Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Colin Willock, wildlife film maker, dies over weekend

Old Wednesday 30th March 2005, 22:14   #1
Chris Monk

Colin Willock, wildlife film maker, dies over weekend

From C21Media web site:

UK wildlife veteran dies

Colin Willock, one of the founding fathers of British natural history film making, died over the weekend, following a short illness.

For over 30 years, Willock was the driving force behind Anglia Television's ITV natural history flagship strand Survival, which he set up in early 1961 alongside the show's host Aubrey Buxton, later a Lord and ceo of Anglia.

In all, Willock produced over 400 hours of wildlife programming, which sold into 100 territories, and published 36 books.

30 Mar 2005
Old Wednesday 30th March 2005, 22:30   #2
Barred Wobbler

This is sad. Today's wildlife producers could learn much from looking at Colin's work.
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 07:36   #3
Nightranger
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Seaton
This is sad. Today's wildlife producers could learn much from looking at Colin's work.
Indeed, it was the work of Colin that drew me into conservation.

Ian

Ian Peters
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 08:13   #4
saluki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Peters
Indeed, it was the work of Colin that drew me into conservation.

Ian
He was a well-known figure in the shooting world too - wrote a weekly column in the 'Shooting Times' under the name 'Town Gun' for many, many years. His book 'Kenzie, the Wild Goose Man' - a biography of Kenzie Thorpe, professional wildfowler, poacher and handyman to Peter Scott, is a wonderful read.

saluki
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 08:28   #5
alan_rymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki
He was a well-known figure in the shooting world too - wrote a weekly column in the 'Shooting Times' under the name 'Town Gun' for many, many years. His book 'Kenzie, the Wild Goose Man' - a biography of Kenzie Thorpe, professional wildfowler, poacher and handyman to Peter Scott, is a wonderful read.

saluki
As is: "Landscape with solitary figure", bought it many years ago and still read it occaisionally

Its not an optical illusion!. It just looks like one!.
Latest Life bird: Yellow Browed Warbler 27/10/18

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 09:54   #6
mcapper

This is indeed sad news and I would echo the words of others.

I read the Kenzie Thorpe biography many times as a kid. As Saluki says, a cracking read and one that introduced me to Peter Scott and his work.
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 19:22   #7
scoxie

He also edited the Anglers' Encyclopaedia many years ago, so long in fact that the write-up for each species included a recipe for that fish. I loved the recipe for Chub. It went something like this:

Take your gutted chub and lay it on grease proof paper. Cut two appropriately sized strips of cardboard to support the fish, then surround the fish with small onions, shallots and tomatos. Add some chopped parsley. Wrap fish, cardboard and vegetables in the grease proof paper and place on a baking tray in a pre-heated oven on gas mark 4 for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, unwrap the grease proof paper, discard the Chub and eat the cardboard.

The only way to eat Chub, apparently.

A great man from a different age.
Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 19:55   #8
John Marshall

I have several books by Colin Willock, I knew Mackenzie Thorpe well and like other forum members have stated Colin's book "Kenzie - The Wild Goose man" is a great read.
Sorry that Colin has left us.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 31st March 2005, 20:49   #9
Ppedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Monk
From C21Media web site:

UK wildlife veteran dies

Colin Willock, one of the founding fathers of British natural history film making, died over the weekend, following a short illness.

For over 30 years, Willock was the driving force behind Anglia Television's ITV natural history flagship strand Survival, which he set up in early 1961 alongside the show's host Aubrey Buxton, later a Lord and ceo of Anglia.

In all, Willock produced over 400 hours of wildlife programming, which sold into 100 territories, and published 36 books.

30 Mar 2005
Some of the Survival programmes are currently being shown on ITV3, seven o'clock mornings. Have caught bits of some of them and had forgotten just how ground breaking and brilliant they were.
Old Friday 1st April 2005, 08:19   #10
Nightranger
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppedro
Some of the Survival programmes are currently being shown on ITV3, seven o'clock mornings. Have caught bits of some of them and had forgotten just how ground breaking and brilliant they were.
Absolutely, and I think the thing that we should not forget is that these programmes were being made at the same time as Sir David A was involved in the Zoo Quest series. They lasted much longer and I would not mind betting that they influenced the way the "life" series was made. As a child, I liked Animal Magic and largely ignored Zoo Quest but Survival produced programmes that really got my imagination going. I wish I had digital TV because it would be interesting to see how the programmes have held up.

Ian

Ian Peters
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: