• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parakeet (1 Viewer)

Steve.Jonesy

Took this in Mauritius in 2017
Black River Gorges NP
Can you advise what type of Parakeet?
Many thanks
Steve

Attachments

• B2D3A906-547C-43A0-8119-3D2EBF3D12FE.jpg
    B2D3A906-547C-43A0-8119-3D2EBF3D12FE.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 50
  • DA7A6004-CBAC-47E7-8749-8A52B23669E7.jpg
    DA7A6004-CBAC-47E7-8749-8A52B23669E7.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 26
I don't know echo parakeet but from the description this looks more like ring-necked to me. If it were female echo it would have an all dark bill and darker plumage I think (sounds like darker emerald green is a feature of both sexes)

Edit: we can see the tail is heavily abraded and I find it difficult to judge its length

I do not know to which extent this is true, but it seems the Echo images shows a bird with not only blacker lower mandible but also with darker feathering immediately around the lower mandible. If this is true, then your images should also show Echo.

Niels

I do not know to which extent this is true, but it seems the Echo images shows a bird with not only blacker lower mandible but also with darker feathering immediately around the lower mandible. If this is true, then your images should also show Echo.

Niels

Well if it's female it's definitely not echo for the reasons I said. If it's male, it's clearly sub adult as there's no evidence of the rings. The bills of male echo and ring-neck are indistinguishable (see e.g. Ebird photos or step outside my house and look up). As far as I know, that leaves colour, relative proportions and tail length. I've commented on 2 of those above. I'm not sure we can tell proportions on a single bird with major feather wear like this but I've never seen echo as I said.

Well if it's female it's definitely not echo for the reasons I said. If it's male, it's clearly sub adult as there's no evidence of the rings. The bills of male echo and ring-neck are indistinguishable (see e.g. Ebird photos or step outside my house and look up). As far as I know, that leaves colour, relative proportions and tail length. I've commented on 2 of those above. I'm not sure we can tell proportions on a single bird with major feather wear like this but I've never seen echo as I said.

One reason I started looking at images was that I see ring-necked every day, and this one just looked much darker in the are of lower mandible and surroundings.

Niels

One reason I started looking at images was that I see ring-necked every day, and this one just looked much darker in the are of lower mandible and surroundings.

Niels

I tend to agree. If the dark isn't a photographic artefact then this seems quite different to the numerous Ring-necked I get in my garden & see everywhere I go, so though I have no experience of Echo, I can't see why this couldn't be a first year male.

Tricky, and I've probably seen more Echoes than most, but I think it's probably a female RNP that has been incubating in a tree cavity, which would explain the heavily abraded tail feathers and apparently too-short tail. It does look quite short-winged though, which would be a point in favour of Echo.

It's a worn bird, and if the colours are true then it's certainly a Ring-necked, as Echoes are a darker, mossier green, and don't tend to wear to the pale yellower hues seen in Ring-necks; however, it feels like either the colour balance of the image or the lighting is a little odd. The undertail in an Echo is a fairly dull, smoky olive-yellow, even in adult males, but often a much brighter yellow, as here, in RNP.

We can rule out a juvenile or female Echo from the red bill, and adult male from the lack of a clear neck ring. The only Echo plumage that fits, therefore, would be an immature male - though in my experience the bill tends to be a dull red in these birds, rather than the brighter crimson on this bird. See attached photo, showing a group including males, females and an immature male.

Female Echoes show the dusky plumage on the face, but it is not evident in males.

One other observation: the feet appear to be quite pinkish - I can't find a photo of an Echo with anything other than blueish grey feet, but there seems to be more variation in this regard, at least in online photos, in RNP.

Either way, it has provided a pleasant diversion from work looking through old photos of Echo Parakeets...

Attachments

• Echoes 20101212.jpg
    Echoes 20101212.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 31
Richard, great to see such a photo of this parakeet. Could I ask you to upload this photo to the gallery here in Birdforum?

thanks
Niels

Richard, great to see such a photo of this parakeet. Could I ask you to upload this photo to the gallery here in Birdforum?

thanks
Niels

Yes cool. I saw there was quite a bit on Wikipedia about taxonomy etc. What's feeling on distinctness now: anyone know if ecology differs, any sign of interbreeding w ring-necks etc?

IIRC, latest tree on wikipedia has ring-neck as paraphyletic, with ?abyssinian ring-neck and echo as sisters embedded in the larger ring-neck tree.

...Think I read it might have diverged ~3+M years ago, which would make it older than things like Iberian green woodpecker.

Parakeet continued

Thanks Richard
Very informative.
The Echo’s in your pic also don’t seem to have the orange/yellow ring around the eye!
My guide to birds of the Indian Ocean islands only mentions two. I guess I am resigned to it being a RNP!
Thanks all for thoughts though
Steve

Attachments

• 46FF051E-0B95-4D52-B906-AC434043DD47.jpeg
    46FF051E-0B95-4D52-B906-AC434043DD47.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1
  • D9D37555-FC33-4D39-B66F-49549FBA8D33.jpeg
    D9D37555-FC33-4D39-B66F-49549FBA8D33.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back