• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (4 Viewers)

Sadly no new birds recently, but a new mammal today, with Common Brushtail Possum joining Grey-headed Flying-Fox, Little Red Flying-Fox and Common Ringtail Possum on the list!

#11. Common Redpoll - couple. I didn't see any at last year, but 2 years ago plenty of those and few Arctic too. I do not mind the latter...

It's really been quite chilly here. I only hope that we get more snow here. Just a 10 or maybe 15 cm now (4 - 6 inch).

20. Ruffed Grouse - the bird was sitting and a was spooked when I walked by. Wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. Haven't seen many so far on the new property.
21. Brown Creeper

Last edited:
Being at home on a clear dusk this evening proved fruitful - not one, but two

Woodcock ( 47 )

flew up the valley, just breaking the horizon long enough to be seen.

Never had a Winter Chiffy!....however a "second occurence" only....3 Goosander flying East (in tight formation), on the frostiest am of the Winter so far...

Well I've never had Goosander.

Today, no 40) Raven, one flying over.......they gotta be breeding not to far away.:t:

Four more for the garden list the last couple of days, taking me to 20:

17. Bullfinch - a female has visited the ornamental cherry tree every day this week to feed on the small buds
18. Goldfinch - once upon a time, was an almost ever-present visitor to my feeders, but a rare sight in the garden these days; one flew over calling, yesterday
19. Grey Heron - presume the cold snap has caused its nearby habitat to freeze over, so was on the neighbours roof eying up his fish pond!
20. Collared Dove - hanging around the feeders this afternoon

Attachments

• heron1.jpg
    heron1.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Missed Wren from my previous count, plus a ''flock'' of Starlings passed the house yesterday (another ''Blue Chip'' event, can't recall that happening before!), puts me on 46.

A few additions:-

Yesterday
24 - Jackdaw - a common local resident often flying over or on house roofs
25 - Raven - the local pair engaged in some nice territorial 'mirror' flighting over the adjacent fields though short of full display

Today
26 - Grey Wagtail - the local wintering first-winter on the actual roof rather than the usual flyover
27 - Sparrowhawk - the local hunting female flew through
28 - Cormorant - flying down the adjacent channel

All the best

Last edited:
Hanging on my coat tails, there, Ken!

Like you I don't think Yellowhammer's likely - though they do breed a couple of miles east of here.

Hanging on my coat tails, there, Ken!

Like you I don't think Yellowhammer's likely - though they do breed a couple of miles east of here.

Bit miffed that my two "blue chips"(Hawfinch/Fcrst.) have not been seen this year so far H, although the latter can be found outback after a bit of due diligence and luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back