Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Colin Willock, wildlife film maker, dies over weekend

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Wednesday 30th March 2005, 22:14   #1
Chris Monk
Registered User
 
Chris Monk's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts: 1,620
Colin Willock, wildlife film maker, dies over weekend

From C21Media web site:

UK wildlife veteran dies

Colin Willock, one of the founding fathers of British natural history film making, died over the weekend, following a short illness.

For over 30 years, Willock was the driving force behind Anglia Television's ITV natural history flagship strand Survival, which he set up in early 1961 alongside the show's host Aubrey Buxton, later a Lord and ceo of Anglia.

In all, Willock produced over 400 hours of wildlife programming, which sold into 100 territories, and published 36 books.


30 Mar 2005
Chris Monk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 30th March 2005, 22:30   #2
Barred Wobbler
Registered User
 
Barred Wobbler's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North of the wall, south of the border
Posts: 4,748
This is sad. Today's wildlife producers could learn much from looking at Colin's work.
Barred Wobbler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 07:36   #3
Nightranger
Senior Moment
 
Nightranger's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bury
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Seaton
This is sad. Today's wildlife producers could learn much from looking at Colin's work.
Indeed, it was the work of Colin that drew me into conservation.

Ian
__________________
'The Truth we learn by turning stones' - Judie Tzuke

Ian Peters
Nightranger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 08:13   #4
saluki
Registered User
 
saluki's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Peters
Indeed, it was the work of Colin that drew me into conservation.

Ian
He was a well-known figure in the shooting world too - wrote a weekly column in the 'Shooting Times' under the name 'Town Gun' for many, many years. His book 'Kenzie, the Wild Goose Man' - a biography of Kenzie Thorpe, professional wildfowler, poacher and handyman to Peter Scott, is a wonderful read.

saluki
saluki is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 08:28   #5
alan_rymer
Registered User
 
alan_rymer's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Woodley, Berkshire
Posts: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki
He was a well-known figure in the shooting world too - wrote a weekly column in the 'Shooting Times' under the name 'Town Gun' for many, many years. His book 'Kenzie, the Wild Goose Man' - a biography of Kenzie Thorpe, professional wildfowler, poacher and handyman to Peter Scott, is a wonderful read.

saluki
As is: "Landscape with solitary figure", bought it many years ago and still read it occaisionally
__________________
Alan

Its not an optical illusion!. It just looks like one!.
Latest Life bird: Yellow Browed Warbler 27/10/18
alan_rymer is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 09:54   #6
mcapper
Registered User
 
mcapper's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 461
This is indeed sad news and I would echo the words of others.

I read the Kenzie Thorpe biography many times as a kid. As Saluki says, a cracking read and one that introduced me to Peter Scott and his work.
mcapper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 19:22   #7
scoxie
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 129
He also edited the Anglers' Encyclopaedia many years ago, so long in fact that the write-up for each species included a recipe for that fish. I loved the recipe for Chub. It went something like this:

Take your gutted chub and lay it on grease proof paper. Cut two appropriately sized strips of cardboard to support the fish, then surround the fish with small onions, shallots and tomatos. Add some chopped parsley. Wrap fish, cardboard and vegetables in the grease proof paper and place on a baking tray in a pre-heated oven on gas mark 4 for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, unwrap the grease proof paper, discard the Chub and eat the cardboard.

The only way to eat Chub, apparently.

A great man from a different age.
scoxie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 19:55   #8
John Marshall
Registered User
 
John Marshall's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Boston Lincolnshire
Posts: 489
I have several books by Colin Willock, I knew Mackenzie Thorpe well and like other forum members have stated Colin's book "Kenzie - The Wild Goose man" is a great read.
Sorry that Colin has left us.
__________________
" Wildgoose " Marshall
John Marshall is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 20:49   #9
Ppedro
Registered User
 
Ppedro's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: England
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Monk
From C21Media web site:

UK wildlife veteran dies

Colin Willock, one of the founding fathers of British natural history film making, died over the weekend, following a short illness.

For over 30 years, Willock was the driving force behind Anglia Television's ITV natural history flagship strand Survival, which he set up in early 1961 alongside the show's host Aubrey Buxton, later a Lord and ceo of Anglia.

In all, Willock produced over 400 hours of wildlife programming, which sold into 100 territories, and published 36 books.


30 Mar 2005
Some of the Survival programmes are currently being shown on ITV3, seven o'clock mornings. Have caught bits of some of them and had forgotten just how ground breaking and brilliant they were.
Ppedro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 1st April 2005, 08:19   #10
Nightranger
Senior Moment
 
Nightranger's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bury
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppedro
Some of the Survival programmes are currently being shown on ITV3, seven o'clock mornings. Have caught bits of some of them and had forgotten just how ground breaking and brilliant they were.
Absolutely, and I think the thing that we should not forget is that these programmes were being made at the same time as Sir David A was involved in the Zoo Quest series. They lasted much longer and I would not mind betting that they influenced the way the "life" series was made. As a child, I liked Animal Magic and largely ignored Zoo Quest but Survival produced programmes that really got my imagination going. I wish I had digital TV because it would be interesting to see how the programmes have held up.

Ian
__________________
'The Truth we learn by turning stones' - Judie Tzuke

Ian Peters
Nightranger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bird rescue samina Say Hello 4 Wednesday 22nd September 2004 02:28
How to tell if a wing is broken b.meulmester Information Wanted 3 Tuesday 14th September 2004 12:05

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.17686105 seconds with 24 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:42.