• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings anybody? (1 Viewer)

There are 23 birds in two flocks in back gardens in Station Road near Upper Warlingham station today.

Cheers,

Adam

Thanks Adam, if that sighting came from Bird Guides then it's the one my brother logged after we found them at that site this morning. Absolutely magical birds and very easy to observe. Because of the large number of windfall apples in the back garden concerned there were lots of fieldfares and redwings too. But the highlight for me definitely the waxwings: birds I never thought I'd see and certainly not 5mins from my house! Seeing them is a childhood dream realised. Superb.

David

Waxwings

5 seen in Stevenage. Herts. 12.00pm yesterday.

These birds have been here for a couple of weeks in a local garden's Rowan tree.

Anyone know if there have been any sightings within easy reach of Swindon, Wilts.
I haven't seen any Waxwings since early 2005, they were at Cirencester.

there some at Cheltenham at the moment, about 17. This is off the gloster birder website:
Cheltenham - 17 Waxwings at The Grove, off Hales Road, feeding on an ornamental Rowan tree. they were there this morning. There is also a Great Grey Shrike at Cirencester opp. Tescos in a set aside field, so you could make a day of it?

Last edited:
In absence of my esteemed colleague here is the latest Grampian Ringing Group Waxwing update. Some great sightings including a Norwegian ringed bird where the finder managed to read the full number !

Keep checking loose small flocks as the Norwegian bird was part of a group of 10 that also contained two colour ringed birds, one from Aberdeen confirmed and the other a suspected Orkney bird.

Attachments

• WXWG-2008-09-140109.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 705
Waxwings in Northumberland

Please refer to Northumbrian Birding thread for notes and images from last week-end's waxies' visit to Ponteland, Northumberland.

14 here today in Basford park road Stoke on Trent.

I have been observing a flock of waxwings, I estimate around 50 of them,
they can be seen at The John Marstons Pub at

LONGTON HALL ROAD
BLURTON
STOKE ON TRENT
STAFFORDSHIRE.

Please be aware if you go to see them, they can also be seen about 100 yds to the right of the pub, going towards longton,
outside the pensioners bungalows

David Perry (RSPB Member) :t::t::t:

I have been observing a flock of waxwings, I estimate around 50 of them,
they can be seen at The John Marstons Pub at

LONGTON HALL ROAD
BLURTON
STOKE ON TRENT
STAFFORDSHIRE.

Please be aware if you go to see them, they can also be seen about 100 yds to the right of the pub, going towards longton,
outside the pensioners bungalows

David Perry (RSPB Member) :t::t::t:

Hello ozric,

Not Waxwing related but is your 'tag' from the Ozric Tentacles? Great band!

I,ve not seen any great numbers of Waxwings in Lothian this year, best was about 40 in early January. Looks like only relatively few have decided to stick around here.

Cheers G

Just a quick update. There have been a resident number of Waxwings (between 25 and 40) in Hanley, Stoke on Trent. They are opposite Iceland which is near to Hanley bus station. They have been there for over 2 weeks now and there is still plenty of berries on the trees. Anyone wishing to see them before they return home, this will be your last chance methinks. Great views from a little as 4 feet away. Neil. The small picture in my signature was taken yesterday.

c35 (I think 37) waxwings in Lurgan, Co. Armagh today on a garden tree.

First for me! Maybe they're on the move again or something- they didn't hang around for too long.

I was going to go birding this morning too - glad I didn't now, they were just down the road from me - back to bed now!

Just looked at the rare bird map and it said there are 820 :)eek!:) birds in Darwen near Blackburn, has anyone on here been to see them!? It must be one hell of a sight!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back