• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings (1 Viewer)

Hi Graham

What type of Crossbills reside in Scotland?

Are they more likely to be Common Crossbills. I saw the one individual in a Pine Forest in Callander, Scotland. What I remember was that it was rusty coloured, and very distinctive to see.

Regards
Kathy

There are three species of Crossbill in Scotland: Common, Scottish and Parrot. The one you saw may have been Scottish, but it is possibly more likely to have been Common.

This recent thread (and the links within the thread) summarises some of the complicated aspects of crossbill identification:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99559

I got this info on Waxwings today, so be on the look out.

Our Norwegian contacts tells us lots have moved into southern Norway in the last few days and there is very little food for them, so they may head this way.

There are three species of Crossbill in Scotland: Common, Scottish and Parrot. The one you saw may have been Scottish, but it is possibly more likely to have been Common.

This recent thread (and the links within the thread) summarises some of the complicated aspects of crossbill identification:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99559

Hi Graham

Thank you for your information. I now understand that the Scottish Crossbill is rare, so the chances of having seen would have been rare too. They also reside quite far up north in Scotland too.

So the Common Crossbill is more likely to be the bird that I saw. Giving the area I saw it in the Central Belt of Scotland.

I got this info on Waxwings today, so be on the look out.

Our Norwegian contacts tells us lots have moved into southern Norway in the last few days and there is very little food for them, so they may head this way.

Hi Kas

We will be waiting with open arms in the UK. Send a few this way so I can have a good look at them.

Twilight in the garden...

Very pretty pictures. I see the shape of the plume on the Waxwings Head. ;)

Regards
Kathy

There were several flocks today on Landsort in the Stockholm Archipelago but I didn't get any pictures as they wouldn't settle. Saw my first redpolls of the autumn though.

We had a pair of waxwings reported in Finstown to day. I will be putting the extra apples out tonight!!

Ten Waxwings were reported on "B.I.N.S." yesterday as having turned up somewhere in Northern Ireland, Co. Antrim I think. Congrats!

Ten Waxwings were reported on "B.I.N.S." yesterday as having turned up somewhere in Northern Ireland, Co. Antrim I think. Congrats!

Hi Sancho.

There is a report of 100 Waxwings at Castle Caldwell Park, Beleek, Co. Fermanagh. (just heard tonight, so not sure if it was yesterday or today.)

Twite.

Hi Sancho.

There is a report of 100 Waxwings at Castle Caldwell Park, Beleek, Co. Fermanagh. (just heard tonight, so not sure if it was yesterday or today.)

Twite.

I think that's the report I referred to earlier in the thread. It was last Saturday apparently.

I think that's the report I referred to earlier in the thread. It was last Saturday apparently.

Hi Andrew.

I'm sure you're right.

When you mentioned 100 reported in Co. Fermanagh today, I thought it was Siskins. I thought I was on the (Siskin influx due to a harsh winter???) thread, and just jumped in to read the latest posts. Bugger, I was going to Fermanagh tomorrow to look for them, I've never seen one. Ah well the grass needs cutting.

Twite.

Last edited:
Hi Andrew.

I'm sure you're right.

When you mentioned 100 reported in Co. Fermanagh today, I thought it was Siskins. I thought I was on the (Siskin influx due to a harsh winter???) thread, and just jumped in to read the latest posts. Bugger, I was going to Fermanagh tomorrow to look for them, I've never seen one. Ah well the grass needs cutting.

Twite.
Don´t worry, Twite, they´ll probably turn up in the Dublin area shortly. The last influx involved a lot knocking around Bray (incredibly enough), the Botanic Gardens if I´m not mistaken (again), and some in central Dublin around Grand Canal Street area. A few Bramblings have been reporte already from various spots around the country.

Hi Sancho.

I only have myself to blame, Andrew posted the news a week earlier. If I had paid more attention to which thread I was on there might have been some chance. But it's early days yet.

Twite. aka Twit some would say T*at. ;)

Hi Sancho.

I only have myself to blame, Andrew posted the news a week earlier. If I had paid more attention to which thread I was on there might have been some chance. But it's early days yet.

Twite. aka Twit some would say T*at. ;)
Been there. Hard to keep track of what one is supposed to be following when jumping around between threads. Also Sancho´s very short attention span doesn´t help. Tell you what I´ve never seen, is a Twite. Really. Not for want of trying, around the Cliffs of Moher every year where someone told me they still breed. Probably apocryphal. If I hear even a murmur of a whisper of a rumour of Waxwings, I´ll PM you tout suite.

can someone tell what the main differences are between a bohemian
and cedar waxwings,to me they look identical.

Hi Ian

Will this link help here

http://www.mv.com/ipusers/env/waxwing.html

'The body of Bohemians is broader and greyer than their "cousins". There are also several other slight coloration differences between the two species. For instance, a rusty red patch may be seen under the tail of Bohemians.'

Difficult to see the sutle differences I am sure, but they are there to see to all bird enthusiastics.

Sancho: Hey, look forward to hearing any news about the Waxwings from your end.

Regards
Kathy

thanks kathy it certainly did,i hope i see some waxwings this winter,
i only saw a couple last year as they flew over my local pond,
any way heres fingers crossed.

Been there. Hard to keep track of what one is supposed to be following when jumping around between threads. Also Sancho´s very short attention span doesn´t help. Tell you what I´ve never seen, is a Twite. Really. Not for want of trying, around the Cliffs of Moher every year where someone told me they still breed. Probably apocryphal. If I hear even a murmur of a whisper of a rumour of Waxwings, I´ll PM you tout suite.

Hi Sancho.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. Re: Twite, the Belmullet area has a population and this could be a good bet, mabey if the Snowy Owl shows up again it would be a worthwhile trip. Have a look at this site http://www.castlebar.ie/clubs/mayo-birdwatch/ there is a twite project ongoing, this may point you in the right direction.

can someone tell what the main differences are between a bohemian
and cedar waxwings,to me they look identical.

Hi Ian.

Have a look at Google images, some great pics. of Cedar and Bohemian Waxwings there.

Twite.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back