• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (1 Viewer)

Grrr indeed! I’m tempted to do a cricket-style ‘Retired hurt’:C
With only ten records in Haute Savoie (and six of those were caught at a mountain pass ringing station:eek!:) I’ll be ‘over la lune‘ if I manage one here!

Richard Hi,

It might be very interesting to all parties regarding the species of migrants found at these mountain pass ringing stations.
I for one would be most interested indeed. :t:

Cheers

Richard Hi,

It might be very interesting to all parties regarding the species of migrants found at these mountain pass ringing stations.
I for one would be most interested indeed. :t:

Cheers

I’ll try and get summaries for the last few autumns if I can.
The place that had the YBWs for example is on the Swiss/Haute Savoie border at 1920m altitude, they trap during the night as well as daytime (good raptor passage, eg 266 Common Kestrels through two days ago). Another species that is super rare here that they find in the nets is Icterine Warbler, eg in 2018 none were recorded in H Savoie but 23 were caught there-all of which continued south in H - S airspace of course :eek!:

I’ll try and get summaries for the last few autumns if I can.
The place that had the YBWs for example is on the Swiss/Haute Savoie border at 1920m altitude, they trap during the night as well as daytime (good raptor passage, eg 266 Common Kestrels through two days ago). Another species that is super rare here that they find in the nets is Icterine Warbler, eg in 2018 none were recorded in H Savoie but 23 were caught there-all of which continued south in H - S airspace of course :eek!:

Amazing how they’re concentrated through the “gap” Richard, presume at c2000m there’s still enough cover, I seem to recall that the tree line in the alps is circa 11,000’ ? :t:

Trying to keep a tenuous link to the Garden/Yard nature of this thread;), I see they had the first two Brambling through the Col yesterday so hopefully they’ll be around the garden here soon ( first week ofOctober is typical here).
There’s quite a bit of cover ( juniper mostly?) as you can see from the attached photo but the warblers are night flying and not using the habitat. I have never seen net poles as tall as those they use, (the vertical pale lines in the photo):
https://www.vogelwarte.ch/assets/co.../cache/page_beringung__bretolet_w989_h660.jpg

Trying to keep a tenuous link to the Garden/Yard nature of this thread;), I see they had the first two Brambling through the Col yesterday so hopefully they’ll be around the garden here soon ( first week ofOctober is typical here).
There’s quite a bit of cover ( juniper mostly?) as you can see from the attached photo but the warblers are night flying and not using the habitat. I have never seen net poles as tall as those they use, (the vertical pale lines in the photo):
https://www.vogelwarte.ch/assets/co.../cache/page_beringung__bretolet_w989_h660.jpg

Well I suppose the ringing station is a “temporary” garden for some and by the sounds of it, a list somewhat “formidable”. :eek!: :t:

Well I suppose the ringing station is a “temporary” garden for some and by the sounds of it, a list somewhat “formidable”. :eek!: :t:

Yes, I think even Ryan and Jos would be looking over their shoulders!
There is a little garden by the accommodation but all I saw in it was some rather skimpy underwear on the washing line- enough to turn my hair grey, oh hang on, it already is:-C

Yes, I think even Ryan and Jos would be looking over their shoulders!
There is a little garden by the accommodation but all I saw in it was some rather skimpy underwear on the washing line- enough to turn my hair grey, oh hang on, it already is:-C

Great news Richard especially underwear through 10x40’s :-O
However! on a more serious note...would you know if the ringing station is lit at night?

Cheers :t:

Congrats on the YBW, Ken!

Peregrine over here yesterday - only the second of the year.

Cheers H, Peregrine up until a couple of years ago was less than annual, with this year’s “extra” coverage I’ve ramped up seven sightings, however I’ve still yet to join the Snipe club! :-C

October 4th.

79. Brambling - heard only, but no doubts.

Quite a nice session this morning, with various bits and pieces going over and adding up to 34 species. Nicely isolated, unlike the crowds at various places down the east coast and elsewhere I expect. Saw a shocking photo of a crowd at the Kilnsea bluetail.

Steve

And Richard Prior - I hope the rain and floods have not affected your area too badly. Some shocking scenes on UK news.

Last edited:
October 4th.

79. Brambling - heard only, but no doubts.

Quite a nice session this morning, with various bits and pieces going over and adding up to 34 species. Nicely isolated, unlike the crowds at various places down the east coast and elsewhere I expect. Saw a shocking photo of a crowd at the Kilnsea bluetail.

Steve

And Richard Prior - I hope the rain and floods have not affected your area too badly. Some shocking scenes on UK news.

Cheers Steve - We have been lucky up here, these tragic flash flood episodes are becoming more and more frequent each autumn in the S of France, I’m glad we’re a good way above the river though as it’s roaring away today!
Been listening out for Brambling too but none so far, a flock of c20 White Wag just now was unusual. Otherwise it’s just the boring old Golden Eagle, Lammergeier and Griffon Vultures cruising over the snowy slopes, the latter are already leaving for the south after their summer holidays with the sheep;).
Keep safe everyone, a new bird isn’t worth damaging your lungs for ( or worse).

A walk out to the car this morning produced an immediate flock of 50+ Blue Jays, a Purple Finch, and a

118. Pine Siskin

as flyovers in about a minute's time! I suspect it was a huge flight. Glad to get the siskin, though, and perhaps the first of many.

A walk out to the car this morning produced an immediate flock of 50+ Blue Jays, a Purple Finch, and a

118. Pine Siskin

as flyovers in about a minute's time! I suspect it was a huge flight. Glad to get the siskin, though, and perhaps the first of many.

God you're good! How the hell can you be that exact with the Pine Siskins? I am green with jealousy bm!

God you're good! How the hell can you be that exact with the Pine Siskins? I am green with jealousy bm!

There was only one Pine Siskin, we shall have to accept that Birdmeister can be accurate with numbers that can be counted on the fingers on one hand 😂
The 118 number is the year list 👍

There was only one Pine Siskin, we shall have to accept that Birdmeister can be accurate with numbers that can be counted on the fingers on one hand 😂

Twenty is my limit (in summer when barefoot;))
Limited to 10 now I’m back in my winter wooly socks:C

Yes indeed, KC! I'd be just as thrilled as you if I had 118 siskins!

This morning's flight didn't bring any new species, but the numbers were great. Many finches were flying past, with 22 Purple Finches and 17 Pine Siskins among goldfinches and unidentified blurs. Blue Jays stole the show, with 1176 in about 100 minutes! 200+ Cedar Waxwings entertained, as well as two VERY high White-breasted Nuthatches cruising southwest.

A great time of year, for sure.

Yes, well done halftwo :t:

For the second time this year heard a small Crossbill flock passing over nearby. Probably should start making an effort first things in the mornings around about now to try and pick up on the late autumn passage of thrushes and skylark etc coming in

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back