• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arctic terns (1 Viewer)

GeorgeMac

Sutherland
There are good numbers of arctic terns nesting on Brora beach in the Highlands this year, most I've seen for a long long time. Now if the storms will just stay away for a month!

Attachments

• tern.jpg
    tern.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 43
Look out for colour-ringed birds please! The large colony on Anglesey Skerries was abandoned this year (due to a pair of Peregrines settling on the islands) and RSPB have an appeal out for any info on where they might have gone :t:

Thanks for the update N, I'll get on it. I did see ringed birds last week, but paid no attention to them. I'll head along there tomorrow and try to get some pics. I've also found a place with a few little terns.

The terns have left the foreshore and are nesting now so I won't be able to get any photos of ringed birds until the chicks hatch and leave the nests and the birds start congregating on the foreshore again.

One interesting observation. The terns have always nested on the sand here for as far back as I can remember. Two years ago a storm totally wiped out all their nests and this year they are not nesting on the sand, they're up in the dunes among the grass. They're not stupid these birds, they have problem solving intelligence.

Attachments

• nestingterns.jpg
    nestingterns.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 30
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back