• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eBird Spreadsheets? (1 Viewer)

MK90

Always learning
I used to be able to downloads the bar charts from ebird into an Excel spreadsheet. However, when I now click 'Download Histogram Data' I get a encoded (.txt) file.

Does anyone know if you can still download spreadsheets from eBird? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

When clicking on the Download Histogram Data the pop-up box gives me the option to Open with or Save File. In the Open with selection there's a side pull down menu with program options to select. When clicking on the Open with I can select the Microsoft Excel option or other and search the computer for an Excel equivalent (OpenOffice).

When selecting Microsoft Excel the data opens up with an xtx.xls extension. When selecting Save File the file has an .xtx extension.

If you do an Open with, the data migrates to the spread sheet. You can save it from there.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply SanAngelo. Now you mention it, i do remember this pop-up box appearing when i've tried to do this in the past. I'm just now getting that option at the moment.

I will attempt it on another devise and see if that helps.

This issue has raised it's head again. When i go to export the data from eBird I'm not given the option to open with excel and instead it just downloads as a useless encoded (.txt) file.

Has anybody else experienced this and found a way to resolve the issue?

I have always had it download as a *.csv file. Which steps do you go through? (more details please)

Niels

I click on Download Histogram Data and it automatically downloads it as a .txt file. However, i have managed to convert that into an excel file now. It's a little more long winded but at least i have the data i wanted.

Thanks anyway

OK, that is something I have not done in forever. I thought you were trying to download your own observations which is a thing one can do within "my ebird"

Niels

If you change the suffix of the downloaded file from ".txt" to ".tsv", you should be able to open it up in Excel (or OpenOffice or LibreOffice, etc.).

It's still a tab-separated file (oddly, not comma-separated).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back