• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glanville's African Swift (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here's some possible additions regarding the etymology for:

● the subspecies Apus barbatus glanvillei BENSON 1967 (here)
= most likely the Irish (alt. British?) civil servant and collector Robert Ranulph Glanville (19011983), Esq., Colonial Agricultural Service, Agricultural Officer in Sierra Leone… etc. etc.

Born in about May 1901, Rathdown county (Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown), Dublin Region, Ireland … and he apparently died (somewhere) in 1983 (where I haven´t seen). Fairly recent deaths are most often not open to the public, on the net.

Anyone think otherwise?
---

I found his second name in Debrett's Peerage, Baronetage, Knightage, and Companionage 1969 p. 2660 written as...

GLANVILLE, Robert Ranulf, C.B.E., son of the late Edward S. Glanville, of Blackrock co. Dublin; b. 1901; ed. at Wesley Coll., and at Trin. Coll., Dublin (B.A. and Bachelor of Agriculture 1922); B.Sc. National Univ of Ireland 1924; is Asso., Roy. Coll. of Science , Ireland; was Agricultural Officer, Sierra Leone 1924-40, Principal Agricultural Officer, Nigeria 1940-45, and Director of Agriculture, Sierra Leone 1945-51 : m. 1931, Lillian Florence, da. of Vivian P. Dupen; cr. M.B.E. (Civil) 1935 C.B.E. (Civil) 1947.

Same The Ibis - Vol104 - p. xv
Glanville, Robert Ranulf, C.B.E., B.A., B.Sc., A.R.C.Sc.1.; Derryclare, Kilternan, Co. Dublin, Eire. 1957

Last edited:
I guess you´re right, Martin. See the following links, here (p.153, second column) or here, here, here ... and so on. I was mislead by this link, here, on RootsWeb. Sorry. Makes one wonder if he really did die in -83 ... who knows?

However: Robert Ranulf Glanville it is!

Thanks for putting me straight! :t:

---

Last edited:
Maybe it is time to re-open this thread. The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
African Black Swift ssp.Apus barbatus glanvillei C.W. Benson, 1967
R. R. Glanville (b.1901) was a British senior agricultural officer in Sierra Leone (1924–1944) and principal principal agricultural officer in Nigeria (1944–1950). He wrote Agricultural Survey of the Existing and Potential Rice Lands in the Swamp Areas of the Little Scarcies, Great Scarcies, Port Loko and Rokel Rivers (1931).

But that's not the reason for re-opening. It is just the doubt (as well in the key) if death 1983 is correct or not.

Robert Ranulf Glanville
Birth13 Mar 1901 Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Residence2 Apr 1911 Dublin, Ireland
Death1983?
FatherEdward Samuel Glanville (1844-1928)
MotherSelina Agnes Vance (1864-1946)
SpouseLillian Florence Dupen (1906-1998)

Think you are right to question the 1983 death date. This seems to be based on a Robert Glanville of Atlanta, Georgia - I can find no evidence this is our man and no formal evidence for his death. Have written to his granddaughter to clarify.

P

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back