• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phoenix, Arizona, USA Sept 26th 2020 (1 Viewer)

uk2usa

Good evening,

Had a very enjoyable day exploring the Rio Salado reserve in Central Phoenix yesterday.
Having some trouble with these IDs though. Any help would be gratefully received.
I think 4 and 5 are the same.

Attachments

• Unknown 1 resize.jpg
    Unknown 1 resize.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Unknown 2 resize.jpg
    Unknown 2 resize.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 89
  • Unknown 3 resize.jpg
    Unknown 3 resize.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Unknown 4 resized.jpg
    Unknown 4 resized.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Unknown 5 resized.jpg
    Unknown 5 resized.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 60
1 female Black-throated Gray Warbler

4 & 5 gnatcatchers, possibly Blue-gray as the tail does not appear to be graduated?

I appreciate the help - can't believe I did not spot #1 in the guide when I was going through it last night! Stood out like a sore thumb when I knew what to look for!

#2 is an awful image, so will not be surprised if no ID is forthcoming.

#3 - I struggle with this one... one of my downfalls is my color blindness, which I really notice when trying to ID birds... am I totally off-base to think that this is a buff-breasted flycatcher?

Thanks again.

#3 - I struggle with this one... one of my downfalls is my color blindness, which I really notice when trying to ID birds... am I totally off-base to think that this is a buff-breasted flycatcher?
No orangey tones on it, so I guess that can be discounted; the breast is sort of pale greeny-yellow-buff, i.e., rather anonymous :-O. My best guess an Empidonax moving through on migration from further north - lots of options, no easy solutions!

Thank you - it is good to have a set of functional eyes confirm colors for me :), even if the result is ambiguous!
Thanks again Nutcracker!

Agree with BT Grey warbler for #1 and Blue-grey Gnatcatcher for #4.

I get a Black-tailed Gnatcatcher feel for #5 rather than Blue-grey.

The best I can do on #3 is empid sp. I don't know the western empids.

No guess on #2. I wanted to consider immature Verdin, but the tail is wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back