• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa September 2020 (1 Viewer)

denisparkes

Hi
I'm starting to think through a trip to South Africa - some time around September 2020. Actual date and duration flexible though am thinking of c.3 weeks. I'm UK based. Not done many trips lately and not birded Africa beyond Morocco. In the past and also trip just last month (to Sri Lanka) I've always done solo and been pretty successful. This is great but sharing the driving, the planning, some costs etc and having some company does have an appeal. I'm quite sharp eyed but a second pair of eyes can be a massive bonus.
The South Africa trip would aim to cover several territories and therefore quite a lot of miles and would also include at least one pelagic out of Cape Town.
If any of this interests anyone - either to very actively help shape and plan the route and trip or happy to leave me doing bulk of planning but then join in enthusiastically on the trip, then please let me know
Kind regards
Denis

Hi Denis
Yes, I'd be interested in joining you for this. Maybe I'd go on to Namibia afterwards. Happy to help you plan it as you wish, although maybe it's a bit early yet.
Rob

Hi Rob
Sorry for slow reply. Yes perhaps we can discuss in more depth - feel free to email me on [email protected]
I think it wouldn't actually be September - prob closer to November. I like the idea of Namibia too but think it would be a separate trip for me. South Africa would be my first experience of Africa bar Morrocco. Drop me a line though and we can discuss.
Kind regards
Denis

Hi,

Are you looking to plan this as mainly a birding trip or a general wildlife safari? I can suggest you join us over on safaritalk.net for help planning, either way, and I have been a few times to South Africa, I have broad interests and e.g. Have done one of those pelagics. which I would definitely recommend. All my trip reports, covering all fauna but with a special interest in mammals and birds can be found on safaritalk.net. I would be happy to at least advise you and, depending on the areas you're keen to cover, might be interested in joining.

Hi thanks and sorry for slow reply.
Very much birding with mammals etc being appreciated as by-products but not specifically sought out. Probably looking - after first bit of research - at making it two separate trips broadly West and East for each

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back