• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scillies in May? (1 Viewer)

Hi I have never been to the Scillies so I would like to know best time of year to go? Also what is the best Island to stay on? best hotel? pub's? any information really thanks in advance Clive

Hi I have never been to the Scillies so I would like to know best time of year to go? Also what is the best Island to stay on? best hotel? pub's? any information really thanks in advance Clive

a lot a rarity hunters go in october and i think its usually the second week. if your on a budget you may want to consider camping as the scillies does not come cheap. they do have their own website on the scillies for accom so thats a starting point but expect to pay probably around £400 pound a week for the cheapest.

May is an excellent time on Scilly - not uncommon to get various southern herons, oodles of Golden Orioles, Hoopoes, etc, plus the odd real crippler of a rarity, eg Tree Swallow, etc. Plus, generally very nice islands at that time.

The Islands are obviously famous for the October Scilly season but a lot of birders are opting for later or earlier trips now, ie last week in Oct or first in November OR last two weeks in September. Im going in May and last week in Oct this year.

My October trip isnt THAT expensive. I share a cottage on StMarys with four others, costs around 80 quid each for the week. Flights are about 125 quid return then however much you wanna spend on beer and food! Boats to off Islands were £7 return last October.

Went there in May 2006,main birds being Iceland Gull and Golden O. Did some camping on the Garrison,St Marys(£6 a night). Can only agree with previous comments concerning October,the expense and the beauty of the islands. There are four pubs in the main town(Hugh Town),my favourite being The Atlantic due to the quality of the St Austell ales and a furter one just outside The Old Town. Fortunatly there is a pub on each of the outer islands,the Turks Head on St Agnes and Severn Stones(recently on TV) St Martins being particularly picturesque. Not been on Bryer recently. Some hotels in Hugh Town but never stayed in any so can't comment. Hope you enjoy your stay.

May 2007 had Little Swift and Squacco Heron along with the regular scarce migrants. Pubs include The Porthcressa, The Mermaid, The Bishop and Wolf, The Atlantic and of course the Scillonian Club all on St Mary's. Theres lots of Hotels ranging from expensive like the Star Castle to less expensive like The Atlantic. Lots of B&B's and holiday cottages to let. I think you wil be lucky to get anywhere in May now unless you are camping. Gig week is coming up and EVERYWHERE is booked up as far as i know. The bank holiday at the end of May is pretty full too.

Very surprised no one has mentioned the Lesser Kestrel which was seen in May 2002.My Uncle saw that bird.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back