• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which entry level camera? (1 Viewer)

GeoffWood

I was thinking of entering the world of digiscoping using my Zeiss 65 Scope with 15-45x zoom.
My initial thought was one of the Kyoceras or the Contax.(the prices are really tempting) I am not usually worried about buying a discontinued model, but a discontinued model from a maker that has ceased production worries me a bit.
Would a newcomer be advised to get the Canon that seems to be getting good reviews at the moment?
Thanks, Geoff

GeoffWood said:
I was thinking of entering the world of digiscoping using my Zeiss 65 Scope with 15-45x zoom.
My initial thought was one of the Kyoceras or the Contax.(the prices are really tempting) I am not usually worried about buying a discontinued model, but a discontinued model from a maker that has ceased production worries me a bit.
Would a newcomer be advised to get the Canon that seems to be getting good reviews at the moment?
Thanks, Geoff

Geoff
As far as quality and ease of use goes you could do a lot worse than the A95. More or less any of the 3-4x zoom cameras are suitable for digiscoping but it often pays to get one that is getting good reviews and there is a lot of useful information about the A95 available at the moment.
If you haven't done so already read the several threads running at the moment and then make your decision.

regards

john-henry

Geoff,

I use the Canon A95 with the same scope/eyepiece you've got, and I'm very happy with it.

It's a surprisingly "accessible" camera for one that does so much (read: I'm a camera doofus and I can understand it!), and the picture quality is excellent.

The build quality seems very good too. It has a nice "heft" to it - and it doesn't feel lightweight or fragile.

Plus, little things like the large swivelling LCD screen make a lot of difference.

You could do a lot worse.

Hi Geoff

It may be worth giving an idea as to your budget for this camera, then I'm sure people will be able to come up with more suggestions.
I would recommend buying the best you can, or you'll just end up wanting to upgrade in a few months. I have noticed that the coolpix 4500 (classic digiscoping camera) seems to be getting cheap, Cley Spy have their demo model for sale might be worth contacting them to find out how much it is.

Hi Geoff,

If you don't mind a discontinued model the Nikon Coolpix 4300 can be picked up for around £150 and gives you a 4mp camera that with a £10 adapter has a 28mm thread.

postcardcv said:
Hi Geoff

It may be worth giving an idea as to your budget for this camera, then I'm sure people will be able to come up with more suggestions.
I would recommend buying the best you can, or you'll just end up wanting to upgrade in a few months. I have noticed that the coolpix 4500 (classic digiscoping camera) seems to be getting cheap, Cley Spy have their demo model for sale might be worth contacting them to find out how much it is.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have not fixed a budget, but would not want to exceed £400 for the camera and the bits & pieces required for digiscoping.
My current digital camera (4 years old) is a Fujifilm 4700, which I believe is not suitable for digiscoping. In any case, the resolution is nothing like the Canon A95.
I think that I would have gone for one of the Kyoceras if they were still in production. Now looking more towards the Canon.

I was just looking around - trying to find the best price on the Canon 300d that I'm after, when I notice that http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/ are doing A-grade refurb Coolpix 4500's for £249. They come boxed, with all leads and software and a full 12 month warranty. This is how I bought my cp4500 about 18 months ago and have had no problems with it, a good way to get a great camera for a great price.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back