• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2014 (1 Viewer)

I am at home in California for a few more weeks and if all goes as it should we will be spending the 2014 hurricane season--June through October--at home, so I am going to join the Garden List thread this year. I will miss the spring migrants, but I don't care, I am just happy to finally be able to join this thread. I have really enjoyed it over the years.
I was able to get out to our place in San Diego County for a few days after the new year started and got a small list started. I hope to get one more day there before returning to Mexico.
1. American Crow
2. Common Raven
3. White-crowned Sparrow
4. California Towhee
5. Spotted Towhee
6. Yellow-rumped Warbler
7. California Thrasher
8. Red-winged Blackbird
9. American Kestrel
10. Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon)
11. Northern Flicker
12. Acorn Woodpecker
13. Hermit Thrush
14. Western Scrub Jay
15. Black Phoebe
16. Anna's Hummingbird
17. Greater Roadrunner
18. Bush Tits
19. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
20. Starling:(
21. Bewick's Wren
22. Common Yellow-throat
23. Canyon Wren
24. Northern Mockingbird
25. Song Sparrow

Minus 18 C, rising to minus 17 C as I left at midday (almost tropical at minus 13 C when I arrived in the city).

But on the frozen lake, footprints of a new mammal species for my land ...any guesses?
For some reason, Water Vole, popped into my head, but since I didn't know what mammals you already had, I went to your website to find a list. I saw the last posted photo under mammals and reptiles was a Black Rat; not necessarily the latest mammal though. What a great site you have Jos. I really admire you for being so dedicated for so long. Minus 18--- It hurts to even think about it.

Last edited:
Slow start for the year...

1. Black-capped Chickadee
2. White-breasted Nuthatch
3. European Starling
4. Purple Finch
5. American Goldfinch
6. American Crow
7. Brown Creeper
8. Golden-crowned Kinglet
9. Dark-eyed Junco

Finally a few birds have found the garden and seawatching continued to add to the list, Red-necked Grebe was a new one from the house and seeing it before Great tit, Blue tit, woodpigeon or chaffinch is a bit crazy! the passage of 257 little gulls was a record for the house by at least 200 birds! Puffin was another cracking bird, not guaranteed every year.

32 Puffin
33 Red-necked Grebe
34 Lesser Black-backed Gull
35 Blue Tit
36 Great Tit
37 Little Gull
38 Eider
39 Woodpigeon
40 Chaffinch

Still slow...but!...this got me jumping for joy this am!...probably the first for c5years..temps. of -6 promised Friday night, might just get things moving?

They just have!...Song Thrush in the garden..1st this year!..and a solitary Long-tailed Tit (not often singles only?) no.43.

Cheers

Attachments

• Starling on feeder.jpg
    Starling on feeder.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
But on the frozen lake, footprints of a new mammal species for my land ...any guesses?

Here's a picture of the tracks, running across the ice in this shot (notice beaver lodge in rear right).

Nights minus 20-21 C now, one addition for the year list - a very unexpected Blackbird. Very very small numbers winter in inland Lithuania - seen them in Vilnius garden before, but this is my first ever winter record on my land.

23. Blackbird

Attachments

• tracks lab 1.jpg
    tracks lab 1.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 65
Here's a picture of the tracks, running across the ice in this shot (notice beaver lodge in rear right).

Nights minus 20-21 C now, one addition for the year list - a very unexpected Blackbird. Very very small numbers winter in inland Lithuania - seen them in Vilnius garden before, but this is my first ever winter record on my land.

23. Blackbird
Otter!?

Spot on :)

Got to feel a little sorry for the critter ...I can't even begin to imagine how far it is to the first water that is not frozen. A small sluggish river exists about three miles way linking two lakes, but that is almost certainly frozen over. The first river ice-free has got to be miles and miles away!

Spot on :)

Got to feel a little sorry for the critter ...I can't even begin to imagine how far it is to the first water that is not frozen. A small sluggish river exists about three miles way linking two lakes, but that is almost certainly frozen over. The first river ice-free has got to be miles and miles away!
Poor little (biggish) thing. It is so tough to survive. The lady I often went walking with in Panama saw the Southern River otters there twice, I never saw them. They have got to be contenders for one of the top ten cutest things on the planet. Love them! Lucky you, I hope you see it. (Well, lucky you except for all that cold white stuff all over the place.) Although you do get unrivaled springs when you have real winters.

29. Mealy Redpoll

At last!

I really don't know what happened to them but on December 31st I had 20+ Lesser Redpoll and 3 Mealy Redpoll. New years day brought just 6 Lesser Redpoll and then nothing since. Really unusual to be Redpoll free in the winter in my garden, anyway.......

They are back. A large flock just arrived which includes 25+ Lessers and 2 Mealys. Probably the same group that were visiting pre New Year, wonder where they have been.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back