• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden List 2011 (1 Viewer)

The 'wet-my-lips' call was elicited 2-3 times in quick succession, and it sounded as though it was coming from a fair height. It was a humid still evening, Ideal conditions from an acoustics perspective. I submitted the 'hearing' to the London Bird Report expecting a negative response...then subsequently finding another observer's 'heard' record in the LBR same time/date c20 miles North of my abode circa a year later!....Yes there's a big.. big world outside of BWP!

Vilnius garden continues its run of luck - sowing grass seed at dusk last night and over flew a Woodcock, roding along the line of pines ...only the second record for this garden.

Should total up the year list for this garden too I suppose.

Summer migrants continuing to roll in, albeit rather slow and most a little late.

Upon the veranda, still the booming of a distant Bittern echoing throught the trees, and to and fro from the far-off lake, both Common and Black Terns overhead today, a flock of six of the latter.
Newly arrived, both Wood Warblers and Cuckoos singing here and there, two Mistle Thrushes also my first of the year on my land. With a tad of afternoon sun, a flush of butterflies on the wing - Green-veined Whites amongst the Orange Tips, Maps and Brimstones.

Sat upon my raptor point for a while hoping for a Lesser Spotted Eagle, all no avail - displaying Marsh Harriers, a couple of Buzzards, more distant Black Terns, but no eagle of any sort.

And then on the roof of the house, a last addition to my year list - male Black Redstart singing.

80. Common Tern.
81. Black Tern.
82. Cuckoo.
83. Swallow.
84. Black Redstart.
85. Mistle Thrush.
86. Wood Warbler.

Jos Hi,
Just out of interest!...You obviously have an extremely rich and diverse population of birds in Lithuania. I don't know how long you have birded there..Question..in the time that you have resided (years?) have you noticed declines in any particular species?

cheers

Question..in the time that you have resided (years?) have you noticed declines in any particular species?

Been here about 12 years or so.

Massive decline, to the point of extinction, of Rollers (I would attribute this to factors beyond LT's borders).

Also Steller's Eider as a wintering species, in my first years, flocks of 600-800 birds, as of last couple of years, effectively gone (whether this is actually a decline or simply the birds remaining further north, difficult to say without data from states to the north).

Off the top of my head, can't think of any notable declines in any other species.

On the up, Great White Egret is best example - rare vagrant when I arrived, abundant species now, flocks of 300 on occasion, breeding in several localities. Quite a few species showing slight to moderate rises. Species such as Red-backed Shrike and Wryneck seem in the last one to two years to be rising, very healthy populations of both.

I imagine the E.U. will ultimately screw the population of a few species such as Corncrake and even Montagu's Harrier - currently vast area are semi-abandoned/left fallow, but farmers are now paid by the E.U. to cut grass regardless of whether the grass is wanted/needed. Most farmers cut too early for nesting species, the result predictable. The E.U. should, but does not, link grants to later cutting (a neighbour of mine has asked permission to cut my grass to claim the money - whilst I have given him the go ahead. I stipulate the cutting time). E.U. also funds drainage scheme, so farmers can now have unused dry grass instead of unused wet meadows, the latter umpteen times richer in birds.

But by and large, the country is still incredibly rich (even more so for butterflies, etc) - farming remains low intensity and, given the population is plunging, rural depopulation should ensure it stays this way at least for the near future. Population decline in people due to (a) highest suicide rate in the western world, (b) highest murder rate (drunks killing their drinking buddies in villages), (c) second highest death rate on the roads in Europe, (d) one of the highest per capita levels of emigration (to UK and Ireland, etc).

So back to your original question, have I noticed any declines in particular species - yep, Homo sapiens litanicas (total population in c.1990, 3.7 million, total population today, c.3 million).

Jos many thanks for your 12 year 'snapshot', I have found it most illuminating and dare I say it comforting to know that there are parts of Europe where there has been relatively 'little' change, particularly for two of my favourite species..RB Shrike and Wryneck. Fingers crossed for Roller! perhaps more 'snapshots' of this species to the South and East of the Baltic might help to give a clearer understanding as to where the higher breeding densities may lie, and the extent of any population changes. It appears that Grt.White Egret is undergoing a degree of expansion in Northern Europe, correlation with Little Egret in the UK?

Cheers :t:

It was with great relief that after waiting 8 days and my garden listing going South..... that a Sunday 'heard' only... Garden Warbler in the hedge, followed by an extremely 'high' House Martin on Monday, with today another 'heard only', in the neighbours hedge (hanging out the window with ears cocked for an hour) hoping for a distant Cuckoo, gave me Common Whitethroat, and then three...high flying Sand Martins puts me on 65!

cheers

Great to be blown out of the water by the big guns of the Wirral & Lithuania - no hope of catching you, Jane!

A little hope today - a Shelduck flew past on patch - so there's always a chance from the garden.

WELL! Just had a very probable Great white egret !!

Spotted it c. mile to the south, heading west, unfortunately it then turned south, ie. away from me. Basically a white Heron-shaped bird, gliding, with occasional wing adjustments, no flapping. Seemed to be loosing height as it went south.

To count or not to count - that is the question. If it turns up later somewhere south of here then I will definitely; if not...what do reckon?

Nice too to hear a Whitethroat and Goldcrest singing nearby this morning.

For this year in our yard.

38. Summer Tanager

* This is a new yard bird for our all time "Yard List" at our present location (140 species).

So, following a re-sighting of possibly the same bird over west about 20-25 miles away later l think I should say

83 : Great white egret !

A late joiner to this thread but ...

Reached 101 on Monday evening with a stonking male ruff.
A skua sp. yesterday morning stayed unidentified.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back