8x32 models that do as well as the CL. I will say that I like the look and ergonomics of the 8x30 CL better than the now discontinued Zeiss 8x30 Diafun, which seemed aimed at the same design/market niche.

--AP

Is the 8x30 CL a binocular designed to impress binocular aficionados who are hoping to see opical improvement in every new model from the design innovators? I'd say no. If you are looking for top-end optics, there are already choices of comparable weight and size that are better (Leica 8x32 Ultravid, Zeiss 8x32 FL), and if all you want is a bin with decent optics and low weight, there are plenty of 8x32 models that do as well as the CL.
--AP

You're right that the CL was produced to appeal to a wider customer base and not "binocular aficionados" or enthusiasts. It's Swaro's 'mid-priced' offering.
I do wish it was cheaper, but unfortunately Swaros don't come cheap. :)

I've looked quite a bit for a small, light weight, nice fit in a mid-sized binocular. Yes there are other models as you point out, but the CL is a little unique IMO (compared to those others) having that thin bridge (very appealing and comfy). For me, handling or fit/feel is of equal importance to optics.

Last edited:
Oetzi,

Brockophrastus

QUOTE]

The CL is a nice size in-between the tiny pocket bins and the chunky 32mm mid-size bins. I flirted with the idea of using a pocket/compact binocular as primary binocular, but I feel they are a bit tedious for full-time use. I use the little Olympus PCIII (which I store in my handbag) for use on lunch breaks, etc. (short periods of time).

The CL could be a good primary binocular for someone who wants a smaller, lighter bin compared to the larger, heavier offerings among mid-sized bins. The Ultravid is another super small 'mid-sized' bin, but there aren't too many of high quality this small.

Oetzi's friend explains how she appreciated the more substantial physical size and FOV of the CL over her pocket binoculars. The view is easier to step into compared to pocket bins yet the bin is still relatively portable and light. The CL is also ergonomically pleasing due in large part to the thin bridge.
Nikon's new Monarch 8x30 provides some evidence that this physical format is desirable. It's probably based on the success of the CL.

One of his friends/readers commented on the "tiny focuser" and how he/she couldn't grasp it with a glove was a very good point, and from looking at the sunken in focuser on the CL Pockets, that would be an issue. However, the larger objectives on the 8x25 yield a 3 mm exit pupil (as low as I care to limbo), so it shouldn't be as tedious to keep positioned as an 8x20 except when light levels are low and your young entrance pupils exceed its exit pupils.

I really want to like the Nikon 8x30 M7, because of the same reasons you and Oetzi's friend mentioned, plus it's half the price of an 8x30 CL and it's supposed to be very sharp in the centerfield to boot!

I'd certainly rather have a smallish 8x30 than a biggish carpenter pants pocket bin. But as the photo below illustrates, small roofs and big hands do not a good match make (unless you have fat thumbs). ;)

So I may be stuck with my porros and my Zip Lock bags.. Either that or I will have to learn to hold roofs with one hand, because unless it has an open bridge, there's no room for two Brock hands.

Big Boy

Attachments

• Brock's hand size resized.JPG
    Brock's hand size resized.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 784
One of his friends/readers commented on the "tiny focuser" and how he/she couldn't grasp it with a glove was a very good point, and from looking at the sunken in focuser on the CL Pockets, that would be an issue. However, the larger objectives on the 8x25 yield a 3 mm exit pupil (as low as I care to limbo), so it shouldn't be as tedious to keep positioned as an 8x20 except when light levels are low and your young entrance pupils exceed its exit pupils.

I really want to like the Nikon 8x30 M7, because of the same reasons you and Oetzi's friend mentioned, plus it's half the price of an 8x30 CL and it's supposed to be very sharp in the centerfield to boot!

I'd certainly rather have a smallish 8x30 than a biggish carpenter pants pocket bin. But as the photo below illustrates, small roofs and big hands do not a good match make (unless you have fat thumbs). ;)

So I may be stuck with my porros and my Zip Lock bags.. Either that or I will have to learn to hold roofs with one hand, because unless it has an open bridge, there's no room for two Brock hands.

Big Boy

Yeah it looks like you do have big hands. My hands aren't exactly tiny (I'm about 5'9")...more like medium sized (see avatar pic). The little Olympus PCIII is pretty small in my hands. The CL is nice b/c I can wrap ring and pinky finger around the barrels. The good thing about Nikon is that they are stocked in a lot of shops, so you might be able to check out the little M7 8x30 at a local sports shop when it hits the shelves. You can pick it up and see how you like it. The sporting goods store down the street from me might have it. They carry Nikon and Bushnel mainly, so hopefully I will get to see the new Nikon at this store. It looks nice online and the specs are very nice too.

Last edited:
Yeah it looks like you do have big hands. My hands aren't exactly tiny (I'm about 5'9")...more like medium sized (see avatar pic). The little Olympus PCIII is pretty small in my hands. The CL is nice b/c I can wrap ring and pinky finger around the barrels. The good thing about Nikon is that they are stocked in a lot of shops, so you might be able to check out the little M7 8x30 at a local sports shop when it hits the shelves. You can pick it up and see how you like it. The sporting goods store down the street from me might have it. They carry Nikon and Bushnel mainly, so hopefully I will get to see the new Nikon at this store. It looks nice online and the specs are very nice too.

I hope Dick's Sporting Goods will carry them. They usually don't have the configurations I want to try, though. I wanted to try the Yosemite BX-1 in the 6x30 configuration to see if they had changed the eyecups (I found the originals weren't long enough for the ER, so I experienced image blackouts unless I held the eyecups away from my eyes), but they only had the 8x30. I wanted to try the 8x42 Prostaff 7, but they only carried the 10x42. I like the Prostaff's ergos, good for big/long hands.Lots of barrel to wrap your fingers around.

There's also a Sportsman's Liquidation Outlet here, which carries the Monarch 5.

I'll probably end up holding the 8x30 M7 with my fingertips. Given it's lightweight, that might be doable. It wasn't doable with the 24 oz 8x32 LX, which weighed as much as the 10x42 SE (the LX was too heavy and the SE too lightweight). Which just goes to show, always something, if it's not one thing, it's another....;)

Maybe in the spring. I expect to use the Vixen 7x50 Foresta as the arc of the sun sinks lower in the sky. Despite not having ample entrance pupils to utilize the 7mm exit pupils, it does brighten up the landscape, and the image is quite good.

I remember someone, was it Gijs? who measured the resolution of the Foresta and found it was only 4.8 arcseconds? Seems very "sharp" to me, I can read fine details on the power transformer (with Dennis, the litmus test is his CD collection, with me, it's the small print on the transformer). Maybe I got a "cherry."

<B>

Last edited:
I'll probably end up holding the 8x30 M7 with my fingertips. Given it's lightweight, that might be doable. It wasn't doable with the 24 oz 8x32 LX, which weighed as much as the 10x42 SE (the LX was too heavy and the SE too lightweight). Which just goes to show, always something, if it's not one thing, it's another....;)

<B>

When holding the CL I can wrap the ring and pinky fingers around the barrel, but the left hand is not usually wrapped around the barrel. I use my fingers to steady it. There just isn't enough room for both hands.

If you just only use your fingers to hold the little bin you will exude style and give off an air of civility and sophistication. You can hold the bin with one hand and a cup of tea with the other (held by thumb and index finger with pinky pointed outward). Suddenly, almost out of nowhere women will approach you and engage in conversation. :)

Last edited:
When holding the CL I can wrap the ring and pinky fingers around the barrel, but the left hand is not usually wrapped around the barrel. I use my fingers to steady it. There just isn't enough room for both hands.

If you just only use your fingers to hold the little bin you will exude style and give off an air of civility and sophistication. You can hold the bin with one hand and a cup of tea with the other (held by thumb and index finger with pinky pointed outward). Suddenly, almost out of nowhere women will approach you and engage in conversation. :)

Good one Anna, now I hope Brock will pay attention to your
advice.

Jerry

Last edited:
there are a few quotes with incorrect names on this thread. weird !

p.s. I hope people realize that wasn't advice, but just a lame attempt at humor. :)

I've had a chance to try these out now and ordered a demo pair from Camera Land. Like any bin, not perfect but I was impressed enough that I won't miss my 8x32 SE's when they sell.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back