• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tatty Goldcrest - just tired, or ill? (1 Viewer)

Jonno52

John (a bad birdwatcher)
Supporter
United Kingdom
This bird looks in a bad state. I'm wondering if it is just in poor condition from having incessant hungry mouths to feed, or if it's showing signs of an avian disease.

The photo was taken on 15 June. The bird was behaving normally as far as I could see. There's another image of the same bird here.

All observations gratefully received.

Thank you

Attachments

• Goldcrest 5195.jpg
    Goldcrest 5195.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 157
Possibly a worn out parent John?
This is certainly what I'm hoping KC, as it's a happier thought than disease. Though I guess the chances of this bird recovering enough to breed next year are remote. And of course the natural lifespan of a tiny species like this is pretty short. Regardless, this unfortunate bird is not a pretty sight, and no candidate for the Gallery (I'm hoping to start posting to there again soon, BTW. Eye discomfort is the problem as usual).

Anyway, thanks very much for your reply, and best wishes.

Though I guess the chances of this bird recovering enough to breed next year are remote. And of course the natural lifespan of a tiny species like this is pretty short.
Longer than you might think! They've been known to live to 5 years, though its true that the average is a lot less than that.

This bird will look fine once it has fledged its young and moulted in some new feathers over the next month or so.

i think the droopy mouth coupled with the bent eyebrow makes it look worse than it hopefully is! almost human expreession of weariness.

i wonder why the wing looks so droopy? i have a dunnock the same and thought that was because of the loony wing waving they do at each other but now a blackbird mum looks the same. perhaps it comes from being scrunched up while brooding. i hope your goldcrest soon recovers, they are usually pretty perky round here chasing flies like humming birds.

Longer than you might think! They've been known to live to 5 years, though its true that the average is a lot less than that.

This bird will look fine once it has fledged its young and moulted in some new feathers over the next month or so.
Excellent news Nutty, thanks for that. I was assuming an average lifespan of maybe 18 months to two years, so it's interesting to learn they can last longer.

i think the droopy mouth coupled with the bent eyebrow makes it look worse than it hopefully is! almost human expreession of weariness
You're right about the "droopy mouth" making Goldcrests look (oh dear) "crestfallen". Like this one I posted in the Gallery ages ago with a suitable caption.

I don't know about the droopy wing, hopefully it was just having a good stretch. It was able to fly normally as far as I could make out.

Anyway cheers, all the best.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back