• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding San Gerado de Dota Without a Vehicle (1 Viewer)

Les Shulman

Birding San Gerardo de Dota Without a Vehicle

In March, 2021, without a vehicle, I will be staying at Miriam's Quetzals/Cabins for two weeks and Paraiso Quetzal Lodge for three nights. I really want to get to know many of the fairly common species very well. Rarities will not be a focus of mine.

While at Miriam's I plan to do most of my birding on Miriam's trails.
Once I determine which species I might be missing experiencing there, I'll head down on day trip(s) by taxi to bird perhaps at Savegre Lodge, Suenos del Bosque, and or the waterfall trail. Savegre charges $10 a day for use of their trails and Suenos del Bosque charges around $7.00.

Except perhaps to hire a guide a Miriam's to go into the farm country to try to locate the resplendent quetzals, I do not plan on going out with any other guides.

Any suggestions of which trails in the valley sans car to utilize would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Les,
We have birded the area without a car a few times. I've walked the main road the length of the valley and have seen all the endemics and pretty well everything else without having to hit any of the trails. It might not be as “nice” as the trails due to the occasional traffic but its still ok. If you're up for it you could bird down the road then grab a cab (or a lift) back up to Miriam's at the end of the day.
I've been visiting the valley for over 15 years and every Quetzal I've seen but two has been seen on the road anywhere between Miriam's and the falls. As well, any little side road that isn't private property will also be good.

I've actually seen Quetzals at Miriam's feeders. One did bring his own avocado but still, startling to see. Miriam and her staff usually have a handle on where they are hanging out.
It being March they will be nesting or building their nests (some alongside the road) to coincide with the fruiting trees. Folks in the valley usually know where the nests are so you can ask around. I have noticed that some of the regular nests have now been cordoned off so I suspect there's been some inconsiderate behaviour going on to warrant it.
I really like Savegre and Providencia for birding. It is beautiful and a great place to pack in a lot of endemics.
Cheers,
Bryan

Thanks Bryan.

I really like the idea of birding the main road going down into the valley and the public side roads off of it.
I wasn't sure if it was feasible but now that I know that is I'll be sure to try it out.

It would be a pity to miss Volcano Junco on the 'communication tower trail' which is a short car ride away but you won't see it in the valley AFAIK. Walk until you get to the buildings on the trail, they're on the ground and very easy to see. Timberline Wren is there as well but we didn't see it.

Also, the 'Providencia' Road has some very good birding and is a good site for Wrenthrush. You could perhaps get a lift or take a taxi one way and take all day walking / birding back.

If you get to Savegra early, you can just walk in and unless you actually volunteer to pay by going in to the restaurant /shop, I doubt they will even notice you. It gets pretty chilly at night and in the early mornings so be aware of that.

Take a flask with you and enjoy an al fresco coffee when you need a rest.

Edit: I've attached a map from the book if you don't have it, which shows the two trails.

Attachments

• rsz_p2160203.jpg
    rsz_p2160203.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Les,

I would definitely second Andy's recommendation of giving the communication Tower road a go. I've heard probably dozens of Timberline Wren there but have only seen it twice and each time for the briefest of seconds, crafty buggers! Maybe someday I'll get a decent photo.

The Providencia road is also good for the Costa Rican Pygmy Owl and the Un-spotted Saw-Whet Owl. I've seen both elsewhere but they are easier to find there.

Miriam might be able to set you up with a guide with a car for either Providencia or Tower road. As you can see from Andys map they are in opposite directions from the entrance to Savegre Valley.
Like Andy I always just sort of wandered in the Savegre grounds and availed myself of the trails. Never knew till you started this thread that paying for the privilege was a thing. I would usually end up having lunch in the restaurant afterwards so theres that.
Noel Ureña tells me they are now starting to require wristbands so the innocent accidental hike may be a thing of the past.
Cheers,
Bryan

Thanks Andy and Bryan.

Liliana, Miriam's daughter, had told me that she may be able to ( I think, as my Spanish is very spotty) provide someone with a vehicle to take me to places I'd be interested in birding at.

The communication tower road and Providencia Road sound very doable, one way or another.

Have either of you been successful in locating the silvery-throated jay?

Saludos,
Les

Les,
No worries,
As I recall I saw a small family group once up in Savegre and once near Villa Mills. Its about 20ish miles further south of the tower road. Can't recall precisely where though.
Cheers,
Bryan

I had read that the jays were mostly misses without that many hits as they seem to be rare and very localized.

That's okay though, as I'll be a real happy camper anyways if I get daily doses of long-tailed silky flycatchers, acorn woodpeckers, and flame-colored tanagers along with, hopefully, an occasional experiencing of golden-browed chlorophonias, flame-throated warblers, collared redstarts, spangle-cheeked tanagers, emerald toucanets, rufous-browed peppershrikes, fiery-throated hummingbirds, and swallow-tailed kites.

Last edited:
Les,
You will get most of those guys up there and more. The Peppershrikes will be more problematic but still very doable. One good endemic to look for is the Yellow-winged Vireo. I have seen them on the road but also very near Miriam's feeder which by the way is one of the best in the whole valley.
Keep an eye and ear out for the sound of mobbing Fiery-throated Hummingbirds. They for some reason love to mob Costa Rican Pygmy Owls. So far its how I've found these diminutive And secretive Owls.
If you want to rattle through a goodly list of endemics then its hard to beat Savegre valley.

All this talk about the place has me hankering to get back up there.
Cheers,
Bryan

I had read that the jays were mostly misses without that many hits as they seem to be rare and very localized.

That's okay though, as I'll be a real happy camper anyways if I get daily doses of long-tailed silky flycatchers, acorn woodpeckers, and flame-colored tanagers along with, hopefully, an occasional experiencing of golden-browed chlorophonias, flame-throated warblers, collared redstarts, spangle-cheeked tanagers, emerald toucanets, rufous-browed peppershrikes, fiery-throated hummingbirds, and swallow-tailed kites.

Here's a bit of foreplay for you.

Attachments

• DSC_3282.jpg
    DSC_3282.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Acorn Woodpecker.jpg
    Acorn Woodpecker.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_3278.jpg
    DSC_3278.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_3835.jpg
    DSC_3835.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Flame-throated Warbler (3).jpg
    Flame-throated Warbler (3).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 36
And a few more, Savegre is very good for photo ops.

Attachments

• DSC_1150.jpg
    DSC_1150.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Volcano Junco.jpg
    Volcano Junco.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Yellow-bellied Siskin.jpg
    Yellow-bellied Siskin.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 37
  • Flame-coloured Tanager.jpg
    Flame-coloured Tanager.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Yellow-browed Chlorophonia.jpg
    Yellow-browed Chlorophonia.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 33
Quetzals where everywhere, we just got lucky with the timing I guess.

Attachments

• Collared Whitestart.jpg
    Collared Whitestart.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Long-tailed Silky Flycatcher.jpg
    Long-tailed Silky Flycatcher.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Blue-throated Toucan.jpg
    Blue-throated Toucan.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Resplendent Quetzal.jpg
    Resplendent Quetzal.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_3639.jpg
    DSC_3639.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 31
Some really nice teasing there Andy and a good one on the Siskin. So far I've only seen it once and have had no luck with photos of em.

In the spirit of show and tell heres a few paintings I whipped up of some of the endemics that can be found up there. Costa Rican Pygmy Owl, Volcano Hummingbird and its current iterations, the iconic Fiery-billed Hummingbird, Sooty-capped Chlorospingus and Yellow-thighed finch, Hopefully Les gets an up close and personal view of these guys.
Cheers,
Bryan

Attachments

• F2944A04-589F-4E8B-AEA8-57C2923C0B7D.jpeg
    F2944A04-589F-4E8B-AEA8-57C2923C0B7D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • BF575E3F-491E-41D7-839A-B8820EBBEBB2.jpeg
    BF575E3F-491E-41D7-839A-B8820EBBEBB2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 2E391680-9CDE-49F8-927A-37BC8398B3E9.jpeg
    2E391680-9CDE-49F8-927A-37BC8398B3E9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • DFCAE7E8-0538-4752-BE31-AA8EA2286CA1.jpeg
    DFCAE7E8-0538-4752-BE31-AA8EA2286CA1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • 3C525171-7AAE-4EDF-9DAB-DEFDF60B43AA.jpg
    3C525171-7AAE-4EDF-9DAB-DEFDF60B43AA.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks Andy and Bryan for your verbal/pictorial feedback and encouragement.

Thus, I've just increased my extended stay there by another two days, with my first two days out of 19 being at Cabinas el Quetzal which is a little lower in the valley-about 2 kilometers from Savegre.

I, too, would love to see the yellow-bellied siskin and so many other of the specialty birds/endemics (of course, including spotted wood-quails and dusky nightjars) that occur there which I failed to mention before.

My only experience in birding in Costa Rica are two extended visits to Sarapiqui (primarily at Chilamate Rainforest Eco Retreat) and one for mid-elevation birding at Albergue de Socorro near San Miguel.
I'll be returning again to Chilamate in 2022 plus a real neat and unique place in Horquetas, Pierella Ecological Garden.

I live in the state of Michoacán/Central Western Mexico and get to do mountain birding once a year in Mazamitla, Jalisco, but there is very little overlap to what I'll be experiencing in San Gerardo de Dota, other than primarily for the acorn woodpeckers, flame-colored tanagers, and a different species of silky flycatchers.

Saludos,
Les

Les,
Miriam's cabins down the hill have a family of Spotted Wood Quail that take dust baths every day just behind the cabins.
I've never seen the Dusky NightJar, painted it but have never seen one.
Western central Mexico? I lived on that coast for almost two years and never once went up into the mountains to see the Tufted Jay. Big regret of mine.
Looks like you're sorted for stuff to do on this trip to CR.
If you don't mind perhaps once you've had some time after your visit there you could post a casual and mini trip report in this thread.
I'm always curious how folks birding trips worked out for them.
Cheers,
Bryan

Hi,
A practical non-bird question about San Gerardo de Dota:

In paying for taxis, restaurants, and mini-markets would colons be required or could one pay with $U.S.
and receive any change back in colons?
If colons are required, I'd try to get them at the bank at the San Jose airport.

Now a bird question:

Ever get any good looks at barred parakeets or sulphur-winged parakeets?

Saludos,
Les

Last edited:
I usually have paid in Colones there, however Savegre valley being the international destination it is they'll probably be ok with US dollars.
Cheers,
Bryan

Les,
Missed your birdy question. I've not seen the Barred Parakeet and don't know a lot about them. The Sulpher-winged Parakeet on the other hand are pretty common (we see them flying by the apt)
They're noisy group flyers and you won't miss them if they do show up.

They love Guava and Apples so if you spot a tree with ripe fruit you may luck out getting close.
Cheers,
Bryan.
Heres my painting of the Sulpher-winged.

Attachments

• E8544954-7958-4BC9-9356-FD9C65DDF80F.jpeg
    E8544954-7958-4BC9-9356-FD9C65DDF80F.jpeg
    976 KB · Views: 34
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back