• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first Sapsucker (Lilypons, Frederick County, Maryland) (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
I love the woodies. I was hoping to tick each of the 7 woodpecker species that live in my area this year. Well today I ticked my sixth one (still have the Red-headed Woodpecker to go).

I was at Lilypons walking along the dike that follows the river around the perimeter of the water gardens and was having a fantastic time.

I let 2 lifers get away because I couldn't ID them. One was a plover/sandpiper that was very wary and would flush from dense cat tails if I got within 50 feet (not the same bird - I saw about 10 of them and each would flush before I even knew it was there) and the other was a Robin-sized bird that was chunkier and streaked in brown and white (like a female Red-winged Blackbird) and had a dark feature on its crown and clear yellow markings on its head. I was thinking Eastern Meadowlark, but it was at the top of a tall tree.

I saw the usual assortment of Chickadees, Kinglets, Tufted Titmouses (Titmice?), Sparrows, etc. I also saw a 10+ member group (flock, covey, murder, herd???) of Wild Turkeys from quite close (~25 meters) 2 foxes and a Bobcat.

OK. So, I was walking along the berm next to one of the ponds along the woodline and saw a bird fly from one tree to another. I knew it was a woodpecker by it's flight. It's color and size made me think "Hairy". I pulled up my bins and when I looked at it I thought "Pileated???" because of its red crown. But I knew it was too small. So I mentally rubbed my eyes and began to look closer and saw all the fieldmarks of a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. Yureka! Another lifer for me and 1 step closer to seeing all 7 woodies in my area.

Terry O'Nolley said:
I let 2 lifers get away because I couldn't ID them. One was a plover/sandpiper that was very wary and would flush from dense cat tails if I got within 50 feet (not the same bird - I saw about 10 of them and each would flush before I even knew it was there) and the other was a Robin-sized bird that was chunkier and streaked in brown and white (like a female Red-winged Blackbird) and had a dark feature on its crown and clear yellow markings on its head. I was thinking Eastern Meadowlark, but it was at the top of a tall tree.

Sounds like it might have been a Killdeer, perhaps?

Congratulations Terry. If you want to take a drive down to Myrtle Beach, we have plenty of Red-headed Woodies around here ;)

KCFoggin said:
Congratulations Terry. If you want to take a drive down to Myrtle Beach, we have plenty of Red-headed Woodies around here ;)
I just wish someone would give me a pointer like that to a place I can call "local"........ anyone? Anyone in the Baltimore/Washington DC/Northern Virginia area that can point to a good place to see Red-headed Woodpeckers????? Please?????

Last edited:
Terry O'Nolley said:
No, I am very familiar with Killdeers. These were good-sized Sandpiper-type birds - looked very much like Woodcock as they flew.

Wilson's Snipe?...similar size to Woodcock, flush unexpectedly from cover...

Grousemore said:
Wilson's Snipe?...similar size to Woodcock, flush unexpectedly from cover...
Wilson's Snipe is a good possibility, but these birds consistently flew in a straight line for 50 meters or so and then curved around to find a new hiding place.

Terry,
Lilypons brings back lots of memories. A great MD birding spot. Thanks.
R-H Woodpeckers were regular at Hughes Hollow. Do you know the spot? Have you tried it? It's along the Potomac. I saw them in the trees behind the impoundments many times in 2002-2004, then I moved away from beautiful MD (sniffle). Caveat: I did not find them every time I visited, but regularly.
If you don't know Hughes, ask around locally or consult the Birder's Guide to Montgomery County, Maryland, available from the Montgomery County chapter of the MOS http://www.mdkinc.com/mccbird/MCC Site Guide.htm

My copy is in MD at my parents house. You'll love this book. You are centrally located in Silver Springs to get to all it's sites easily.
I can drive to Hughes, yet cannot tell you the names of any of the roads! Sorry. I did a quick websearch, but dont find any good directions to the place. It's not too far from Lilypons. Do get good directions. There are several unmarked entrances, but only the one that has you park in front of the ponds or impoundments is best.

You might really like to join one of the great local birding clubs there, if you haven't already. Here a few of the best for local field trips: MOS- Montgomery County, Audubon Naturalist Society (an older society, not affiliated with national Audubon), DC Audubon (affiliated). You'll learn all of the best local birding sites in the DC area.
I grew up in Takoma Park, just next door to you in Silver Spring!
Happy birding!
Jed Marc

Terry O'Nolley said:
Wilson's Snipe is a good possibility, but these birds consistently flew in a straight line for 50 meters or so and then curved around to find a new hiding place.

I have had a Snipe on the pond in the pasture where my horses are. He was there in the spring and then again in the fall. They are very hard to spot since they blend in so well until they flush. Mine always flushed in the same way, flying low to another hiding spot crying harshly "snipe, snipe, snipe". They seem to stick to the same pond or location.

Listen to their call http://www.birds.cornell.edu/programs/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Wilsons_Snipe.html

Trry going back to the same place.

jedku said:
Terry,
Lilypons brings back lots of memories. A great MD birding spot. Thanks.
R-H Woodpeckers were regular at Hughes Hollow. Do you know the spot? Have you tried it? It's along the Potomac. I saw them in the trees behind the impoundments many times in 2002-2004, then I moved away from beautiful MD (sniffle). Caveat: I did not find them every time I visited, but regularly.
If you don't know Hughes, ask around locally or consult the Birder's Guide to Montgomery County, Maryland, available from the Montgomery County chapter of the MOS http://www.mdkinc.com/mccbird/MCC Site Guide.htm
Thanks for the tips! I have joined ABA and Natl. Audubon and will be joining the Montgomery MOS. I'll try to find good directions to Hughes this weekend and maybe get my seventh woodie!

I've only been living here since 1999 (California transplant) but I really like this area.

buckskin hawk said:
Mine always flushed in the same way, flying low to another hiding spot crying harshly "snipe, snipe, snipe". They seem to stick to the same pond or location.

Trry going back to the same place.
Thanks for the pointer to the call. The call at the Cornell sound was similar, but these birds called only once or twice when flushed (1 or 2 would continue calling while they flew) and the seperation between individual calls was several seconds. Also, they consistently flew very high (50+ feet) and then would fly in a wide arc to another landing spot - up to a quarter mile away. This behaviour seems inconsistent with the Wilson's Snipe accounts I have read.

Terry O'Nolley said:
Thanks for the pointer to the call. The call at the Cornell sound was similar, but these birds called only once or twice when flushed (1 or 2 would continue calling while they flew) and the seperation between individual calls was several seconds. Also, they consistently flew very high (50+ feet) and then would fly in a wide arc to another landing spot - up to a quarter mile away. This behaviour seems inconsistent with the Wilson's Snipe accounts I have read.

I wonder about a Rail then? Perhaps a Virginia Rail???

Red headed Woodpeckers!? Im in south west PA, anyone see these guys around here anywhere? I saw on the GBBC 2004, some people around here reported that they saw one or two but then did not report Red Bellied. Too many Red Bellied around here to miss them and then score the Red headed. I'd love to see one of these guys.

I have heard that red headed woodpecker populations fluctuate from year to year and have noted this in my local patch. One year they are all over and the next you can't find one.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back