• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

For those awaiting the rush of migrants from Scandinavia (1 Viewer)

Julian Bell

Natural Born Birder
I've just returned from a week in the uplands of eastern Norway, where temperatures remain high and there is plenty of food - berries, seeds and lots of insects.

Thrushes are flocking and preparing to move but as there is still plenty of food they may well not be moving for a while yet. Waxwings are flocking and still flycatching rather than eating berries.

There were still Swallows, Wheatear, willow warbler and more even high up.

Common Scoter, Black-throated Diver and other wildfowl were still present on their breeding lakes.

As long as this warm weather continues these birds don't seem to be in a hurry to get moving.

Common Crane, Long-tailed Tit and others are migrating now.

For more details see this post.

Redwings, Fieldfares and Starlings hit the coast here in SW Norway the last week or so - feeding up on rowan berries before they leave. I've heard Redwing, Song thrush etc migrating over my house every night the last few days.

Blue Tit has also been moving the last few days.

Still plenty of swallows and warblers about.

Some rarities including a White's thrush today, as usual more details here.

Thousands of Redwings with a few Song Thrushes have been pouring in here for several days - no sign of Fieldfares yet though.

A few House Martins today passing through slowly.

Redwings, Fieldfares and Starlings hit the coast here in SW Norway the last week or so - feeding up on rowan berries before they leave. I've heard Redwing, Song thrush etc migrating over my house every night the last few days.

Blue Tit has also been moving the last few days.

Still plenty of swallows and warblers about.

Some rarities including a White's thrush today, as usual more details here.

It's so informative & interesting to read what these birds are presently up to - and we hope they will soon be here. Your loss is our gain, in this instance. Thanks Julian.

Saw my first mixed flock of Fieldfares and Redwings (about 20 total) over the Surrey/Sussex border near Gatwick so the easterlies are bring them in, and to the SE.
Mick

A waxwing on the FPSO Haewene Brim ( 150 miles east of Aberdeen ) yesterday along with Redpolls, Blackcaps, Garden warbler, Chiffchaff, Song thrush, Bluetits, Goldcrests, Firecrest,Wood pigeons,Wrens,
Collard dove, Pied wagtail, Starlings,Chaffinches, and a Brambling.

Dave

A waxwing on the FPSO Haewene Brim ( 150 miles east of Aberdeen ) yesterday along with Redpolls, Blackcaps, Garden warbler, Chiffchaff, Song thrush, Bluetits, Goldcrests, Firecrest,Wood pigeons,Wrens,

Dave

Wot, no Siberian Accentors?? :-O

Dave

Good to hear - wonder how many will have made it to the coast this morning. There were two Waxwings reported in Aberdeenshire yesterday - hopefully the first of many.

Dave

Hi Dave,
I'm really envious of your Waxwing. I'm on the Tartan A (leave at the moment), 117 miles NE of Aberdeen. There is a thread going in the Scottish section that may be of interest to you.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=328422

If you have the time, I'd love to see reports from other platforms on there.

Paul

Hi Dave,
I'm really envious of your Waxwing. I'm on the Tartan A (leave at the moment), 117 miles NE of Aberdeen. There is a thread going in the Scottish section that may be of interest to you.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=328422

If you have the time, I'd love to see reports from other platforms on there.

Paul

Hi Paul, I use to send my obs. in when I was on the Uisge Gorm, they put them in the North East section ( under North Sea ) as that's where I live, I still send all my obs to the NSBC though.

RBA have been reporting Waxwings for a few days now. Here is yesterday's tally (singles unless stated):

Fair Isle
North Ronaldsay
South Ronaldsay (2)
Papa Westray
Scatness, Shetland
Sutors of Cromarty, Highland (10)
Milltimber, Aberdeens
Barra, Western Isles
Lewis, Western Isles (6)
Flamborough Head, Yorks (4)
Spurn, E. Yorks
Easington, E. Yorks (the same?)
Walesby Moor, Lincs
Burnham Overy, Norfolk (5)
Holme, Norfolk (5) (= the same??)
Wells, Norfolk (2)
Trimingham, Norfolk (2)
Hemsby, Norfolk
S. Osyth, Essex

All over now, this is my local patch today in St Petersburg.

Three-toed and Black Woodpeckers have moved back in and it's the best time to see Nutcracker but I doubt we'll have any overwintering Fieldfares like last year, no berries here.

A

Attachments

• 2016-11-05.jpg
    2016-11-05.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 159
Russian driving is always a highlight of any winter however.............

A

Attachments

• 2016-11-04.jpg
    2016-11-04.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 192
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back