• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctuid(?), July, Devon (2 Viewers)

LowellMills

Is this your Sanderling?
Moth guide hasn't been successfully used to ID this one, suppose it might be a variable species or just overlooked it. Anyone?

Moth is on my gf's Smiley Face tshirt if you're wondering what the background is.

Attachments

• IMG_20140722_230157.jpg
    IMG_20140722_230157.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20140722_230228.jpg
    IMG_20140722_230228.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 48
Clover sp?

A migrant Marbled Clover wouldn't be out of the Q would it or a Shoulder-striped?

Was that dark line obvious from all angles or is it exagerrated from this position?

Last edited:
Firstly, I don't suppose you have a lateral photo of the moth?

Looking at its structure I would suggest that it isn't even a noctuid (which might account for you not being able to find it).

To me it looks more like a notodontid and perhaps a Coxcomb Prominent - but that's just a guess (I've struggled to find an image from the same angle).

Firstly, I don't suppose you have a lateral photo of the moth?

Looking at its structure I would suggest that it isn't even a noctuid (which might account for you not being able to find it).

To me it looks more like a notodontid and perhaps a Coxcomb Prominent - but that's just a guess (I've struggled to find an image from the same angle).

That is a remarkably good call young man!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back