• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How close in performance is a Nikon 7x35 E (C) Criterion to a current Action Extreme? (1 Viewer)

yarrellii

Supporter
So, that's the question, for those who have tried them.

I have had the Nikon Action Extreme 7x35 in the past and absolutely loved the performance. Actually, I regret selling them, since I got them for peanuts. It was heavy and bulky (impossible to single-hand it), but the image was so crisp, wide, bright and with amazing DOF. Yes the edge performance was poor, but then it has a 9,3 º FOV.

So, the question is: I know there is no EII 7x35, but I have read very good impressions of the 7x35 E (C) Criterion with the latest multi-coating, where the only reservation appeared to be the somewhat limited FOV of 7,3.

My interest lies especially on sharpness, brightness and contrast, granted the FOV is obviously way narrower. I remember the AE being pretty sharp on axis, but I don't have it anymore. Has anyone used both an has first-hand experience?

On the other hand. I currently have a Fujinon 7x50 FMT, a different beast altogether, I know, but it shares the exact same 7,3º FOV as the Nikon E (C). I have found it to be adequate on the Fujinon, and not as bad as I had anticipated just from reading it on paper. I use the Fujinon basically for astronomy, and the 7,3º FOV delivers very pleasurable views, as so does it during the daytime when I use it for casual glances through the window without feeling a tunnel-like view. Will there be a major difference in AFOV between the Nikon E (C) and the Fujinon, because the latter is a x50?
Thank you in advance.

EDIT:
Currently one can find the AE for less than half of the cost of a decent copy of the E (C).

Last edited:
Hi,

I have not looked through a 7x35 E but if you find a multicoated sample at a good price and decide not to buy it, I might be interested ;-)

From a few old threads on here and CN, I'd say the center sharpness should be at least as good as the action extreme and the edge performance quite a bit better (of course 2 degrees less tfov helps with achieving this).

So if you like the view through your FMT and want sth close in a lighter and and CF package, the E might be a good idea. And if you don't like it, send me a message...

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=299536
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/64285-ordered-the-nikon-7x35-e-today/

Joachim

Joachim, thanks for all the info. I had a pair of Nikon E (C), 12x40, and the view was indeed great, sharp and crisp (I've actually never tried an "old" E without the latest coatings). And I've used the 7x35 AE, but never had the chance to look through a 7x35 E (C), so it's a bit of a gamble. The FOV of the 7x50 FMT had been a huge surprise, I don't find it particularly narrow (and I'm used to pretty widefield binoculars). Hence my doubts
- Can the likely better edge performance and overall quality make up for the wide field and ruggedness of the AE?
- Is it still worth a +2 times higher price?

The old and known decisions :)

I have a multi-coated 7x35 E, or rather I have still have the parts for one. I exchanged its objectives with an 8x30 E to make a 6x30 E and a 9x35 E. IMO the 7x35 is the weakest of the E types optically because it uses a simple eyepiece of indifferent quality combined with an unusually fast f3.6 objective lens. In my experience the best of the old Nikon 7x35s are the original Action Series and, a little better, its partly multi-coated twin the Gold Sentinel Series. Both have 9.3º fields and are optically superior to the 7x35 E in the field center.

Henry, thanks. This is really interesting. I do remember reading (in awe) about your "creations"; both a 6x30 E and a 9x35 sound really intriguing to say the least.
Interesting to learn that you value the 7x35 as the less interesting of the E bunch.
Did you have the chance to try a current 7x35 Action Extreme to compare it with previous wide angle 7x35?
Thanks again.

I wasn't at all impressed with the last inexpensive Nikon Porro I tried in a store a few years ago, can't remember now whether it was an Aculon or Action Extreme. I recall the prisms (and probably the plastic aspheric eyepiece element) were totally uncoated. The Action I and Gold Sentinels from the mid to late 1980's were gems, optically superior IMO to the E types (except for eye relief) even though much cheaper. I'd search for a Gold Sentinel 7x35.

Henry, thank you for the tip. I've only seen the Gold Sentinels referenced around here, never had one in my hands. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I once compared the Aculon (the new name for the Action) and the Action Extreme and found the latter to be better, not only optically (not by that much), but especially in ergonomics and eyerelief. The Aculon were so short that the eyepieces got all fogged up from the eye. Thanks again!

Those Golds are nice, solid, classic bins. Bought for both my dad and brother, and well appreciated. I believe 8x30s.

I can confirm that the 7x35 Gold Sentinel are amazing compared to the modern 7x35 Action extreme. Centre sharpness on the Gold Sentinels is extremely good. I'm lucky enough to own Gold sentinel in both 7x35 and 8x35 both of them are as sharp as my Swarovski 8x32 el ( 1st generation ).
The DOF on the 7x35 is incredible I can often go for a walk with them and don't have to touch the focus wheel even though I'm viewing birds at close, mid and far distance. Combine this with the huge 9.3 FOV and they really are a pleasure to use.
I believe the Gold Sentinel were only made for 3-4 years so they are something of a rarity but definitely worth seeking out.
If you can find a good pair they are worth paying good money for.

I have a 10X50 Gold sentinel, it is in for collimation service, I paid less than $70. It is an excellent glass, one needs get used to the fast focus and the tight ER, but what a view at 6.5 degrees.
The 8X35s comes up once in a while on the bay, but I have never seen a 7X35.

I had the old 7x35E single coated version (not "C") in perfect condition. An extremely good binoculars, very clear on the edges, without chromatic aberrations, even did not have a modern coating. A pair of binoculars with an excellent construction and ergonomics, a jewel!nikon E 7x35.jpgnikon 7x35.jpg

Correction, those were 8x35 GS's I got for bro and Dad. Just looked through one of them, and they were as good as I remember.

I have an extra pair of 7X35 Nikon "E" with criterion coatings if anybody is looking. They have one small speck on one of the prisms that doesn't affect the view and has stayed the same size for four years so may just be a flake of dust?

Attachments

• IMG_5388.jpg
    IMG_5388.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5385.jpg
    IMG_5385.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5384.jpg
    IMG_5384.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 43
I have an extra pair of 7X35 Nikon "E" with criterion coatings if anybody is looking. They have one small speck on one of the prisms that doesn't affect the view and has stayed the same size for four years so may just be a flake of dust?
Ohh, just sent you a message. Thanks :)

Hi Mikbul,

I had just posted a wanted ad for this model so there maybe a deal to be done.

I have a few questions.

Does this pair have the green tint coating on the lenses, purple / red or clear?

A little difficult to tell from the photos on my phone. How would you rate the condition on a scale of 1 to 10?

…and finally how much are you looking for this pair ?

Best regards

Jason.

Ok, so I missed the E 7x35 Cs above.

I went searching and have just received a mint pair of Nikon E 7x35 (pre C) from a Japan auction site. No case and missing one inside eyepiece cap, but otherwise absolutely perfect condition for US$100.

Will need to find some new eyecups as the current ones have hardened and are hard to fold down - any links to replacements will be gratefully received.

No case isn't an issue as the humidity here means everything kept in a dry cabinet and our bins are used rather than collected.

Sitting looking at the Singaporean tropical jungle behind the house this morning my wife put aside her trusty Monarch 7s 10x and declared she loved the new bins as she spotted a cattle egret, bee eater, straw headed bulbul, and various parakeets - 7x is easy to love. With plenty of daylight a winner.

This household is belatedly falling in love with porros having missed them the first time around. I also ordered new EII 8x30 (they are like bright shiny jewels) and my son has Opticron SRGA 8x30s. The lovely view, nice and bright and comfortable to hold are winning. I don't go birding in the rain - it comes down very heavy here - you don't see anything but stair rods.

As an aside there is lots written about eye relief and placement that are generalisations but it seems to me that it is very personal to eye shape and actual prescription. Perhaps not worth discounting one type of binocular, especially porros, until they have tried them for half an hour.

When we started birding ten years ago I could have purchased brand new EII/SEs, but of course I knew no better and got some Nikon roof 8x36 Monarch ATBs (for I guess not much less than EIIs) and then Leica UV 7x42s and M7s for a lot more. Honestly I wouldn't have purchased the roofs had I not discounted porros as out of date and superseded - BIG mistake!

Personally, my eyesight is really far sighted with deep set eyes, the family have 20 20 and very different face shapes. I can't get on with 7x42 Ultravids but find EIIs easier to look through without blackouts.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back