• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hotels near Albufera, Mallorca (1 Viewer)

Mark A Spedding

Hello there,

I intend coming to Mallorca with my wife and (by that point) 10 month old baby. I would like to stay very close (walking distance) from Albufera. As my wife is very much a non-birder, and I don't intend hiring a car, I would like to stay as close as possible to the reserve to maximise the birding opportunities that come my way.
Could anyone recommend a nice hotel within waling distance of Albufera, I was thinking all-inclusive, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

Hello there,

I intend coming to Mallorca with my wife and (by that point) 10 month old baby. I would like to stay very close (walking distance) from Albufera. As my wife is very much a non-birder, and I don't intend hiring a car, I would like to stay as close as possible to the reserve to maximise the birding opportunities that come my way.
Could anyone recommend a nice hotel within waling distance of Albufera, I was thinking all-inclusive, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

Hi Mark

I have never visited Mallorca as such, but I have been to Menorca a few times over the years. These are just a few pointers to help you on your way...if this helps you. By the way, we had no hire car on our holiday.

Organised Trips: A couple of years ago, we visited the 'one' local' Reserve on the East coast of Menorca. The Reserve guide was only too happy too pick us up from outside our hotel, and drop us off at the hotel at the end of the trip. The whole trip started early in the morning and finished in the middle of the day (4 hours or so)

Weatherwise: The weather got very hot in the middle of the day and walking becomes a bit unbearable in the heat. So you are better to consider these things in your timetable. Either take a early morning stroll or one later in the evening. All wildlife hides in the heat, so any sightings come a little thin on the ground.

So...if I where you I would see about getting a comfortable hotel to stay closeby, and arrange at least one 'staged' visit to the Reserve by asking the Hotel if they can lay on a hire car for you. The other option is to ask the hotel if they could ring up the Reserve and ask for you to be picked up.

We where charged 35 euros each for the 4 hours trip we had, and it just the best thing to ever go on...and we had no hire car at all, but a had a helpful member of staff in the hotel, and a obliging Reserve Guide.

Another thing i have found out is that the Reserve Wardens in Menorca prefer to run tours in April or September/October time for the best sightings...so ask what trips they do at certain points in the year.

You could hire a cycle for your reserve trips as it gets you from one place to another in double time. Is there a bus service in the area?

Just some ideas and if you want to go out alone, that is a good idea too.

Love to hear how you get on. :-O

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Hi there Mark. I can't recommend a hotel there 'cos it's been several years since I last stayed in one in that area, but what I would say this: the nearest hotels are in Playa de Muro, which quite honestly is a touristy nightmare IMO. OK, there is a beach, but nothing else. I have stayed in Ca'n Picafort and walked into s'Albufera from there, obviously it's quite a bit further but it's all pleasant, and there's much more there for your family. Also you may know, the bus service along the coast road there is very good, so you could even stay in Alcudia and use that for your birding trips. And there is bike hire at many hotels too.

Hi Mark

Just a cautionary word:

Many of the hotels near s'Albufera (along Playa de Muro) are active supporters of the proposed golf course that has already resulted in a superb area for biodiversity (Son Bosc), which used to be within the Parc boundary, being almost totally destroyed - despite it being home to c.90% of the world population of a particular species of orchid. For additional information see
http://www.gobmallorca.com/sonbosc/sonbosceng.html

The local bus service is good, as has been said previously, so I would suggest staying in either Alcudia or C'an Picafort. The latter also has the advantage of being nearer to Son Real, which has a good range of species.

I can't recommend any hotels as when I go I am actually based in s'Albufera, as a visiting scientist associated with a project there (my next visit will be in early October).

Bike hire is easy from many hotels and shops and it's a good way of getting to some of the more remote areas of s'Albufera - it's a big place - over 1700 hectares!

I don't know if it will help but the tourist information office in C'an Picafort has e-mail ([email protected]).

Martin

If you wanted you could stay in Puerto Pollensa and get the bus to S'Albufera. The service is frequent, takes about half an hour and the last time I used it cost a Euro each way. There's a bus stop right at the entrance to S'Albufera.

That also gives you the option of being within walking distance of the Boquer Valley - another birding hotspot.

Hi Mark,
If you can don't hesitate to visit the Ornithological Tourism Center La Gola, at Port de Pollença!

Cristina.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back