• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seychelles info wanted (1 Viewer)

Allen

Hi

I am visiting the Seychelles with my partner in Oct 2018 and whilst it is in no way a birding holiday I would obviously like to see as many species as I can whilst there and with limited birding time. I am already reviewing a few trip reports but a few specific species that I would appreciate info on if anyone has any are below:

Black Parrots - at Vallee de Mai; are these easy to find without any guiding?
Crab Plover - is this a likely species in October and are there reliable sites
Seychelles Scops Owl - guide needed
Seychelles White Eye - guide needed
Seychelles Swiftlet - doable on own?
Seychelles Blue Pigeon?
Seychelles Kestrel?

Thanks in advance

Hello Allen,

some information are here.
http://www.seychellesbirdrecordscommittee.com/where-to-watch.html

Most important

"Note: Indigo Travel (e-mail [email protected]) on Praslin are excellent for birders thanks to their guide, Gemma Gessy, who is allowed to guide independently on Cousin. This is of great benefit to escape the large groups of non-birders."

see link

siehe picture, but the small street at the creek is not marked
Look when low tide will come. From the small street You will see an ambulance. Go behind this building. Drive to end of this small road until T crossing and turn left, than right. Than You will see a small open place with meadow. From there is also viewpoint.

see link at top

see link at top

not difficult, especially at La Digue

Seychelles Blue Pigeon?
everywhere where are enough trees

Seychelles Kestrel?
best on Mahe, I saw only 2 x

Thousends or Tentousends of seabirds You will see
near Airport Praslin after sunrise and 1 - 1,5 h before sunset, more in the evening
scope is needed
at Praslin Cote d'Or Beach only after sunrise, very view birds in the evening
scope is needed

at La Digue north at Anse Severe where the street is turning, but only in the morning, but seabirds often pass 50 - 100 m near the beach

at Mahe at Point au Sel, there will build a brigde to the coast, there the seabirds passed the closest at west coast, maybe Beau Vallon is better I do not know

see also
http://www.snpa.gov.sc/national-parks/morne-seychellois

best regards
Dieter

Attachments

• mahe.JPG
    mahe.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hi

I am visiting the Seychelles with my partner in Oct 2018 and whilst it is in no way a birding holiday I would obviously like to see as many species as I can whilst there and with limited birding time. I am already reviewing a few trip reports but a few specific species that I would appreciate info on if anyone has any are below:

Seychelles Blue Pigeon?
Seychelles Kestrel?

Thanks in advance

Black Parrot is easy. Just hang out in the parking lot in the afternoon, they should be flying around.

Seychelles Scops-Owl are quite common by voice, but can be a bit tricky to see. Mission Lidge parking lot is a good place to start, but they can be anywhere along that road. Or even at the white-eye spot.

White-eye is straightforward in La Misere. We had them two different mornings directly in front of the exotic gardens. I got some good recordings which will be on XC before your trip starts. They were very responsive to the recordings.

Swiftlets and Pigeon shouldn't be a problem.

Kestrel is widespread. We had it at the white-eye spot, mission lodge view point (best spot, they roost under the pavillion at the lookout. Just be there around dusk), parking lot for the Black Parrot, and near a yellow church on the southern side of La Digue.

Gps points for everything should be in Josh Beck's and mine eBird checklists.

Best,

Ross

Thanks all for the info, this might save me the excessive cost that a guide was going to charge for Mahe species

Ross

If you could let me know the GPS for La Misere and Mission Lodge that would be great, I think I know where they are on Google maps but just want to check

Ross

If you could let me know the GPS for La Misere and Mission Lodge that would be great, I think I know where they are on Google maps but just want to check

La Misere: -4.667797, 55.473844

Mission Lodge parking: -4.655086, 55.444237
Overlook/Kestrel roosting location: -4.655666, 55.445154

We heard the Scops Owl multiple spots along the road as well. Finally saw one at -4.659162, 55.438171

Also heard a Scops Owl mid morning just up the road at the white-eye spot mid morning (it was foggy). So worth a try if still looking for it.

Most gps info should be in ebird if you check.

Recordings of a bunch of stuff (including white-eye) will be uploaded to xeno-canto somewhat soonish.

Ross

The trip report was a great read and useful read, just interested if you looked for any Crab Plover at all?

Ross

The trip report was a great read and useful read, just interested if you looked for any Crab Plover at all?

I didn't. I had just seen them 2 weeks before on Mayotte so didn't bother. If I were to look I'd concentrate on the areas around Victoria. We checked a few locations on the west coast and didn't see much. I think Josh Beck might have seen some around Victoria the last day we were there but not sure. I went back to photograph the white-eye instead.

Ross

Thanks Ross, Dieter had actually provided info on sites around Victoria so I'll check these. Thanks for all the information

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back