• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Return migration has started! (1 Viewer)

I have noticed there were a few Waxwings reported on the Yorkshire coast yesterday.Hope its a good winter for Waxwings always nice to see them.

My first returning Green Sandpiper near Castro Verde, southern Portugal - 22nd June 2011. Quite an early one though I have found them quite regularly in late June. What most impresses me about these (failed breeders?) is they arrive as the heat starts here and stay on through the hottest part of the year with temps regularly approaching the high 30ºs and even 40º+. Most seem to vacate in mid/late March.

For Cuckoos, autumn migration began in June! Check out the satellite-tagged Cuckoos at www.bto.org/cuckoos - some amazing stories in there. Check out Chris's blog.

Four out of five birds tagged in the UK are now in Africa and it if only the second half of July!

Sponsor one if you can!

Weds 27th of July had a fem/imm Pied flycatcher in the New forest the day before 3 others were reported from different sites in forest.

Steve.

Hate to be a spoilsport, but strictly speaking, the title of this thread is wrong;).

'Return' migration is migration to the breeding site where the species originally hatched. Migration from the breeding site is described as 'outward' migration. Using these terms avoids confusion between 'spring' and 'autumn' movements, because spring in the southern hemisphere (It's almost the austral spring here at Cape York) coincides with autumn in the north... Time for a B :) or two!|;|
MJB

Hate to be a spoilsport, but strictly speaking, the title of this thread is wrong;).

'Return' migration is migration to the breeding site where the species originally hatched. Migration from the breeding site is described as 'outward' migration. Using these terms avoids confusion between 'spring' and 'autumn' movements, because spring in the southern hemisphere (It's almost the austral spring here at Cape York) coincides with autumn in the north... Time for a B :) or two!|;|
MJB

Thanks MJB. It took 3 years to be noticed!

Here's the first Whitethroat arriving back in my garden feeding on the lantana bush this migration

i am suspecting the presence of one here since 10 days. not very early sometimes they appear as early as the last week of July, but until now i did not get any shot.

also i thought i heard the whistle of the blue checked bee-eaters, but also did not see them, our sky is too bright in the afternoon for one to look.

and not yet any red-backed shrikes, or the Rofous bush robin. they are usually the first to come.:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back