• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please Id this Finch-like bird for a friend (1 Viewer)

nikovich

I haven't a clue what this little guy is - taken in Canada this week.

Attachments

• YellowBird1.jpg
    YellowBird1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 171
  • YellowBird3.jpg
    YellowBird3.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 123
I'd say possibly a female American Goldfinch, although something is making me skeptical of this guess for some reason. Either way, that is my best guess.

The only thing I can come up with is either an Oriole (Baltimore) or a Western Tanager.
In pic 1 bill looks oddly thick based, a photographic effect I suppose. In pic 2 I get more Orilole feel.
JanJ

thanks guys - it's colouring is abit strage for an American Goldfinch ..but it's that time of year now where the Fall plumage takes over..so you could be spot on.

I'd go for Western Tanager myself - looks altogether too thick-set for a Goldfinch.

I say American Goldfinch. It seems plump like a goldfinch to me.
But just in case I would like to ask Nikovich what part of Canada you live in?

It has a noticably pink bill in the first picture. This is a bad sign for a Baltimore Oriole. That is why I said Am Goldfinch. Looking at it, if the person is in Alberta, Western Tanager wouldn't be a bad guess either since the bill seems bicolored.

I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada - and so is the guy that took that photo .
In looking more closely the bill is too short to be a BO and is more finch-like .
So, I'd bet it was a Fall Plumage Female American Goldfinch.
thanks for all your input guys.
This place is the best.

nikovich said:
I haven't a clue what this little guy is - taken in Canada this week.

It isn't an oriole, for the bill is too short and squat. It' either a female Goldfinch or a female western tanager. The gray bill suggests a Goldfinch, but it depends on the size of the bird, which is hard to judge from the picture. Compared to the leaves the bird looks smallish, so I'd go with Goldfinch.

Alan

?? ???? ???????

Why does the Unicode thingy not work?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back