• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Formatting new USB problems.....any advice?? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I purchased a new USB to transfer folders/files to my new lap top.
I plug it in and the computer calls it "removable disc E.
It tells me..........."It is not formatted...do I want to format it" ?
I click yes.
A box tells me "If I format it-I will lose all information" (no problem as it's brand new) so I click yes.
Another box comes up saying "windows is unable to complete the format".
There no other options.
I have re-tried maybe 5 times.....checked all possible options/boxes to tick etc.
I have unplugged and re-plugged to ensure it is the correct.
Is it something simple/obvious I am missing ??

Don't you just hate computers David!!!!

I dunno what's going on... but what you could try is to just copy.... make sure it's copy though and not cut and paste.... a single file to that USB drive to see if it 'takes' it. Then take the USB out (remember to do that properly by "safely disconnecting").

Then plug it in again to see if it still works and maybe the message will go away.

Try that 'till an expert comes in.

Don't you just hate computers David!!!!

I dunno what's going on... but what you could try is to just copy.... make sure it's copy though and not cut and paste.... a single file to that USB drive to see if it 'takes' it. Then take the USB out (remember to do that properly by "safely disconnecting").

Then plug it in again to see if it still works and maybe the message will go away.

Try that 'till an expert comes in.
Hate them is putting it mildly :)
The problem is.......I cant open the USB to "copy & paste"***
***I can click on the "removable disc" thingymajig but then it goes into the formatting malarky.:-C

Try plug in the USB thingy into the new computer first.

If I get the format question I suspect that there is a problem with the connection - a new USB thingy should not need formatting.

Niels

Try plug in the USB thingy into the new computer first.

If I get the format question I suspect that there is a problem with the connection - a new USB thingy should not need formatting.

Niels
Right...........
I also have an old lap top and am going to transfer all that information to the new one.........I will go and try it on that.
Thanks

With today's Pcs/Laptops they will automatically detect a new device when you connect it, you will get a message like "new device detected ... preparing to install", then "install complete ...... device is ready to use".

If you are having problems then either your USB port is playing up or the USB is faulty. I suggest you take the USB back to where you bought it from and ask their advice!

Shane

With today's Pcs/Laptops they will automatically detect a new device when you connect it, you will get a message like "new device detected ... preparing to install", then "install complete ...... device is ready to use".

If you are having problems then either your USB port is playing up or the USB is faulty. I suggest you take the USB back to where you bought it from and ask their advice!
Shane
Thanks.
I plugged it into the old desk top and got the message "new device detected".
I'm sure I DID NOT get a message "preparing to install" & "install completed".
Does that help explain the problem ??

Thanks.
I plugged it into the old desk top and got the message "new device detected".
I'm sure I DID NOT get a message "preparing to install" & "install completed".
Does that help explain the problem ??

It might just be that the computer should have been using the same driver as another USB you have. But I think that unless the other PC finds the USB to be flawless, taking it back is a good idea.

Niels

It might just be that the computer should have been using the same driver as another USB you have. But I think that unless the other PC finds the USB to be flawless, taking it back is a good idea.
Niels

Just tried it in the old laptop and it worked 1st time.....no problem......it opened up on its own (no need to click anything) and I have dragged/dropped all folders.
So...........
how to do the same on the old desk top :(

On an older version of windows try right-click your "my computer", go to properties and thereafter device manager, open each device looking for error messages. Maybe there is a problem with the USB controller. Maybe it will work after a restart of the computer.

Niels

LOL so simple!!

Something similar happened with my old and trusty card reader. Although it had the right sized slot for an SD card, my card was an SDHC, which was 'new technology' and it couldn't read it! You can imagine the hoops I was jumping through to try and download my pictures until I discovered what was wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back